Ending Cutscene: Maxis is using an Intercom (spoilers ahead)

GRILL

To anyone who HAS NOT done the EE in Origins and watched the coinciding ending cut scene - beware of the spoilers ahead.

For the sake of this thread - you have to have seen the ending cutscene...

go ahead and click here to be magically whisked away to view the cutscene in our Easter Egg Ending discussion thread.

Step 1: Hear me out

Audio is my thing. I've been recording music forever, I edit/produce audio for interviews, "hearing stuff that you don't hear" is what I excel at.

Maxis is talking through an intercom, walkie-talkie, or HAM radio. For lack of a better term, you can clearly hear his "start of transmission crackle", and "end of transmission crackle". It is essentially a little blip of white noise that you will hear directly before he starts speaking, and directly after he is done speaking.

Below I have provided an example video that features Maxis' full transcript 3 times, the "start of transmission crackle" 3 times, and the "end of transmission" crackle 3 times - along with a 4th slowed down "end of transmission crackle".

Treyarch were super smart when it came to disguising the "transmission crackles", you have to listen close - but hopefully my video will help you hear it.

Step 2: Hear it for yourself

3PgSA16mL-k

link for mobile: http://youtu.be/3PgSA16mL-k

In the very first example, the time signatures for the start and end transmission crackles are "00:02" & "00:08". As I said above, I replay them several times - but for those who are exact I figured I'd give the specific times.

*video credit to DalekJD.

Step 3: Let me hear what you think

A lot of people have been divided about this ending. Heck, I sure have. But given time, this ending cut scene has some very peculiar things going on towards the end. I'm really not sure why Maxis would be on an intercom, or why he'd have an intercom system in his house?

The first time we heard Maxis in BO2, it was through an intercom in TranZit. Full circle, man - because the last time we hear Maxis in BO2... it's through an intercom. :mrgreen:

What do you lovely CoDz-sters think?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is just natural for Maxis. In fact, almost every time we've ever heard from Maxis, it wasn't his actual voice. Der Riese he spoke through radios. Moon he spoke through the PA. TranZit, same thing. Die Rise and Buried he speaks through speakers. And in Origins he speaks through the Drone's voice box. I think it is almost a running gag that Maxis speaks electronically.

(Although when Maxis wins Buried he breaks that gag.)

Good points Murder - Maxis sure loves his mediums.

This is less trying to prove something about what medium he's using, and more so to prove that there is something deeper going on than what the initial cut scene shows. I hadn't seen this topic discussed at all, so hopefully it's not old news by now - but I figured I'd make a thread to show people who were convinced that "it's all a game" that something deeper is happening.

Obviously, Maxis uses the intercom to communicate with Samantha a lot - because she looks totally calm. Wouldn't you be a little worried if your dad had to use an intercom to tell you to go down to the basement while ominous sirens ring from outside? Why are these children not scared? What we are witnessing them doing (hearing dad on the intercom, locking the windows, going to the basement) is normal to them, and that is the strangest thing of all.

A lot of people have been divided about this ending. Heck, I sure have. But given time, this ending cut scene has some very peculiar things going on towards the end. I'm really not sure why Maxis would be on an intercom, or why he'd have an intercom system in his house?

The first time we heard Maxis in BO2, it was through an intercom in TranZit. Full circle, man - because the last time we hear Maxis in BO2... it's through an intercom. :mrgreen:

What do you lovely CoDz-sters think?

Good job GRILL you can hear it pretty well with your work here. You bring up a great point too , why if he has to use electricity to power such things like an intercom are the children using candles to light a room . When the children leave the room , do you think they go into a sub basement that has advanced technology to support his endeavors .

Could it be another Tranzit like town where it isn't what it appears to be on the outside . Also when we activate power in Tranzit, in town you hear the same siren (I know , I know you don't have to give me the siren lecture) but it is the same AND wouldn't you say Marlton and Misty are team Maxis while Stu and Russ are team Richtofen ? Well Russ and Stu did find Marlton and Misty in Tranzit according to the Buried cutscene . But I digress ....

The fact remains Maxis is communicating through the telecoms again which lead us to believe what ?

1. He may not actually be present at this house physically ?

2. He might be a brain in a glass jar or other anonymous vessel .(and cant come to the room)

3. This house is bigger than we think and is equipped with hidden technology to not draw any unwanted attention to a diabolical mastermind .

Good points Murder - Maxis sure loves his mediums.

This is less trying to prove something about what medium he's using, and more so to prove that there is something deeper going on than what the initial cut scene shows. I hadn't seen this topic discussed at all, so hopefully it's not old news by now - but I figured I'd make a thread to show people who were convinced that "it's all a game" that something deeper is happening.

Obviously, Maxis uses the intercom to communicate with Samantha a lot - because she looks totally calm. Wouldn't you be a little worried if your dad had to use an intercom to tell you to go down to the basement while ominous sirens ring from outside? Why are these children not scared? What we are witnessing them doing (hearing dad on the intercom, locking the windows, going to the basement) is normal to them, and that is the strangest thing of all.

I definitely agree that there's something deeper going on here. And I agree that there are calm. This is why I think the cutscene depicts WWII, because at that time, air raid sirens were "normal". Going into the basement was "normal".

I'm reminded of a scene from Doctor Who when the time traveller goes to 1941 and asks "Have you seen anything fall from the sky?" They all just laugh at him and go back to business.

Also, Maxis's communication is rather archaic, fitting for a WWII scene. I mean, if you hook up an intercom system in your house, why not get some good speakers that don't have static all the time? Unless perhaps that hadn't been invented yet.

Although still, I maintain the WHY of the intercom system mainly to be with her father's love for technology and putting it to practical use.