Dead of Night: Noah and Connor- A short story

--

As the wheels of the freight train came to a grinding halt, the screech of the brakes filled this silent and cold night with its sound. Praying we still had time to run to the checkpoint before the horde of flesh eaters got to our position, we jumped off and landed in a sprint, trudging through the deep snow covered hills of the countryside. The only people Noah and I managed to find on our last scouting trip was this rag tag group of 'good samaritans'. I use this term scornfully for the fact of that matter is that they don't believe in killing the zombies, for they've died once, why should they die again? That's their thinking. Why murder a soul-less vessel that has slain almost half the country in a matter of two days?! It is not my place to correct ones such ignorance to the world, so i let it be. Needless to say, i didn't waste giving them any of my weapons...

All in all, there's 6 of us, only two being fighters against the undead, the other four-- Well let's just say I consider them more of bait than allies at this moment, to me, they're already dead--

As we were running through the think forest we spotted a dim flickering of lights up ahead, we think we found the checkpoint that we heard about over the radio last night. We heard it was one of the very few safe zones of the area, filled with only the most ruthless of men. We discovered the trail that would lead us to the entrance and stealthfully glided down it towards this safe haven. All was quiet in the night, asides the sounds from the wind and the occasional bird call. I told the group to stay behind while i go scout ahead. I slowly approached the structure, so as to see if i could see any humans that were alive. Still, ten feet away from the building, i was standing alone in complete silence. I approached the doors more rapidly to a more vivid detailed view of the building.

"Well the windows are still boarded up...that's good news." -- i thought to myself. I tried the door, it was locked. I tried whistling to see if i would get a response, i didn't.

So i went around the building to see if i could find an alternate route in.

--"ssttsshh. Connor, if you're not back in five minutes in coming in after ya. So make sure you come back, over" I had almost forgotten i left the group alone on the road, Noah was a strong man, he can fend for himself so i thought little of it. I found a way in, so in i went. I slowly lifted myself over the window sill and found myself in a pitch black room, absent from all light except that of the red light on a blinking radio i see peculiarly perched on the desk. I silently whispered 'hello'. Still no one answered. The power seems to not be working. It's either that or no light-switch seems to be functioning properly.

I heard a thud on the floor above me, followed again by..you got it. Silence.

I found the nearest stair case and launched myself up its steps, hoping to find this group of people that would help protect us from this horrible infection. I got up the stairs and still no sign of life has revealed itself to me. Perhaps i have the wrong building? No it couldn't be. The coordinates were correct by all means. And how else would you explain the boarded windows and two-way radio?

Something wasn't right here, where is everyone? Surely not all of them could have been over-run in a single night.

I heard a thud again. and again. and again. I followed the only one of my five senses that worked in this place, my hearing. I followed my ears to what i believed to be a door way, took out my flashlight and turned on the faint light that still emitted from this weakened instrument. I heard the thud again, except this time i heard a little girl laughing to hersef, very faintly. I know whatever was making the sound was behind this door. I wielded my handgun that i kept in my leg cuff and slowly opened the door, ready for anything. the moment i went in, i noticed one thing and one thing only. A single teddy bear sitting in the center of this empty room, with no little girl in sight. I thought maybe i had the wrong room, for this is nothing but a stuffed bear. Something, or someone was making that sound, and what of the laughter, i know i heard it. "Damned Bear..."

I bent over to go reach for it and at the very moment when i was as far as an inch away from the bears face...

--ssttshhh. Connor! ssttsshh. Connor where are you?! We're coming in, they found us, i repeat they found us!"

Before i could respond i was taken hold by a man telling me to shush. I pulled my gun on him and he released me. He told me to silence my "talking tool" or else"you'll be caught!" the man said. I stood there in mystery, who was this man, and who would i be caught by? He glanced behind me and saw the teddy bear and made a look on his face that i can not get out of my head to this day. He stood frozen in his tracks, not moving at all, not even a blink. At that moment he was grabbed from behind by an Eater. A very loud Eater might i add. he took a bite of this mans shoulder very close to the neck. I was then released from my gaze and quickly drew my hand gun and shot them both dead center in the head. I looked behind me to notice that the teddy bear had vanished. I was taken by surprise, where did it go? But i had no time to think, i rushed down the staircase to see Noah protecting himself and the group from the oncoming hordes of the undead. "Reinforcements have arrived Noah!" i yelled sarcastically.

"Where are the rest of the people?". I simply looked at him and nodded my head left and right. "Figures. We would be stuck in this **** hole by ourselves. It's kind of ironic, here we thought we were in the safe haven, yet here we are, fighting for our lives for the first time in two days"

He had a point.

Once the rest of the attackers were slaughtered by our modern day weaponry i noticed we were missing two people. I didn't say anything for i could tell that the rest of the group was still in shock by their loss.

I asked Noah if he had a heard a little girl at all. He said no he didn't hear her...but what he then told me stunned me ever more.

He said he didn't HEAR any girl, but right before he radio'd me, he said he SAW a little girl standing in the window of the room i was in.

"but the room was empty when i walked in. All i saw was a teddy bear and a man--" then I remembered the bear. I can't seem to possibly figure out what had happened to it. There was no one in the room except for me, no one could have touched the bear let alone taken it without me noticing. Have i gone mad, or have we all just gone insane? Little girls, vanishing teddy bears..crazy men in the abandoned house.

Maybe we have all gone mad...

(to be continued)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic