Aurora Borealis

anonymous

• Moderators

After playing TranZit and Die Rise countless times since BO2 is backwards capable, today I decided to play Origins again. And one of the first things that I immediately noticed, was the strange sky in Origins. I think everyone here knows what I am talking about.

images (8).jpg

That bizarre portal-like thing. And don't forget the lighting all over the place, just like in Zetsubou No Shima. It's like this universe is falling apart, or consumed, or whatever. It looks just like most BO3 maps. But the thing is: Origins takes place BEFORE the Apothicans are released. Before the multiverse begins to break apart and bleed into each other. This is why I think this "Aurora Borealis" is strange.

Note that the portal in the ending, the one in the Crazy Place, resembles the "Aurora Borealis" very much.

imagesKIF1DZS2.jpg

And as a last note: The portal in the sky in Gorod Krovi.

imagesV6WVXTK5.jpg

It is exactly the same, but instead of blue, it has a red glue. Has anyone any idea what these things are. And how could there be one in Origins, while the universe isn't cracking and the Apothicans aren't released yet?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Excellent observation! I believe these are dimensional Aether gateways, done by either Maxis, Monty, or both of them. In Origins pre-Easter Egg, it looks like the eye of a typical storm but holds true to nothing. At the end of the EE, however, it shows the same portal as an indication that the 2.0 crew can return from the Crazy Place to the physical realm once more, but now entering through said portal (when originally thought to be the storm). 

It's odd why the colors are different, but even more interesting that Maxis is associated with the color orange (per Maxis zombies in Buried), and the Gorod Krovi borealis is orange as well. Hell, even Richtofen yells into the sky for Maxis that they finished collecting all the souls. Maybe the blue Origins borealis is a neutral aetherial portal?

On 4/24/2017 at 0:33 PM, anonymous said:

Has anyone any idea what these things are. And how could there be one in Origins, while the universe isn't cracking and the Apothicans aren't released yet?

The Apothicans were not released until they brought the Summoning Key, which Richthofen took from the Keeper in Morg City, too Monty's realm. Albeit a bit convoluted and unrealistic for Edward, as the scenes did not convey that he immediately understood his position in the 'Origins' portal, and that he was able to reach between the worlds of the Shadowman and grab the Key. There was character development in Origins which suffice to my speculation, as our character grew more understanding of their predicament as the rounds went on and as their memories bled in.

Portal in Origins (blue and visible) is what binds the cycle together, the only way to eliminate it is from the inside, which they need to do to fix the universe. The reason it glows orange is to indicate that it has tapped into worlds conquered by the Shadowman, and other worlds. There was even an orange portal in Zetsebou No Shima.

I think a lot of people underestimate the portals 'timelessness' entering it... 

Archived