Time travel debunk

Guest Shoreyo

Guest Shoreyo

Just wanted to point out three points which many have overlooked;

1. In Shi no Numa we have the radio explaining the characters time travel, how it was due to the wunderwaffe firing on the teleporter.

As far as we know there are no other radios or mentions of this happening again.

2. The characters use Cold war weapons up to moon without any new/modern ones, knowing Treyarch they wouldn't have been lazy enough not to at least include modern weapons if any map was in the present.

3. The only reason for the time travel in Kino was to bring the characters and the plot into the era the game was set in, i.e. cold war, to utilise the weapons and maps of this game.

I'm not trying to go against anyone's theories on Moon/Shangri-la being in the present, but as with all theories I look up the evidence poriving/disproving it, and these 3 are strong points aganst which most people mysteriously miss out...

[brains]

Guest mumblecrust

I'm pretty sure that idea stems from the fact the cotd takes place in our era as supported by the cast. And in the EE we hear the richtofen say they must have gone too far into the future. As you said there is no further mention of the wunderwaffe overloading the teleporter again so when you send them to paradise (shangri la) i belive it would still be the present.

I think that because the possibility for time travel was made very clear in the Ascension easter egg, CoTD takes place in present time. As said above, Richtofen clearly states that they time traveled with the "to far into the future". Another thing to support that being the cast. I think that by "to far into the future," he meant to be a few years back, but that is just me. Next up is Shangri-La, which says ANDO the radios, and that is a company that works with radiowaves and things like that, and they were made in 2004.

Personally, I doubt that they would have made all new weapons just so they can be modern, and correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the weapons are the same through all the maps besides the WunderWeapons.

Those are just my thoughts though :D

Guest WhosOnFirst

Just wanted to point out three points which many have overlooked;

1. In Shi no Numa we have the radio explaining the characters time travel, how it was due to the wunderwaffe firing on the teleporter.

As far as we know there are no other radios or mentions of this happening again.

I thought it was strongly implied by Treyarch alluding to the Bell in Der Riese.( Time travel that is). If anyone has looked hard enough they would have known that Einstiens theory of relativity suggests that space time is manipulated by stong gravitational forces. As to an exact referance to the WW being the missing componant, I seem to remember a duplicate texture for the WW in the DR files that was renamed to something that was related to the teleporter pad. ( the name escapes me for now..)

2. The characters use Cold war weapons up to moon without any new/modern ones, knowing Treyarch they wouldn't have been lazy enough not to at least include modern weapons if any map was in the present.

eh.. I am confused by this statemant, zap gun?

3. The only reason for the time travel in Kino was to bring the characters and the plot into the era the game was set in, i.e. cold war, to utilise the weapons and maps of this game.

Thats debatable, but debate on this issue would be futile. Your opinion on this matter is a valid as mine; so not worth very much; as neither of us was involved at the design stage where these descisions would have been made.

I'm not trying to go against anyone's theories on Moon/Shangri-la being in the present, but as with all theories I look up the evidence poriving/disproving it, and these 3 are strong points aganst which most people mysteriously miss out...

[brains]

:) See above..

Guest MurderMachineX

I disagree.

The problem with #1 is that the transmission is from them going from 1946 to 1968. So how did the Radio end up in 1945?

As for #2, no, just no no. Treyarch wouldn't start making Modern Warfare weapons to put into their add-ons. Laziness aside, I don't think they would ever WANT to do that. Even if they did, Call of the Dead is set in 2011, yet there is Cold War guns. The reason for that is presumably because they are at a very old abandoned lighthouse and ship, where Cold War guns are found on the walls.

#3 really doesn't seem to make much of a point rather than express an opinion. True or not, it happened, and it doesn't change the meaning of any future events, such as add-ons to the game.

As to your purpose, I see this was supposed to be a reminded for people saying Moon and Shangri-La are in the present. Really, I don't think we know. I haven't seen any evidence pointing it definately enough. But it isn't exactly necessary. We can evaluate the storyline of Moon without knowing the exact date of the world exploding, whether it was today or 40 years in the past or 20 in the future.

EDIT: Good point Tac.

Guest Rissole25

I believe Call of the Dead and Shangri-La do take place in the present, but Moon is questionable. It doesn't seem like any time-traveling occurred when the characters went to Shangri-La, and they arrived there immediately after Call of the Dead.

Moon takes place after 1950, that we know. It could be assumed that it is still present time, but that's just it. It's an assumption. We know nothing between Shangri-La and Moon.

Guest MurderMachineX

Well, Tactal made a good point about the time of Shangri-La. Richtofen stats Call of the Dead is "too" far in the future, and then later they teleport away. That means that in order for him to go where he intended, it would be before the present.

Guest TheOnlyShapeshifter

Look, there are a LOT of holes in this storyline. Some are better off left alone, like the "time travel" thing, or the current times of every map.

The most plausible theory in my option, is the Dream Theory, that none of this is happening, and Samantha has a very vivid imagination.

She get's bored, and lets her alter and cynical ego, Edward, take over.

(Just some food for thought.)

Guest Rissole25

Well, Tactal made a good point about the time of Shangri-La. Richtofen stats Call of the Dead is "too" far in the future, and then later they teleport away. That means that in order for him to go where he intended, it would be before the present.

It's possible, but I don't think there was anything he had that could let him time-travel. The Golden Rod could've been used, but I don't think it has that kind of power (until Moon). The DG-2 might also be a possibility, but I don't think it would've been strong enough to cause a rift in time IMO. That is if you consider the DG-2 a gift from Richtofen and not that it randomly appears.

I'm guessing that if they hadn't traveled to far into the future, the door wouldn't have been locked/frozen/whatever keeps it closed, and Richtofen himself could've obtained it.

Oh and Shape, I would die and hate Treyarch if that happens lol. :P

Guest MurderMachineX

Well he didn't intend to end up in the time of 2011, so he probably didn't intend to end up in the space of a closet either.

But you also have to think that they've been time traveling. They traveled to Call of the Dead from Ascension with no problem. They traveled from Kino der Toten to Ascension with no problem. To do it again with seemingly unseen resources doesn't seem out of the question.

We know that from Ascension to Call of the Dead, they used a rift in space, hence the quote: "Fascinating, a Dimensional Rift! Goodbye Gersch, it would have been good to know you." To me, that is a clear cut sign that they teleported. Then the "too far into the future" quote means that they did indeed time travel, so that is my reasoning for that. After that, we see no sign of time travel, so I believe that we are just moving in normal time. I do have other theories that by "too far into the future" he means 2012 possibly and the whole Mayan thing, but alas that cannot be proven and is only a theory.

Guest BlindBusDrivr

But they time travel almost everyone.

Kino from the tower and berlin wall, must be set in between 1965-1969

Ascension, since it's at the same time as Five and the cut scene tells us that it's in 1962, because they are meeting about the Cuban Missile Crisis. That's an obvious timeframe hint.

So Ascension and Five are in 1962. So that's time travel again.

Call of the Dead is in 2011, modern times with modern actors filming a movie.

so thats more time travel.

Tac's point about the radios being from 2004, makes another case for time travel.

And the Moon is potentially in the future.

They wouldn't make new guns, that would just be plain obvious then.

Guest TheOnlyShapeshifter

Like I said, I doubt there is any story behind any of this.

It's like ad-lib, Treyarch is just adding along the best community theories to the official game.

Guest Rissole25

I might be changing my opinion now.

Richtofen: "Ah much better, now I can see the problem. We must have gone too far in the future. Look, the teleporter is completely broken. The time circuits are damaged. We'll have to reboot the--"

What does he mean by time circuits? If it's someway to keep the user from going to a different time, I thought Richtofen didn't even know the MDT's were capable of time travel?

Guest MurderMachineX

Maybe it's just a colloquial term he is using to define the circuits with which he was able to identify as the catalyst for the time travel, i.e., he didn't expect time travel, but when it happened, he was able to slap his own forehead and go "oh that is how that happened", having built the machine, and so the circuitry which made it possible he then deemed as time circuits.

Either that or he had been trying for the Teleporter to be able to go through time previously but was never able to get it to work until they overloaded it with the Wunderwaffe DG-2.

Guest aegisknight

Look, there are a LOT of holes in this storyline. Some are better off left alone, like the "time travel" thing, or the current times of every map.

The most plausible theory in my option, is the Dream Theory, that none of this is happening, and Samantha has a very vivid imagination.

She get's bored, and lets her alter and cynical ego, Edward, take over.

(Just some food for thought.)

Following this line of logic, we should close this section of the forums entirely.

Well, its been a good run fellas! I guess I`ll see you in teammate finder or map strategy discussion!

as a side note, I am very familiar with the zombie storyline and most of the evidence, but it would be extremely helpful for the sake of the discussion if people provided links to the evidence they are bringing up so they can quickly and easily be verified.

Guest aegisknight

ando radio

in terms of the OP, Call of the Dead is clearly in present time, while Moon is very likely the 60`s, due to the uniforms of the military police in No Man`s Land and the technology found in Griffin Station.

I don't think you can bank on the technology of the Station because the technology will only be what it was when it was made, which was in the 40's. So technically, it can be anytime after that.

You think so? I agree with that to an extent, I just don't see any hints in the game as to them time-travelling. Like there were no quotes or any of the usual stuff that makes us say, "Oh yeah, that makes it clear they time-travelled."

Guest aegisknight

absolutely. The No Man`s Land zombies are far too clearly 60`s era, the exact same models used in FIVE.

I am not sure about Shangri-La, but I always understood that they travelled back to the 60`s after Call of the Dead.

Guest BlindBusDrivr

First thing @Tac, that's a very plausible theory about JFK's death but that chart is copied from the SP mission. And the cutscene from before the actual game shows a debacle about the Cuban Missile Crisis which was in October 1962.

And 2nd thing@aegisknigh-

I must respectfully disagree about the No Man's land zombies. Just because it has the same look doesn't mean it's the same. Treyarch LOVES to copy and paste things from MP and Campaign. I think moon is 12/21/12, because the World Ends :twisted:

Guest piepwns

That's actually very plausible, that they linked zombies with the "2012 apocalypse"/ Mayan calendar. Though it sounds like you are kidding, it is very plausible.