Failure Without YouTube (Too Much Complexity)

I don't like Origins. Shame, considering the amount of aesthetic value it holds.

It's a gorgeous map ... reminds me of the WaW days. Zombies should be gritty -- and I think Treyarch's come to that realization. Good. But with much of Origins (and Black Ops II zombies), they've pushed the complexity too far. Way too far. To the point of requiring YouTube instructions!

From a business standpoint: doesn't it make sense to keep your game accessible? Not "dumbed-down", accessible. Why make some of your map's biggest features (ex: the staffs) unattainable to new players? Or to anyone uninterested in watching YouTube tutorials?

This isn't exclusive to Origins, either. Buildables - some of which are practically required for gameplay - would be made unreasonably difficult to achieve without the aid of online location walkthroughs. And you know what? I don't want to build an airplane every 15 minutes. I don't want to go scurrying around for sliquifier parts every Die Rise playthrough. It's tedious and utterly inaccessible.

This isn't a "back to basics" request; I just wanna have fun, man. And most of Black Ops II zombies is way too damn complicated. Black Ops 1 managed to introduce tons of new features without alienating me ... can we please get back to that? Back to the "olden days"?

Looking forward to November.

Edited by SeasonSix
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep I've said pretty much the same before. Buried, MOTD and Origins are wars of attrition to start, and just not zombies.

I wrote a guide on Origins and did a little CODZ video for MOTD. Whilst I enjoyed learning them and doing the guides, having to do all that stuff is just ball breaking each time.

I argued with Dahniska on this when he used to say its easy, watch this kinda thing. Its only easy once you have done it 50 times before and know it all intimately. Whatever anyone says zombies just shouldn't be that complicated each and every game.

I found those threads to link:

MOTD - video is embedded near the bottom http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/154972-chopper-motd-start/

Origins - the whole OP shows the complexity of that crazy map http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/157871-how-to-chop-up-origins/

I find myself playing Black Ops I more so now than ever before. I hate the fact in Black Ops II, It takes me at least 30 minutes to an hour to get setup for a solo high round game. The only exceptions being Nuketown & the Survival maps.

So if/when I'm screwing around & get downed there's game over & an hour wasted (don't buy QR until 35+). So now I have to spend that same amount of time doing it all over every single game just to make them playable. Given the fact I'm a solo high round player, I find it more tedious than anything.

I definitely agree with you. In all of the Black Ops maps, you can jump in haul ass & in an hour be on round 35+. The "Good Ol' Days" were a thing of beauty & Treyarch tried fixing something that wasn't broken. Hopefully they've learned from there mistakes. We shall see come November...

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't tie the EE to basic progression. In all your examples, if you want the WW's, you are doing the EE. You can get the Blunder out of the box, but not the Acid, and in MOTD, PAP is tied to the EE.

There is a place for the EE, as a side quest to complete, not tied directly to progress.

The buildables are terrible and should be taken out. If people still want the shield, make it a box thing.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't tie the EE to basic progression. In all your examples, if you want the WW's, you are doing the EE. You can get the Blunder out of the box, but not the Acid, and in MOTD, PAP is tied to the EE.

There is a place for the EE, as a side quest to complete, not tied directly to progress.

The buildables are terrible and should be taken out. If people still want the shield, make it a box thing.

Couldn't agree more. I love the Side Quests/Easter Eggs. Just don't make it where the only way to play (specific) map is by forcing us to do the S.Q./E.E. every single f*****g game. Sh!+ gets real old real fast. Origins is my favorite BOII map but I hate it for this reason.

EDIT: One thing I believe they did right are the Hells Retriever/Reedeemer & Golden Spork in MotD. Those are legitimate cool Easter Eggs. There not a necessity for the map to be playable, but damn there sure as hell fun to use.

Edited by Ragdo11706

Agreed on the Spork, and retriever. You don't need them to play, but are a nicw bonus.

MOTD still forces you to jump through unnecessary hoops to use PAP though, which is super annoying if you do it multiple times.

Yea agreed, definitely. Every map on BOII had you doing some stupid ridiculous task every single game in order for the map to be playable past round 35+. With the exception of Nuketown & the survival maps. These are the exact reasons I said Treyarch were trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

For me whenever I play MotD I go to the bridge once the entire game. I make sure I have the BlunderGat to PaP into the Vitriolic Withering (VDub) & the Retriever to upgrade to the Redeemer.