The Witness

So, for those who don't know, a few days ago a game called "The witness" was released on Steam. It's a BEAUTIFUL game. But it's not worth 40 USD. SO I've been watching lets-plays of it. 

It's a great game with a simple concept: Learn, then try.  The game it's self lets you play as a single person with no idea to your own identity, lost on this island, covered in panels, to which you are armed with nothing but an interface that lets you trace lines. If you're smart, you can unlock doors and complete challenges involving perception, and rules you may or may not be aquited with yet. 

The most impressive thing about the game however, is it's SIZE. The island is HUGE and jam packed with over 500 normal puzzles and 200 environmental puzzles. As you progress you find audio logs containing philosophical reasonings and holes and rocks that when looked at from the perfect angle, becomes a picture. Use everything and notice everything. As nothing is taught to you through word, or image. Do. Fail. Try. Succeed. Learn. Fail again. 

One of the biggest enemies in the game is you. Yes you. While the puzzles will try their hardest to teach you concepts like "The white dots and the black dots need to be separated". You can end up learning this incorrectly. Then when the rule appears on another puzzle, you can sit there for hours attempting solutions you think should work, but don't because what you were taught is wrong. And I think that's the philosophical point of the game.

All in all it's a great experience just watching the game unfold. It's TRULY marvelous. No spoilers, but if you want to share your thoughts on the game I'd love to hear them. 

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought this game for PS4 a while ago (more than a while ago actually :D).

I really like the puzzles and how hard they are, and when you finally solve you're like oh it was so simple after all. I haven't nearly completed the game yet though since it requires to be very patient to solve the puzzles sometimes. I literally have to stop playing every once in a while just to prevent myself for looking solutions to the puzzles and so far haven't looked any solutions but the progression is a bit slow because of that. 

I also like how the environments look so calm and beautiful :3 It's really fun to explore new areas and unlock places by completing puzzles :)

It was a bit expensive though... 40€ might feel like a lot but if you like puzzle games then I'd suggest to try it :)