Cucuy, Mictlantecuhtli: One in the Same?

El Cucuy, a ghost-monster who watches over misbehaving children. Cucuy can either devour the child, kid-nap, or spirit the child away. It can take form of any dark shadow, and stays watching over. Cucuy in legends is a horribly grotesque creature, too unbearable to glimpse at. It is the opposite of a guardian angel, and is frequently compared to The Devil. There were even lullabies for it to keep kids in line with their parents. In popular legends' it was depicted as a small humanoid with glowing red eyes. In the novel 'Thief of Midnight' it is represented as a psychotic boogey-man, in the form of a dead child. Danny Trejo in 'Call of The Dead' mentions it a few times, such as:

1. FUCK YOU, CUCUY!

2. That was no ordinary storm...THAT was Cucuy.

3. Cucuy is talking to us(when insta kill is picked up). Sounds like a God of Death.

4. Im tellin ya, its Cucuy's work for sure.

5. Is this poison Cucuy?(when drinking PhD Flopper)

Tony Ferguson uses "El Cucuy" as his Ultimate Fighter nick-name, although, this may have nothing to do with zombies.

Mictlantecuhtli, most prominent God of Death, Darkness, and the Underworld. His appearance is that of a blood-spattered skeleton, having a skull with eyes. He often kept his eyes closed, for he did not need them to see. He is also worshipped by ritual cannibalism around temples...or perhaps, churches. His appearance is a symbol of fertility, health, and abundance(much like the infinite horde of zombies). Mictlan's arms are always depicted as raised in an aggressive motion(he want feel zombie boooooobz! lol), ready to tear the flesh of the fresh dead. He was also god of the day sign Itzcuintli, a dog. Itzcuintli is the soul gatherer of his master. Mictlan held the power to govern all three soul types:

1. those who died normally.

2. those who died heroicly.

3. the cowards and the traitors.

Most of the community already knows of Mictlan being in control of Alcatraz Zombies in Mob of The Dead, but are these two one in the same?

Is Cucuy just some interpretation of Sam.M when she was under influence of the entity she spoke of from the M.P.D?

Is the mysterious phantom we see often, Cucuy/Mictlan in shadow form?

Is the Mexican Richtofen killed, who was probably patient 13225(115's square root), actually this Death God.

Or is the Mexican(as many have speculated)the Phantom himself.

Is there some type of dark trinity opposite to the Father(Mictlan), the Son(Richtofen), and the Holy Ghost(the Phantom)?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh great thread. I think that all these differant gods that are mentioned cannot be a coincidence, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Osiris turned up as well. My opinion is that in the zombie-verse all of these deities are referring to the same overall power. An ultimate evil (I don't use the devil or Lucifer because they are just another name of this Power). And this is the mystery man in control , the mystery shadow man in loading screens and the one that gives the announcer their demonic tones. But that's just my opinion :)

Ooh great thread. I think that all these differant gods that are mentioned cannot be a coincidence, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Osiris turned up as well. My opinion is that in the zombie-verse all of these deities are referring to the same overall power. An ultimate evil (I don't use the devil or Lucifer because they are just another name of this Power). And this is the mystery man in control , the mystery shadow man in loading screens and the one that gives the announcer their demonic tones. But that's just my opinion :)

Thanks. I believe they are the same too. Maybe they vary because of different conduits who inhabit the M.P.D. You know? Different people, different personalities, but all in all influenced by the same entity.

Ooooh, thanks for reminding me about the Cucuy references.

Cucuy is basically the Mexican's version of the boogey-man.

I believe all these references in the game to things like Cucuy, Michtlantecuhtli, Devil Man, etc. are different names/interpretations for the same evil thing.

- Mix

You're welcome. I believe they too are the same. A being who is Omni-potent, existing in all space-time, would be called different names by different cultures around the world. Its all relative to each other.