MOTD and Dante's "Inferno" (Hell)

Many people, even today, have come to argue with the idea that the 2nd DLC of Black ops 2's zombie map, MOB of the DEAD, is not actually set in hell. 

Some say that the prison has no satanic influence and that the happenings are all part of whomever controlled the aether before samantha got there. 
Some say that this is all just a comic of Al's.

Some say this zombie infestation is just a time-loop in which the cycle breaks when arlington escapes the clutches of the other 3… 

I'm here to at least state that the creators at least WANT us to think MOTD is in hell. 

If one looks back to a VERY famous italian writer: Dante Alighieri, one can find that one or two of his works have been implemented into this game, and what are these ideas about? Hell. 

To be precise, Dante's hell was divided into 9 rings. Each one  with a different purpose: 

The first circle is actually purgatory, where those whom haven't truly sinned but are questionable go. It is described as a green field, where the only structure is a large castle with 7 gates, obviously not MOTD. But it is described as being misty and hazy, much like the opening cutscene to MOTD. 

The second level is centered around lust: Again, not much can be said about this. 

The third level, gluttony, is where it get's interesting: It can be said that FINN, has surrendered to gluttony, thus, it makes sense that he's also being guarded by the guard of this sector: Cerebrus: A 3 headed dog, NOT unlike the 3 dog heads we see around the prison. To make things more interesting, in the story Virgil manages to by-pass the dog by filling it's 3 mouths, much like we do to get the tomahawks. Other attributes to gluttony is being  surrounded by slush and icy-rain… Which isn't really a factor in this map…. 

Level four is greed, not very important

Level five is anger, and despite the actions and quotes, I believe there are other levels better suited for Billy… Sal however may fit in here a bit better. Further more this level would drown a sinner in the river styx. The river styx would soposely forge everything seen in it to black, and allow non to breath. Take a look at afterlife mode, everything gets an inverted-to-blue color and when one is revived it's almost like they are gasping for breath after swimming or holding one's breath. Perhaps entering afterlife mode is the equivalent to entering the river styx. I should also mention entering the river and coming back would mean making that person stronger, like when we activate equipment, and then moreso, a part of the body must be left outside the river if one wants to return, like our own entire bodes are OUR return point. 

Level six is also unimportant with heresy

Circle 7: Violence: This is billy's isle without a doubt: River of boiling blood and fire? Beneath the first dog. Hanging bodies? Bingo, literally EVERYWHERE, and probably my favorite part: A desert storm of burning sand upon thine head: Sounds an awful lot like the acid shower trap to me. Furthermore the flaming sand was meant to take out those whom the sinners blame before them, much like the grief teams using it on the other's team. 

Circle 8: Non- important, other then the part about individual fires surrounding false profits. I think this is kind of a jab at, no matter what, the box, the perks, nor the buildables will help the mobsters in the end…. 

Circle 9: This is the resting place of the devil himself. Here, he is trapped in ice as the other treasurers are, meanwhile in his mouth, he chews on some of the biggest traitors in history, one of which is brutus: Julius Caesar's best friend who betrayed and stabbed him. 

What I find interesting is that one must defile the gates of hell (bridge) with the tomahawk,  throw it into the burning river, then enter the river styx to upgrade it. 

Now that we are through with the dante basics lets look at some other things: 

-Resnov's revenge: We know resnov is dead, and chances are, he's not exactly sky high about it… It's likely resnov is in hell as well… 

-The eyes: In origins we see all types of zombie eyes, but red. Now, it's commonly thought that different color eyes means different controller. Red has always been a satanic color, so I wouldn't be shooting TOO far out of the box when I say that a grand evil is controlling the zombies. 

-The atmosphere: Everywhere around the prison there are candles and satanic symbols. If one notices, the second al enter's a lower layer of hell (for murder of stanly ferguison) the scenery changes. This leads me to believe that AL was finally deemed unworthy and therefor lowered into hell, to share multiple levels with his three best friends. 

-The name of the tomahawk: The hell's retriever. It does fit the theme of the map doesn't it…. Then after moving through different layers of hell it becomes the hell's redeemer. As in it's being redeemed for serving out it's sins. 

The perks: Now, this is odd, perks in out of place maps like Mulekick/stamin-up in origins, still look and behave like normal perks. HOWEVER, in MOTD, every single perk machine is stripped of it's jingle and instead it's phasing through colors as if it doesn't belong here. The only perk that doesn't do this is Electric Cherry. Oddly enough the electric cherry perk machine is never seen again in BO2 and likely never will in any map that's not in hell. 

Brutus's quote; I'm trapped here just like you: Brutus is held in the lowest level of hell, with the 3 mobsters for committing treachery against Al. 

To me this seems like plenty of evidence to spark some theories of MOTD any point anyone would like to make? 

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish I knew or have read more about Dante. I like this story and this is my favorite map. If I were to know more, I could point a thing or other.

Anyway, I liked a lot these theories (if I can call them like this) and it makes me like this map even more.