The Eyeballs of Die Maschine

Loredude

Firstly hello everyone, this is my first post here on the forums.  Been reading posts created by others but never had anything I felt important enough to write about... until now that is!

Do you ever feel creeped out while playing Die Maschine?  Do you ever feel like you're being watched?  I know I sure was whenever I played the map, but the place I felt the feeling the most wasn't in the depths of the Project Endstation bunker but instead I felt it the most in and around Nacht.  I couldn't figure out why so I got to exploring and eventually found something that caught my eye. 

Dotted around inside and outside of Nacht you can find four eyeballs in the form of graffiti.  There are two different pairs of eyes that you find.  one pair is purple, and the other pair is green.  I quickly noticed that around the green eyes there are purple tentacles surrounding them.  At first the tentacles reminded me of Apothicans then I realized that theres a heavy purple color theme in the Dark Aether (Anomalies, the jellyfish).  It's almost as if the green eyes are peering from the Dark Aether into the land of the living.  Soon after I also noticed that the demon graffiti in spawn also has green eyes... the same demon graffiti theorized to be a sketch of "The First One".  It's alluded to that someone is watching through the use of the white graffiti in the lower levels of Nacht.  One of these white texts say "I can feel him watching".  I propose that the green eyes represent "The First One".  I'll get into who I think the purple eyes represent but first lets learn more about "The First One".

On the plane wing next to the green eyeball is some red text (now that I mention it all the eyes have red text nearby but this is the only one I've been able to read)  The text states "CZARNOBOG'S WRATH IS COMING"  interested by this I looked the name up and found some VERY interesting.  I couldn't find anything on the exact spelling of the word but I instead found Czernobog the Slavic Black God.  He goes by many names and it seems the most notable name is Chernobog.   Chernobog is the god of bad fate in Slavic religion, he is the equivalent of Satan.  Interestingly I have found mentions of a cult of Chernobog very similar to the "cult" or army the "The First One" is gathering in the Dark Aether.  Sadly I haven't found much info about the cult other then that one exists.  I propose that "The First One" is Chernobog or Czarnobog as the devs are refering to him as.

This next section may change how we view "The First One" as we initially thought that he was the only being of ultimate power in the Cold War Zombies universe. However while reading about Chernobog I also found his counterpart known as Belebog or in other words "The White God".  There's a clear duality here and we all know how the cod zombies story LOVES its dualities.  Belebog is the Slavic interpretation of God himself.  I think that the purple pair of eyes that we see is Belebog.  This changes everything as now we see that they're two beings of ultimate power in the universe instead of the one we know of.  

In one of the Dark Aether intels a man states that perhaps people have been to the Dark Aether and escaped and that the Dark Aether could be where the idea of hell came from in the first place. I propose that since Agartha is no more and the Dark Aether may very well be hell.  Theres a possibility of another dimension where much like how the first one rules over the dark aether, Belebog could rule over it... in other words there may be a heaven.

for now I think I have said all I want to say, if I have forgotten anything I'll update this post.  if you like to know more about the people that worshipped these gods click here: Polabian Slavs.  If you have any questions feel free to ask.  

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like your line of thinking here. Cal and I have been back and forth on the Chernobog stuff since launch, and I'm torn between two opinions.

The first, and more likely, is that this is the same thing that happened with the keepers being called Vril: humans immediately make a connection to something they already know and name something incorrectly. So the "first" one wouldn't BE Chernobog, per say, but the people of Poland interpret him as such.

Or, two, he is a much more literal Chernobog and they are moving in this polish god to replace the aztec influence of Mictlantecuhtli. Good thread man, and a good read. Can't wait to see more from you. Also welcome to CoDz! 

17 minutes ago, EricMaynard said:

I really like your line of thinking here. Cal and I have been back and forth on the Chernobog stuff since launch, and I'm torn between two opinions.

The first, and more likely, is that this is the same thing that happened with the keepers being called Vril: humans immediately make a connection to something they already know and name something incorrectly. So the "first" one wouldn't BE Chernobog, per say, but the people of Poland interpret him as such.

Or, two, he is a much more literal Chernobog and they are moving in this polish god to replace the aztec influence of Mictlantecuhtli. Good thread man, and a good read. Can't wait to see more from you. Also welcome to CoDz! 

Thank you.  I hadn't considered the first option but it also makes a lot of sense considering like you said Treyarch have already done this in the past with interpretations of the the Vrill.  I guess only time will tell which theory is correct.

• Moderators

Nice thread Poppa, really good finding! I find espessially the colour difference between the eyes interesting, indeed, as there are two supreme beings watching us. Really unnerving this.

Regarding the First One, I know Cal made a thread including him recently as well, but I'm curious why it would be him who is here. At Tag, we destroy the Aether and thereby Monty, but why would the Apothicons & Shadowman also be destroyed? Excuse me for not understanding that, but perhaps someone could explain it to me.

Wonder if the Slavic myth thing will be held up at other maps as well, or if it'll be unique to DieMaschine set in Poland. Perhaps the giant wandering through the forests could be Svyatogor (a Slavic giant) or the Jötunn (Nordic giants)?

9 hours ago, anonymous said:

Nice thread Poppa, really good finding! I find espessially the colour difference between the eyes interesting, indeed, as there are two supreme beings watching us. Really unnerving this.

Regarding the First One, I know Cal made a thread including him recently as well, but I'm curious why it would be him who is here. At Tag, we destroy the Aether and thereby Monty, but why would the Apothicons & Shadowman also be destroyed? Excuse me for not understanding that, but perhaps someone could explain it to me.

Wonder if the Slavic myth thing will be held up at other maps as well, or if it'll be unique to DieMaschine set in Poland. Perhaps the giant wandering through the forests could be Svyatogor (a Slavic giant) or the Jötunn (Nordic giants)

From my understanding the first one is created whenever we resolve the duality in Tag.  Monty and the Shadow man aren't destroyed but instead banished to the Dark Aether alongside everything else.  Once in the Dark Aether they recombined into the first one.  I may have butchered that explanation so I'd recommend asking Cal or Eric.  I'm quite sure they're the ones that came up with the idea of the first one, so they'd probably have a better explanation.  

Now that you mention it.  I think the polish myth stuff will probably stay in this map only.  The only way it would make sense is if The first one is quite literally Chernobog, but after Eric's reply I like his idea of the Slavs only interpreting these beings as those gods instead of them literally being them.  

As far as the giant goes I really like Diez Bonkers idea that the giant is inspired by iqultha (I don't think I spelled that right) from lovecraft's mythos.

Archived