Der Riese Eclipse | Can It Be Relevant? *UPDATE*

Guest Tac

football is right. I mean yes when the characters are there it is between in Ascension and Shangri-La, but when they activate the eclipse and we save Brock and Gary, the only idea we have is during Der Riese, other than that we have no evidence to show what went on.
But isn't Brock still alive during the time our crew gets in shangri-la? I don't think he would have survived many years after Gary died. (if Gary died at time of Der Riese eclipse).

That's true, so what your saying is that Gary can't have survived roughly 30 years in there, I agree. So I doubt that this eclipse is during Der Riese, because Gary sounds the sane basically, so idk

• 3 weeks later...
Guest football5699

well bc of my very long departure i am a bit rusty but......

When we get hinted at the EE we hear one person knocking (brock)

When we go back we eventually hear both....so doesn't that still keep it open for speculation?

I am realllllllly rusty so don't shoot me lol.

well bc of my very long departure i am a bit rusty but......

When we get hinted at the EE we hear one person knocking (brock)

When we go back we eventually hear both....so doesn't that still keep it open for speculation?

I am realllllllly rusty so don't shoot me lol.

Lol I'm confused as to what knocking you're referring to

Guest zombienerd

I know I have been saying this in a lot of posts but WHAT IN THE WORLD is surrounding the sun. It looks like a vortex.

I think it has something to do with aliens :D

It's the Milky Way IMO, not aliens. Or just some other Galaxy

maybe if you went to school you would know that when there is a solar or lunar eclipse you can see the CORONA! corona is the invisible outer layer of the sun that can only be seen during solar or lunar ecplises!

Guest football5699

Never knew that either...at least I don't think so lol.

The eclipse def means something unless it is just for scenery sake. But nothing is ever JUST scenery with 3arc. Since Der Riese only takes "3 seconds" due to that clock...and if you travel at the speed of light you supposedly would stop time in its tracks.

Tank says "Let's get this done." Could they have traveled to Der Riese to get something to help Brock and Gary...but then that negates the comic in Kino....damn this is never easy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aegisknight

well, lets look at the maps we have thus far to see day, night, and eclipse.

Nacht: unknown

verruckt: day

Shi no Numa: day

Der Reise: Day/eclipse

Kino: day

FIVE: unknown

Ascension: night

Call of the Dead: night (obscured)

Shangri-La: day/eclipse

Moon: Day (N/A)

Lots of important information here. With Nacht and FIVE, their setting makes me think that the day/night isn't important purposefully. For Verruckt and Shi no Numa, I think it was daytime somewhat purposefully, since its differentiating this story from a classic horror (its no "night of the living dead" since its daytime), showing that the zombies aren't zombies due to black magic, but rather the product of science.

Call of the Dead was purposefully obscured, but I believe there are some quotes about it being night time, again I don't think the time of day meant anything here, I think George just wanted night shots so thats when it started.

Which leaves us Der Reise, Ascension, and Shangri-La. I'll start with Ascension.

Ascension's setting is different in a number of factors, and Treyarch made very sure we knew it. The first is that it was the first map explicitly showing that the characters did not teleport in, and no teleporters are featured throughout the map. But that isn't relevant to this point.

What is was that it was very clearly shown to be night, with a massive moon in the sky. This makes it the first night-time map, with emphasis on the Moon.

Now, with Der Reise and Shangri-La, the longest you will see a total eclipse like that is 8 minutes. This is unrealistic given the length of time anything would be done within the maps.

Another important point is that eclipses have a very narrow "umbra", or path where you view the eclipse. This is important with the two maps for a couple reasons.

First, Der Reise and Shangri-La are on opposite sides of the planet from each other. Hence it can never be daytime in both places at once. It also means you cannot have an eclipse in both places at once, because the sun would not be in the sky to be blotted out. So even if we agree that the crew time travel when activating the eclipse, it is impossible for it to be at the same time as Der Reise.

What this points to is that the eclipse is not natural in both cases. The mechanism on the moon and Griffin Station almost certainly have something to do with causing this, although I can't fathom how. I do know that the temple at Shangri-La very well could have had a supernatural component related to an eclipse, since there is plenty of skull sun imagery, and eclipses are generally regarded as bad omens in many indigenous cultures.

That was very well written and I appreciate the post. I am going to have to agree with you now that they aren't the same, it's just peculiar to have two, especially since the characters state that they are reliving this day over and over. However, that could be attributed to Shangri-La alone. Do you mind answering my OP question though, do you believe that that could be the date?

Guest aegisknight

it could be for one of the two, but not both (since the umbra would have completely disappeared by the time the earth rotated), and even then I don't think its especially likely

I had a previous theory before that the round 1 zombies are the only actual zombies on any map, after they spawn and are killed, and the next round comes time is reset to the start of the round again for everyone except the four heros.

So all the zombies you killed get back up again, plus several spawn "again" (since it died in a different place from where you killed it, resetting time would make two instances of that zombie), adding to the horde. This seems unnecessarily silly, though.

I think the quote means more of "that day we were fighting zombies for literally all day", because it would be such an experience that it would be the defining characteristic of that day. Just like if you were forced to re-take a test in the same subject every day, even if the questions were different the general experience of taking the test would make the days basically the same.

Anyway, my point basically was that Yes, the eclipse is very relevant due to the constant moon imagery, but we do not yet have the information necessary to know how exactly it fits into the puzzle.

Guest football5699

Don't forget the clock in Der Riese is stuck on a 3 second time loop...I might start building a theory why and if this was already mentioned im sorry its been a while lol :D

When you travel faster than the speed of light it is said that you will literally stop time in its place. If the crew time traveled like they COULD HAVE done between any of the maps, that would explain the time loop of the clock even though it isnt stopped in its tracks. It could've easily been 3arcs way of saying "we didn't forget about animating the clock."

Now they went to Der Riese on a mission but what was that mission. Richtofen is all over the place and could've been virtually anything but Tank is the one that says let's get this done.....now hmmmmm.

And Tac I do believe that the eclipse can be relevant it will just be tough to prove how. Is it for sure known that an eclipse would look different in the Himalayas than it would look in Poland/ Then - Germany

Uhm I think that it is relatively safe to say that they aren't the same. I can't be certain however, I just can't tell with the angles. I mean in terms of the Earth as a whole, I feel that they aren't all that far apart so I think it is possible they are the same eclipse.

Guest MixMasterNut

Here's my theory, and it goes along the lines with my whole nazi's reverse-engineering ancient technology kick I've been on lately:

The Eclipse is a power-source

We all know that rays from the sun can be collected and used as an energy source. It's called Solar Energy. Maybe theres an alternative form of solar energy needed for this teleporter/time-traveling technology to work that can only be collected during a lunar eclipse.

In Der Riese I assume we are playing the map on the day/night the zombie outbreak occured. So to explain the Lunar Eclipse in the sky, I think the nazi's needed to perform their Die Glocke experiments specifically during an eclipse. Lets not forget that the whole basis of the Die Glocke experiments were based off the ancient sanskrits for ancient Vimanas.

Here's an obscure translated quote I found when describing how the ancient vimanas worked that might be related.

"Hereth, verily the scientists know the similar hidden striking force of the rays of the sun working in the orbit of the moon." Atharva-veda 20.41.1-3

This quote is a bit controversial, but the idea of the Vimana's being powered by a type of solar power, and then switching to a form of free energy (possibly anti-gravity) is a very popular belief described in the Vimanika-Shaastra.

On the Shangri la loading screen we see temples beginning to fly during an eclipse. We also know that the time-traveling on that map only happens during an eclipse. So I assume the lunar eclipse is needed for this ancient technology to work.

So my recap/conclusion is: I think to power the vimanas, the ancients used solar energy from an eclipse. When the Nazi's/Group 935 were attempting to reverse-engineer this ancient vimana technology in their "Die Glocke" experiments, they chose to attempt their expirement during an eclipse to replicate in modern times what the ancients were doing thousands of years ago.

Guest aegisknight

Uhm I think that it is relatively safe to say that they aren't the same. I can't be certain however, I just can't tell with the angles. I mean in terms of the Earth as a whole, I feel that they aren't all that far apart so I think it is possible they are the same eclipse.

Not possible, an eclipse doesn't last long enough for the earth to make the necessary rotation

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting that solar energy is brought up because Der Riese does have solar panels on the roofs.

Really? That is pretty neat, I still can't tell my whole thoughts on this. It's kinda pointless, but I am very anal about exact dates.