We're all stuck in a cycle! - Theory

Hello!

The recent 'Origins' trailer given to us by Treyarch have given everyone a lot to think about, one question that is arising in us all is "Why are we going back to the O4' origins?", some say that this map is going to be a prequel to something else after Moon, others say Richtofen is going back in time to make sure he gains FULL power of the zombies, well I would love to chuck another theory into the main scheme of things, some people have already mentioned this idea within other threads but here is a full round explanation of what I think will/has happened, so give it a read and let me know what you think!

We're all stuck in a cycle!

People may not have enjoyed the Black Ops II's zombie maps as much as previous ones and the story has been unclear to most at times but one thing that Black Ops II has highlighted was about there being a 'cycle'. It has done a VERY good job of looking at this in my eyes and I believe this is what the teams wanted to focus on to bring us to a great finale (for now...).

'Alcatraz Island' was the first map where we learned about a 'cycle' within zombies (by name, in 'Great Leap Forward' we got an idea of this), whenever they all died we would then go back to the start until they eventually found a way to break to 'break' this cycle. Quotes within the map suggest that they knew that they couldn't 'die' and they would have to keep going again and again such as:

"It can't end like this every time! What the hell did I do wrong? There has to be a way to break the cycle! How do I do this right? What the hell do you want from me?!"

'Resolution 1295' is the most recent map to have hit the epic saga and followed on from the two other maps that the N4 were a part of ('Green Run' and 'Great Leap Forward').

In all of these maps players have been given the choice, you can decide to choose Richtofen or Maxis. After all players on the map have completed all the Easter Eggs on all of the maps to a specific person (either Richtofens' or Maxis') then a button will appear. Pressing this button will 'reset' all Easter Egg progress within all of the maps.

I would like to think that actually, we didn't reset the EE progress, we actually restarted the cycle. if you wanted to get back to pressing the button again then you need to go back through all of the maps and do all of the Easter Eggs which then opens up a button which you then press to then go back and do it again etc. etc.

There's continuing cycle ;) I'd like to think that the amazing N4 are actually stuck in one big cycle, this time though for them there is no way out of it like those on 'Alcatraz Island', the N4 did nothing to cause this, the O4 cause Maxis to fire the rockets onto the Earth causing the zombie outbreak and there is nothing they can do to get out of it, like many other people have already said the N4 are literally 'Buried' here.

This then leads us to the O4 but not as we know them , they are all younger and are in a heck of a lot of trouble!

EDIT: I believe that we are starting the cycle with the O4 again, they may have died on Moon or somehow but however it has happened the cycle has started again, I don't think it matters how the cycle has started but they've restarted it again.

In the next map I believe we will also be given two choices, one of them will be to do what happened before and then end up continuing the cycle (leading to all of the previous maps, probably not literally (as in being able to play them) but theoretically).

The other option will be to do something drastic, something that is going to change everything as we know it, basically something that will rearrange the way in which the previous maps have worked,

Completely off topic but:

What if Maxis is the one to brainwash and erase the memory of them all so he can use them for his big plan, to take over everything? Not Richtofen... so Richtofen isn't the bad guy and wants to stop all of this... oooohhhhh questions and theories!

Based on this theory in the next map we are not going to be going back in time, just restarting the cycle again, the only way to save the N4 is for the O4 to break the cycle.

This could also mean that the story doesn't technically end (although it will... sort of), by this I mean that the O4 may not go to Verruckt, Shi No Numa, Der Rise, Kino, Ascension, Shangri-La or even the Moon after this!

There is no need for the zombie slayers to go down that road again so in one sense the story does sort of end BUT as we could tell from 'Mob of the Dead' we do NOT need to remove 115, kill all zombies or anything like that to break the cycle! So zombies can well survive, meaning that this will all continue to the next map along with the possibility of the N4 starting a new story.

Let me know what you think about this and let's look forward to more information from Treyarch in the coming days/weeks :D

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this a lot, and that actually makes a ton of sense. A choice, to trap the characters in a never-ending cycle or to end the story by doing something drastic like you said. Turns out the quote, "Let go and the beginning becomes an end" really does ring true. I'm fascinated to see how Treyarch will pull this off. I think it's going to blow our minds.

Great theory. Have some brains ;)

I'm fascinated to see how Treyarch will pull this off. I think it's going to blow our minds.

I sure hope they do pull it off & I hope it is going to become a brilliant last DLC map for Black Ops II, thank you very much for your comment and for reading! :D