Boring guy's call to the zombies team

Hi, it's the boring guy here.

We are still a good year away from the next zombies game, and at this point we can only speculate and suggest. Everyday we have people suggesting map locations or weapon ideas, to better market the next game. The boring guy thinks Treyarch should pay more attention to the gameplay to be successful, and less on the atmosphere.

Here are the details.

Give us options

My two least favorite games, COTD and Buried, offer little variety when it comes to gameplay. Every game on COTD has the same basic set up and same basic strategy, and the same could be said for Buried. Both maps offer little room for the players to try different things. As a result the maps get boring quickly. COTD would have been more popular with one more decent training location, plus a trap or two. Buried is a camping only map, would have been much better with a few training locations, plus a second wonder weapon designed for run and gun. Treyarch so far has had the one wonder weapon per map policy, with a few exceptions. I strongly feel the maps would benefit greatly with a second tactical wonder weapon. Let one wonder weapon be a killing machine, the other more of an effect weapon along the lines of Winters Howl or the shrink ray.

Bigger isn't better

I have heard time and time again how great maps like Tranzit and Moon are. Maps like MOTD and Origins are large detailed maps, but do not directly translate into more fun. In fact, all four big maps are in the bottom of my favorite list, because of their size. We waste so much time running from place to place that could have been more productive. Larger maps have the tendency to drag and last forever in between rounds.

Time is money.

Once major factor BO2 has over BO1 is the time consumption of the rounds. Sure we waste a ton of time waiting for the bus or the elevator, but killing zombies have never been faster and more furious. Stronger weapons that kill more quickly and efficiently contributed to it. Congested spawn locations and better flow will also help. When the game is faster, more can be accomplished. I don't mean make it easier, just faster.

Coop management

You look at the pain we endured from Shang and Moon, and the crap we engulfed in order to build the staffs, you have to ask "why?". I believe Treyarch has a pretty decent grasp of how co-op works, and they want you to find the joy within teamwork. What they need to do is reconfigure team concept, but rid of the many many many flawed teamwork gaffe. Teamwork should be a bonus, not a prerequisite. I rarely play coop on BO2, even though I enjoy coop more, simply because I cannot endure the pain anymore.

Leaderboards and ranking systems

Treyarch spend a ton of effort and money into the Leaderboards on BO2, but in my mind too flawed to be considered successful. There were many great new features, but also many new problems. I admit I was too conscious of my stats on BO2, taking away much fun from the game itself. A basic Leaderboard and less complex ranking system would suffice. On a separate but similar note, please take away bank and fridge.

Better quotes

Whoever was in charge of the quotations on BO2 should be demoted back to internship, because he was awful. BO1 quotes was cleverly basic and entertaining, BO2 was painful boring and stupid. I basically forgoe BO2 sounds altogether for music because it was nonchalant and irrelevant. Treyarch has always been clever with hidden quotes, IE Easter egg hunt and such, and they need to take another step reconstructing quotes into gameplay. Make interesting quotes, and interesting quotes that could potentially effect gameplay.

Thanks for reading, I hope more people agree, especially the guys at the 3 circles.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I agree and disagree a little of this. You have your head in the right place I guess? Uhhh to me bigger is better because bigger means more opportunities to be successful in a zombie game. It always gives the devs more to do and more things to add in. But then again bigger could be bad because of all the things. Simplicity is good but some zombie slayers like the advancements.

I agree with you on the ranking. Ranking in BO2 is seriously flawed. If you think about, if you are beginner and you are just starting out to play zombies you are going to suck because you do not know the map nor do you know what to do and the objectives. Thus causing everything to go down. If you are like me you started out sucking but as you progressed you do become better. But I've trying forever to rank up but as I progress through I think to myself is it worth it. You cannot compare a skull with blues to a shotgun. Half the time I see a crossed bone player better than a shotgun. So really it should all go back to BO1 days with just high round instead of worrying about people leaving because they got down.

Some quotes do need to be thought out more but not all of them. I heard 3arch was going to retire the new crew and just bring back the old crew. Don't quote me on that though I'm not sure if that's reliable or not.

Bigger can be better, but in BO2 it just led to tedium. Take the Origins EE for example. Today, I played a 5-6 hour game, it took well over an hour to get to 20 doing the EE so we could continue on. For the next 41 rounds, excluding breaks, it took just over 3 hours.

A complex EE is good, but Origins isn't complex, just tedious, especially on solo...

A map like Tranzit is big just for the sake of being big. There is so much useless space between useful spots, and basically a down meant a death.

For all of the things that BO2 did very well, they messed with very simple things that made BO1 such a great game. In any BO1 map the way you were spaced out meant there was a great chance you could revive a downed teammate, even if you were on opposite sides of the map. In BO2, in every map, if you were too spaced out, reviving a mate was impossible. Try and revive someone downed at town from Dinner, or someone at the docks when you're in the cafeteria. How about gen 3 to gen 4, or the Buddha room to the roof top. It just won't work 9/10 times.

I agree about the ranking system, that is why I think a hybrid system would be best. Have a time based one (multi) to go along with a skill based one. I don't mind playing with people that aren't good, but they go down 4 times and leave because they don't want to lose rank. It isn't right, so the time based would show that they put a lot of time into zombies.

Expand the leaderboards, and make them visible without being friends. It couldn't be that hard to include melee kills, WW kills, and total games played and completed (just a %).

You want more WW's? 3 people with RG's, and a fourth with the sliquifier isn't enough? What about 3 people with RG's, and all four with staffs... The two Blundergats, the list goes on. There are far too many as is, they are a part of the game now so taking them out is going to be impossible, but adding more is not a solution. We aren't meant to be super heroes running around with one hit kill weapons.

Very good post BestOfAllTime32.

Actually I didn't say I'm hoping for two one hit kill wonder weapons per map, I said a killing machine wonder weapon and a tactical wonder weapon. I agree that two WWs would be too much.

I hate big maps that are big for no reason, as you mentioned.

Actually I didn't say I'm hoping for two one hit kill wonder weapons per map, I said a killing machine wonder weapon and a tactical wonder weapon. I agree that two WWs would be too much.

I understand what you mean. So like COTD then? I can get down with that. I misunderstood what you meant originally. The VR11 was an interesting dynamic.

By tactical do you mean things like gersh device matroshka dolls hells retriever etc or support types like winters howl and vr11?

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk