Ignamo Jubilus - note

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken Classical Latin for years, and I can honestly say this baffles me. First of all, there is no J consonant in Latin, so the word we'd want here would actually be "iubilus." It's actually an extremely rare word referring to a joyful song, and it's a noun. However, I cannot find any way to translate "ignomo." The translator which came up with "disgrace" seems to have assumed a typo for the word "ignominia," which does, in fact, mean disgrace. However, there is no declension of that word that could possibly lead to such a form. Likewise, there is no declension of "nomen" (where this originally comes from) that would end in an O.

This leads me to two possibilities: whoever translated this Latin did a poor job, or it is a rare Biblical and/or Medieval dialect. I would like to have enough faith to believe the latter, but as of yet I'm not sure. I'd be happy to have someone in the Latin department at my university have a look at this next week.

If you guys are using translators, they are probably trying to translate it from Classical Latin. It often messes up things that LOOK like things when they are not, for instance "jubilus" looks like it should mean joy, but as far as Classical Latin, it doesn't. At any rate, I'd like to know which translators are being used so I can try to determine what Latin sources they draw from. I'll continue working on it in the meantime.