Revisiting Lullaby For A Deadman - an analysis

Lioss10

Hi

I will be examining @The Meh analysis for this song, and offer my thoughts on some of the interpretations and/or song lines. The Meh's analysis would be in red, while mine would be out of the quote.

Here we go!

------------------------------------------------------

Life is still spinning
Your end, my beginning
And everything I hoped for has been strangely set aside...

(Well, it's pretty obvious that some of them are still alive. Yet, really, it's just the beginning. As far as I see it, Samantha is taking an overview of the world, and realizing that the life she had before being trapped in the MPD is now gone.)

I believe this is how Samantha sees the world. Even when she entered MPD, and Maxis was killed right in front of her, life still continued, and this is the truth.

Spinning could also mean that nothing is gone, but rather ‘transferred’, like the law of conversation of energy

This law, first proposed and tested by Émilie du Châtelet, means that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, it can only be transformed or transferred from one form to another.  - Wikipedia

Also in the second line she says “your end, my beginning” which I think means that she would control their bodies, hence “life is spinning”

I think the third line is self-explanatory.

Reason for living
My mind is forgiving
And destiny is proving to be absent from my life...

(Again, the realization lingers with her. The future for her life that she would have desired to have, it's truly gone. At least, to her, that's how she sees it.)

I agree with The Meh, so no comment.

I know it, I feel it...
I know when you're sleeping...
I know the things you're dreaming...
And I know you will never give up and die!

(Samantha literally has omnipotence and omnipresence. She can see everything. So it would make sense that she knows when someone is sleeping/dreaming. And she begins to see that their effort is fruitless, that all they are doing is prolonging the inevitable. She finds more, though. She finds that they have the motivation to not succumb to the zombies, and will fight until the bitter end. She abhors that.)

I agree with The Meh (except in one point, will talk about it in the next comment), I also think that dreaming as in wishing, not dreaming in sleep.

Conscious fulfilling, the darkness revealing all
Thoughts and insecurities are shining like the sun...

(As I mentioned previously, Samantha has omnipotence and omnipresence. She has the power to know what you're thinking.)

I don’t believe she is omnipotent as in she knows what you think of, as there is no evidence to support this from what I know.

I think this means that when she overfloods them with zombies, they begin to show their cracks (thoughts and insecurities), and she loves it

Eyes are decieving
Your mind will stop breathing and
All that you are made of will now rightly become mine...

(Paranoia and such things would rise for many. That can be easily known. She can also sense when one person dies. And they will most likely be added into her "army" of the undead...)

I believe the first line means that you could win little battles (the rounds), and you might think you’re winning, but you are wrong. I agree with The Meh on the rest.

You know it, you feel it
I know when you're sleeping...
I know the things you're dreaming...
I love it when you're weeping...
Even death can't stop this feeling...
And I know you will never give up and die!

(There's been some change to Samantha. It seems as though she would be enjoying the suffering and such, in retrospect.)

Looks like she also like things other than tormenting, like taunting! I’m unsure of the reliability of the fourth line, did it really happen or is she just taunting, but doesn’t change the meaning that much

Father, why have you forsaken me?
My life is gone...
Father, you know how long it's taken me?
I live again!

(Samantha won't get used to Maxis's so-called "death". His "death" enraged her to this point of apocalypse. She lost her past life, but she sees that perhaps there is new life to be had.)

I agree with The Meh, no comment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This concludes the analysis!

I think I will continue with this format, and at the end of each game I will make a topic that would contain links for everysong for that title (The more I think about it, the more I am cloning what The Meh did lol)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
41 minutes ago, Lioss10 said:
Life is still spinning
Your end, my beginning
>Spinning could also mean that nothing is gone, but rather ‘transferred’, like the law of conversation of energy

That part of 'your end, my beginning' grabs me. We've known since Black Ops (based on character quotes) that when we kill a zombie, it only makes the controller within Aether stronger.  @NaBrZHunter visualized this as processing power, that when we kill a zombie (your end), there is a transference of Ethereal energy from the deceased corpse to the Controller, which uses it to send more zombies (my beginning). The more zombies we kill, the higher round we will reach and the more zombies will come. Perhaps this could also be meant with this sentence?

46 minutes ago, Lioss10 said:

I believe the first line means that you could win little battles (the rounds), and you might think you’re winning, but you are wrong. I agree with The Meh on the rest.

Like this explanation. Good breakdown, further!

1 hour ago, anonymous said:

We've known since Black Ops (based on character quotes) that when we kill a zombie, it only makes the controller within Aether stronger.

Oh, I didn't know about that. Yeah it would make so much sense in that context. But I wouldn't say there is one meaning to it, for example the second explanation

2 hours ago, Lioss10 said:

which I think means that she would control their bodies

would also make sense, since if they die Samantha's reign over the earth would begin, and it connects well with the theme of resistance "You won't give up and die"

1 hour ago, anonymous said:

Like this explanation. Good breakdown, further!

Thanks!

Archived