Random Jimmy Z Tweets

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew that house looked familiar. I grew up a mile away from Fair Lawn, and used to ride BMX in that park all the time. When I saw his tweet it really looked like my home town to me, but I figured I was projecting and there was a million places that looked just like that. Unfortunately I don't have any relevant local legend about that house that I can share. I will say this though - there is a ton of "weird" shit all over New Jersey, hence the magazine Weird New Jersey. Within 20 miles of that area alone there's a ton of creepy stuff to check out, but this house isn't one of them. If he's tweeting a picture of this place, I'd have to think it's a very specific reference to something, and not just some vague "look at this legendary spooky place".

@83457 lives nearby, I think we need to have him investigate further. 

Great find @Lizizadolphin

Reading the Naugle House wiki page you come across Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de Lafayette which you also tweeted back to Jimmy (& he Favourited) So I guess that is who he is talking about.

Looking at his wiki page you see that "Lafayette was a key figure in the French Revolution of 1789 and the July Revolution of 1830."

Lafayette died on 20 May 1834, and is buried in Picpus Cemetery in Paris, under soil from Bunker Hill. For his accomplishments in the service of both France and the United States, he is sometimes known as "The Hero of the Two Worlds".

Lots of interesting links here to search through, somewhere within is a hint. Certain.

Edit ~ just some more about the actual house that Jimmy tweeted & Liz found. Apparently some of the history is a little bit smeared.

https://twitter.com/zielinskijimmy/status/572853895594000385

post-127987-0-72002100-1425465050.jpg

post-127987-0-52294500-1425465092_thumb.

http://www.hiddennj.com/2011/03/where-naugles-hide.html?m=1

This specific Fair Lawn Naugle house was built sometime in the 1740's or '50's, according to Preservation New Jersey, which placed the building on its Most Endangered list of 2007. The story on the wayside marker is in some doubt, as the property was originally deeded to a Vanderbeck, whose sister married a man named Brouwer who moved into the house and was eventually the paymaster for Lafayette's Light Division. Additionally, it's been determined that Lafayette visited the house in the 1790s, not 1824. No Naugle lived in the house until the 1800s, and then intermittently after that. In other words, the Fair Lawn College Club had the story totally wrong.

Wow good job you all!  Especially Liz, can't believe you found it.  How did you?

The connection to Paris, and the Battle of Bunker Hill, is interesting.

Check out this picture of the interior from the Hidden NJ site:

I looked up historic houses in NJ, since I knew it was protected, and saw the picture.