Vril, Element 115, and Origins

Wooodd

Vril, Element 115, and Origins

Being relatively new to the whole Zombies experience I am finding the plethora of theories and assessments surrounding the Zombie storyline fascinating. One of the most ubiquitous subjects is Vril. This substance has captured my attention had has had me scouring the darkest corners of the internet and I thought I would share my thoughts.

The Vril Society

I’d like to start IRL if I may with an organisation known as The Vril Society (VS). There a differing opinions on when VS was first formed, it is either in Venice in 1917 or in Germany after WW1 (In either case it is purported that it was these occult beliefs that the Nazi Regime was founded upon). It is believed that VS were the ‘Mother’ of the Nazi Party and that many high ranking Nazi officials were in fact members of VS, including Adolf Hitler himself. VS was a very peculiar set of individuals they believed in an energy known as Vril, which is described as an invisible beam of infinite light emitted from The Black Sun.

VS conducted a number of different rituals in search of Vril, from peaceful ceremonials and meditation, right through to the sacramental murder of children. It is documented that people have borne witness to Hitler undertaking the sacrificing of people in search of Vril by ripping out their hearts while they still beat (Dum Di Dum Dum, Dum Di Dum)

The most striking fact surrounding VS is that all these beliefs are founded upon a work of science fiction known as The Power of The Coming Race, often simply referred to as The Coming Race. This novel was written by Edward Bulwer-Lytton and published in 1870. The book detailed a race of people known as Vril-Ya who lived below the surface of the Earth and had full control of Vril, an ‘all-permeating fluid’ of limitless power.

Vril

Now Vril itself is said to be an intangible energy which when harnessed has pretty much ultimate power. It can command control over all types of matter, both animate and inanimate. It can destroy or replenish life, heal, or cure. It is used to allow people to pass through solid matter. It can also be used as a power source for animating mechanisms. (hmmm, such as giant 1000ft robot mechanisms?)

In the novel it is said that Vril can be harnessed by use of the Vril staff. A Vril staff is an object in the shape of a wand or a staff which is used as a channel for Vril, in which Vril can be altered, modified or directed to either destroy or heal. The staff is about the size of a walking stick but can be lengthened or shortened according to the user's preferences. The appearance and function of the Vril staff differs , some staves are more potent for destruction, others for healing. (sound familiar)

In essence Vril would be ‘God-Mode’ giving you the ability to do whatever you desired to anyone or anything at any time (Vril is Brill).

It’s worth noting at this point that Vril is quite often written as Vryal, If you wish to look further into the society its worth researching both spellings.

Our Story

I could go on about the fascinating world of VS and all the weird and deranged things they got up to, but that’s not why we are here now is it. We are here for Zombies!

In our story Element 115 is the apparent source of the Zombie outbreak as well as all the time distortion, mystical weapons and drinks, etc… but what if this is not the case. As Origins shows us ‘the Ancients’ had ultimate power at their disposal in the form of four staves, however this may not be the result of element 115, the fictitious Vril detailed above is more likely the source of these staves powers. As detailed above a Vril Staff holds devastating power and can also be used to heal, just like our staves can. Further evidence of this is from the markings of The Black Sum at the Excavation site.

Now I am going ‘against the grain’ as it were here, please read on before dismissing.

I do not believe that Element 115 is the reason behind the whole “cell reanimation, shoot shit though time, drinking makes you stronger” phenomenon we are experiencing. (What a non-believer, lynch him)

My theory is that E 115 has chemical properties unlike anything here on Earth, just not in the way we were led to believe. I think that E 115 is somehow able to absorb the omnipresent Vril in the Earth’s atmosphere and infuse it into its own molecular structure, which in turn is making the once unobtainable Vril a tangible material that can be manipulated by the human hand. It is this E 115 / Vril Cocktail (Which I will now be calling Vrilium) is what was found when the meteor landing site was investigated. Not knowing of the presence of Vril and the fact that it had combined with E 115, group 935 took what they found as a purely Extra Terrestrial element.

The Nazi’s then commenced experimenting with this new found Vrilium and discovered a whole range of adaptations that this amazing element could be used for and commenced construction of giant mechanical soldiers to stomp across the battlefield laying waste to all who oppose them. Regretfully this was not enough for the Nazi’s and they began experimentation in a whole range of fields including chemistry and biology. They were unaware of how to correctly harness and control the Vrilium as they had not dedicated generation upon generation of meditation and self-control as the Vril-Ya had to ‘keep hold of the reins’ whilst in command of such power. It was this lack of knowledge which led to the subsequent reanimation of the dead, the Zombies. (and lets be thankful it did too otherwise how would we all spend our spare time, living our lives in the real world? Pah)

After playing Origins this is how I envisage all of this started. Let me know what you think of my Vrilium theory below, is it a plausible possibility of the Origins of the Zombie Outbreak, or is it all bull-shite. Either way seeing as though it was all a game it doesn’t matter does it. ;)

As a side note though if it all is a game then this theory could hold some truth. Samantha’s dad could have had a copy of The Power of The Coming Race which her and Eddie had read and used to base their games off. Just saying that’s all!

Thanks for taking the time to read this dribble, I’m out.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

At least for me, Origins upset everything we thought about the Vril-Ya. For example, he said they were carnivorous, and in-game you see quite the opposite, they're carnivorous. I don't think anything Bulwer-Lytton said can be taken with much accuracy anymore, sadly. From a story perspective, the things he wrote simply aren't true. But in Origins, we are specifically told that 115 has a lot to do with it. However, perhaps 115 and vril are the same substance? or two varieties of the same substance?

At least for me, Origins upset everything we thought about the Vril-Ya. For example, he said they were carnivorous, and in-game you see quite the opposite, they're carnivorous.

:?:

I don't think anything Bulwer-Lytton said can be taken with much accuracy anymore, sadly. From a story perspective, the things he wrote simply aren't true. But in Origins, we are specifically told that 115 has a lot to do with it. However, perhaps 115 and vril are the same substance? or two varieties of the same substance?

This is similar to what I was getting at. But rather than two varieties of the same substance, two independent elements/substances combined into one substance through a chemical reaction to form a compound. Vrilium :D

I'm sorry. I made a typo. I meant to say that Bulwer-Lytton said the Vril-Ya were herbivorous. In fact, in the Coming Race, the reason he was exiled was because they thought his carnivorousness would spread to their race. Yet in the game, the zombies in the Crazy Place have huge teeth, definitely carnivorous teeth.

I suppose that's possible. There's a definite connection between the two substances. Good work. :)

I'm sorry. I made a typo. I meant to say that Bulwer-Lytton said the Vril-Ya were herbivorous. In fact, in the Coming Race, the reason he was exiled was because they thought his carnivorousness would spread to their race. Yet in the game, the zombies in the Crazy Place have huge teeth, definitely carnivorous teeth.

I guessed as much, it could just be Treyarch's artistic licence on the Zombie design to make them look fiercer (but that's doubtful).

I suppose that's possible. There's a definite connection between the two substances. Good work. :)

I agree there has to be something here, and thanks.