Does 115 Tell Us What's Coming?

So if you see it, there are some interesting lyrics that caught my eye.

The first was the references to everyone being dead. This is also backed when it says "Everything dies, look to the skies, to see the end of all creation again." With what we know now, we can look at the end of the Moon EE to see the rockets coming down from the sky. Are the rockets the end of all creation? Is everyone dead? Hmmm...

Next interesting lyric. "You stand for nothing and overlooked something..." What did we overlook? Have we missed something this whole time?

Another. "everyone dies, everyone lies, they're waiting for the second coming again." Second coming of what? Is this supposed to reference Christ or something else? Everyone lies? Does every character, even the three "good guys", lie to use about their intentions?

There are probably more interesting lyrics that didn't catch my eye. What do y'all think the explanations are? Could these point us to what's to come?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The songs are analyzed a lot, but it's always worth looking at it again.

When analyzing songs, generally what you're doing is the same thing you do when you interpret and analyze poetry. A good first step is to determine who the active parties are, but in the case of "115," there is no for sure answer, so you're going to end up with a bunch of different interpretations (which is fine awesome).

The speaker of the poem uses first-person singular, and the most commonly believed speakers are Samantha and, sometimes, Richtofen, but one could make a good argument for Maxis as well. The other important point in "115" is the addressee, the "you." Most likely, it is the same "you" throughout the whole text, since there isn't any hard perspective shift. Although the lyric "You stand for nothing and overlook something," may be a nod at the players, it doesn't fit with the rest of the usages of "you" very well. For example:

- "I'll stop you from breathing and all your deceiving"

- "I'll bring you death and pestilence"

- "I'll bring you down on my own"

- "I'll bring you doom that you can see and bring you down and see you bleed"

From these lines, we can probably conclude that the addressee is antagonistic to the speaker, but his/her/their identity is a mystery without first deciding who the speaker is. Of course, you could interpret the song multiple times from different perspectives before deciding which one you think is best.

In regards to "they're waiting for the second coming again," the Second Coming is often a term for the return of the Christ figure in the Christian belief system. However, it is a term which denotes the apocalypse, which I believe is likely an appropriate usage here. It is Christian imagery, but that does not lock it into actual Christian belief system. You find a plethora of classical "pagan" imagery in Christian texts, for example. An excellent (and very short) read here is "The Second Coming" by William Butler Yeats. It's in public domain now and widely available online.

Of course, modern culture has also adopted the phrase to simply mean 'the return of an important figure.' It gets used in movies and television in this manner pretty frequently. What's interesting is that "they are waiting for the second coming again" (emphasis mine). Are they waiting again because it didn't happen the first time they waited, or are they waiting for it to happen again? Depends on how you interpret the rest of the song, I think.

Personally, I love this song, and I've analyzed it multiple times. (I just keep my analyses tucked away and try not to bother people like a nerd orz). I often see people interpreting the "end of all creation" line as a reference to the end of the Moon easter egg, and this is a valid and wonderful interpretation. However, I do like to point out that we are analyzing this in hindsight, and the original map was in Paris, which may indicate that the original intent of this line was not the literal destruction of the Earth as it occurs. Again, this does not undercut that interpretation of the line, but it does help keep one from being limited to it.

I'll ..stop now. Maybe I said something helpful in my nerd rambling.

• 2 months later...