Evil Dead and Nazi Zombies and Time Travel

yourmapper

As a big fan of both Evil Dead and Nazi Zombies, I can't help but notice similarities between the two, ever since Nacht der Untoten. I thought I'd put some comparison images together and see if you all noticed other similarities.

First in Nacht, there is the beginning of the chalk outlines on weapons. Here's the same thing in Evil Dead 2.

Now skip ahead to Origins. Maxis could have made 'copies' of his own staves, that were sent into the past with the O4. The O4 went back in time with the staves when they entered the portal at the end of the side quest. They were welcomed as powerful heroes, knighted as Templars, and then sealed off the evil until Maxis uncovered it again in WW1, Then Maxis recovered his own now broken staves during WW1, and created 'copies' of them. Possible the O4 returned to the present somehow and Richtofen erased their memories of all this.

The same thing happens in Evil Dead. In the final scene of ED2, where Ash is sent back in time with modern weapons, hailed as the Hero from the Sky, 'knighted', then vanquishes the evil (though he didn't do a very good job, like he foreshadows in an earlier comment :), and returns to the present time. The parallels are astounding.

The found etching pieces in Origins match up visually to the end of ED2 as well.

And even Tank, who of the O4 is most like Ash, is posed in exactly the same way that Ash posed.

This similar plotline can give us insight into how Origins happened and how the time loop can work.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice thread, YourMapper.

Bruce Campbell is by far one of my favorite actors - and now that I think of it, Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and Evil Dead Army of Darkness were the first horror movies I ever watched.

In the final scene of ED2, where Ash is sent back in time with modern weapons, hailed as the Hero from the Sky, 'knighted', then vanquishes the evil

True, BUUUUUUUT (Evil Dead fanboy incoming) - in Evil Dead: Army of Darkness, they change that around. No longer is Ash hailed as "Hero from the Sky", in fact he is put in chains and sentenced to death. Not until he proves himself with his boomstick is he sent on his quest to vanquish evil.

I'm surprised you didn't mention The Necronomicon, or "The Book of the Dead"

The circular symbols remind me of the MoTD PaP texture:

The symbols/writing remind me a lot of this wall in MoTD:

and behind the PaP:

The necronomicon, or Book of the Dead - is essentially an ancient evil book that can unlock the power to perform reanimation, dark magic, etc.

I'm pretty sure that at one point, we will encounter the Necronomicon (or something like it) in the zombies storyline.

Nice thread, YourMapper.

Bruce Campbell is by far one of my favorite actors - and now that I think of it, Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and Evil Dead Army of Darkness were the first horror movies I ever watched.

I think Evil Dead 1 was the first horror movie I saw. I think I was 8. Sheesh.

Yeah I'm a big fan of his. I got Bruce's signature on an Army of Darkness movie poster I got from a theater I worked at the summer it came out when he was touring around for Brisco County Jr. Nice guy.

In the final scene of ED2, where Ash is sent back in time with modern weapons, hailed as the Hero from the Sky, 'knighted', then vanquishes the evil

True, BUUUUUUUT (Evil Dead fanboy incoming) - in Evil Dead: Army of Darkness, they change that around. No longer is Ash hailed as "Hero from the Sky", in fact he is put in chains and sentenced to death. Not until he proves himself with his boomstick is he sent on his quest to vanquish evil.

You are right. In ED2 the final quote of the movie comes from an armored man when Ash dropped from the sky with his car and shot the head off a flying Deadite with his boomstick:

"All hail he who has come from the skies to deliver us from the terrors of the Deadites!"

But as soon as ED3 started he was chained up and taken prisoner and mistaken for an enemy group lead by Henry (really this makes little sense based on the end of ED2). Over the course of the movie, he steps up, dons some armor, saves the castle with his boomstick, chemistry skills, and armored Deadite chopper car. Then he's finally a hero, and they tell him how to get back to his own time with a potion and an incantation.

What did the dude with the afro say at the end of the "Surprise" video for black ops 2?

"Zombies, Groovy" Ash's catchphrase from ED2 & ED3.

I was going to say the Boomstick bit, but ya'll beat me to it.

If you haven't seen these films yet, then you need to ASAP.

Great stuff.

Was thinking the same thing with "Hail to the king" AX7. Make the perfect EE for a back in medieval times map.

@ l GRILL l Dude, you get phantom brainz for that post.

Regards Alpha.

"Zombies, Groovy" Ash's catchphrase from ED2 & ED3.

Was thinking the same thing with "Hail to the king" AX7. Make the perfect EE for a back in medieval times map.

AH good call man. I had totally forgotten about the "groovy" line from the white afro guy. I remember when I saw that, I could only think of Bruce Campbell. And the AX7 song - another wise catch. It was another one of Ash's catchphrase's "Hail to the king, baby".

@ l GRILL l Dude, you get phantom brainz for that post.

Thanks Alpha - but I'm not done

Remember the shack in TranZit/Green Run?

Granted all shacks look a like, but the shack from Evil Dead reminds me of the TranZit shack.

I'll have to do some interior examination as well. The TranZit shack had TONS of skulls inside of it, I believe we agreed they were Denizen skulls - but I don't think it was ever confirmed (much like most of the storyline).

• 1 year later...