JD explains some things about the lag.

thehoodedman

I do some double backround checks on wht I fine so I did some snooping on cod forums

, and came across this.

JD:

First and foremost, I can assure you there is nothing wrong or unusual with the hit detection in Black Ops. The reason it is being brought into question with greater frequency than in previous COD titles is because we have new features that encourage and enable further scrutiny than ever before (namely, Theater).

I saw a YouTube video where a player loaded a Wager Match in Theater Mode slowed down time, and showed his bullet traveling straight through his opponent's chest in One in the Chamber. Yet his opponent did not die, and winds up getting the kill instead. As you know, One in the Chamber is a One-Shot-Kill game mode, so the natural conclusion is that there is a bug with hit detection. In reality, it's the visual replay that is misleading you.

The explanation lies within networking, and physics. The fact is, your Ping (latency between you and the Host) will affect what you think you see happening, and what actually happens in a match. Because Theater films are based on the Host's recordings of events, the visual disparity between what you see happening in the game from your perspective may differ from another player's (or more importantly, the Host's). This can result in occasions, like my example above, where misleading visual replays occur. Now, thanks to Theater, so many more people can go back, scrutinize, and upload their cases to YouTube and flood social media with questions. Whereas in past games, the debate stopped at shouting "GAH, stupid lag!" over the mic.

Killcam works a little differently, but the same principles apply. Some people notice that a guy was *way* outside of Knife range, but still got the knife kill. This leads to another perception that there is problem with Knife hit detection. This can be especially visible in Game Winning Killcams that end with a knife, often times it looks like the knife comes nowhere near the guy, but it still gets the kill. Because especially when a player is already on the outer-boundaries of knife range, that extra half-step of disparity can really stick out like a sore thumb.

The Bottom Line: You shouldn't use Killcam or Theater mode as justification for your kills / deaths. They are designed to be fun replay features for the game, not forensic science lab tools to make your case on YouTube and social media.

Lag is something that frustrates all gamers sometimes. Network delays are a reality that all games and gamers must face. In Black Ops, we have Locale Matchmaking to help mitigate this, and are constantly refining our Host Selection and weeding out poor hosts over time. Ironically enough, the more you play, the better it gets!

Hope that helps.

-JD

I copied and paste but when I went back to the forums to retrieve a link it was gone.

Why I don't know :?:

In a way I'm ot sure if JD is dening the bugs if it is the game or if it is our network.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are trying to convince us, which is not working.

The game is bad because of your connection

Really? So why is that I CAN PUT IN ANY OTHER GAME BESIDES THIS ONE AND EVERY THING WORKS FINE?

Any other game, this is the only one that has hit detection and lag issues. The funny thing is that they used the WaW engine for theater, which sucks as it is, and look what happened.I am glad I quit this game, it seems that any CoD developer just flat out does not care for the community, they must have to make it look like they care.