What's in a name?

TheKingOfToast

What does "Thrustodyne Aeronautics Model 23" mean?

So far, every weapon has had a normal name (m14, MP40 etc.)

When PaP'd they have different names, at first (WaW) they were jokey/cool names like .375 plus 1 K1l-u, or C-3000 b1at-ch35, or were changed to include 115 in the name like the Gewehr 37 being the G115.

In black ops they kept with the cooler names but made them more relevent to the original like FN FAL to EPC WN, or Python to Cobra

Now in black ops 2 the pap'd have been names with Words in place of the letters (backronyms), like RPD into Relativistic Punishment Device, or MTAR into Malevolent Taxonomic Anodized Redeemer, or they have names similar to the previous games.

The wonder weapons have always had relevent names. Ray Gun is a ray gun and turns into the X2 implying it was second. The DG-2 turns into the DG-3 and if I'm not mistaken we know of a DG-1 prototype (correct?) And when we had the V-R11 since we know there isn't V-R1 through 10 we found out that it was named after Vril.

So what's the deal?

Thrustodyne is not a real word. However Thrust is.

Thrust

v.tr.

1. To push or drive quickly and forcibly.

or alternatively

n

1. A forceful shove or push.

-dyne is infact a suffix. However I could not find a specific meaning for it I could find 2 definitions of words containing that suffix.

homodyne

(physics, of radiation) Pertaining to two waves which originate from a single radiation source, or have exactly the same frequency.

and

heterodyne

Of, two oscillations, having two slightly different frequencies such that, when combined, they produce a beat.

Knowing that homo means same and hetero means different we can conclude that -dyne has something to do with waves and oscillations.

Therefore, Thrustodyne would most like mean waves that push or drive forcefully and quickly.

Aeronautics is a word meaning

n. (used with a sing. verb)

1. The design and construction of aircraft.

2. The theory and practice of aircraft navigation.

So Thrustodyne Aeronautics would imply that it was designed for and aircraft using forceful pushes and drives.

We all know what Model and the Number 23, but what is the relevance?

I saw one theory of the sign in nuketown with the symbols on the sign saying that the bicycle represents 2 and that they Trinity symbol represents 3 and that the sign needs to be on 23 for something to happen.

I don't know, just a question; what's the point of the name.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"Thrust"

to push forcibly; shove; put or drive with force

"O"

"Dyne"

the dyne is defined as "the force required to accelerate a mass of one gram at a rate of one centimetre per second squared"

The names dyne and erg were first proposed as units of force and energy in 1861 by Everett.[2] The natural units listed in the same text (see Farad in this reference), are those of the metre-gram-second emu.[clarification needed]

The names were reused in 1873 by a Committee of the British Association[3] (of which Everett was reporter) that proposed using the centimetre-gram-second system for electrical and dynamical systems.

Overthinking it..

Thrustodyne Aeronautics is the company that made the rocket.. It's their model #23 rocket body..

Pretty simple.

What company are they referencing? (bloodhound = greyhound) I know that's not a real company. Why is that the company name etc.

Why model 23? Why did they choose that number? Where are models 1-22? All things that can be answered. I know when you are a kid you give things name like that to make them sound cooler, but in the real world, and in the CoD Zombies world they have always been named the way they are for a reason. Or at least I haven't seen any evidence otherwise.

Hey all- joined up here seeing as the Activision forum seems a bit too troll at times- not to mention less organized.

Quick looking into the name of the gun, the Model 23 could be referring to the famous Learjet that existed between '64-'66, and also spawned a slew of revisions and models afterwards. I believe NASA had their fingers dipped into this project too...

Hey all- joined up here seeing as the Activision forum seems a bit too troll at times- not to mention less organized.

Quick looking into the name of the gun, the Model 23 could be referring to the famous Learjet that existed between '64-'66, and also spawned a slew of revisions and models afterwards. I believe NASA had their fingers dipped into this project too...

Thank-you!

That is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

This makes it plausible that the Jet Engine was from said Learjet. Seeing as how they were produce '62-'66 it is consistent with the time frame, and seeing has how they are still in use, it is also consistent with any present/future theories as well.

It had 2 of these bad boys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbojet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_CJ610

I don't know how to determine the size of something from a picture, but I would say it looks about the right size as well.

So I guess the new question would be: what does this tell us? Just an interesting tid-but or do you think there is more to it?