Clarke is the Thief

Guest Anti Earth

Guest Zombieofthedead

Clarke isn't the thief!

Just look at the pictures, the exact same everything! Same hair line, same eye colour, same facial features, same number writen on his face, everything.

As I have said about 15000000 times before, they look literally nothing alike aside from the numbers. They may have the same hairline and eyes, but they certainly look nothing alike in facial structure.

Guest Shoreyo

Clarke isn't the thief!

Just look at the pictures, the exact same everything! Same hair line, same eye colour, same facial features, same number writen on his face, everything.

Read my earleir post, just because he uses the same model, it doesn't mean that he is the same character, and believe me I was one of the first to agree with the idea Clarke was the theif, but then I remembered that people said the same thing about Dempsy, they said he was Polonsky with memory loss.. actually... :shock:

Clarke isn't the thief!

The pictures are different though :facepalm: Not the same hair line, not the same eye color, not the same eye features. Clarke has brown eyes, and in a glitch when the thief doesn't have glowing eyes, his are blue. Clarke's face is a ton chubbier. They aren't the same...

Guest MixMasterNut

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here because I think I can offer some fresh perspective. Although I would not qualify myself as a texture painting artist, or a very good Photoshop artist, I do have experience using 2D/3D texture painting tools (BodyPaint 3D). I've been using CINEMA 4D pretty much everyday for the past 7 years, and the BP3D texture painting tools are built right inside the app. Some of my co-workers over the years have been texture painting artists. So I am familiar with the process of texture painting for use in 3D character models. Unwrapped UV texture maps are a part of the field I work in. With that said....

What I think I see when looking at these two texture maps side-by-side, is the Steiner texture is being used as a base for the Pentagon Thief's texture. It was used as a starting point, to save time rather than create a whole new texture map from scratch. Game developers are known to cut a lot of corners during production in order to increase workflow. Treyarch is no exception.

There are a lot of similarities in terms of facial lines (wrinkles), shape of the ears, shape of the mouth, placement of eyes, etc. These things are like finger prints when trying to identify someone.

However there are a lot of differences too, such as shape of the nose, direction of hair lines, curve of the lower lip, etc. Enough difference that would suggest that this is a different person all together. Not just an aged version of the original.

The addition and subtraction of hair, wrinkles, depth of skin pours, skin color, hair color. All these factors are easily adjusted in the same way that you paint layers in Photoshop. So you can see how with the Pentagon Thief, things were added, accentuated, brushed over, values changed, etc.

The tattoos on the face match that of Clarke exactly. But if you look at the rest of the drawings all over the Pentagon Thief, you'll notice they are all just a copy/paste from a lot of other textures in the game. Personally I think this character was just thrown together by the developers during crunch time. Five as a whole was thrown together during crunch time, with reused campaign map and character assets.

In the end, I don't think my perspective is going to sway anyone's opinion on whether it's Clarke, Steiner, or whatever. I think my perspective will only serve to strengthen their own opinions, no matter which side of the fence they sit on.

steine10.jpg

Clarke isn't the thief!

Read my earleir post, just because he uses the same model, it doesn't mean that he is the same character, and believe me I was one of the first to agree with the idea Clarke was the theif, but then I remembered that people said the same thing about Dempsy, they said he was Polonsky with memory loss.. actually... :shock:

That's a lot of good evidence.. 0.0 But when the theive spawns, he is surrounded by the same numbers you see as Mason in the campaign, Clarke is the only one who knows about the numbers and what they mean.

I actually never thought that Dempsey might be Polonsky. Doesn't he die in Breaking Point if you save Roebuck?

Guest Shoreyo

@ digit, the canoicle ending is that roebuck dies, that's why you get an award for saving him, he is further away and has more Japanese soldiers to deal with.

@ digit, the canoicle ending is that roebuck dies, that's why you get an award for saving him, he is further away and has more Japanese soldiers to deal with.

I know, I got the achievement before even knowing it exsisted. lol

• 2 months later...
Guest bad karma

Let me be the first to say:

ENOUGH WITH THE FIGHTING, CHILDREN!!!!

Now that that's out of the way, let me submit my opinions. OPINIONS. Nothing more.

It may not matter to the story arc whether or not Clarke is the Thief, but it is indeed interesting. And, who knows? it could turn out to be important.

Anyhoo, It is obvious that the Thief is a zombie. (come on, ZOMBIES mode) That much is clear without research. And given the evidence regarding appearance, behavior and other, I'm inclined to believe that he is the Thief.

As for the "time difference", we don't really know EXACTLY when any of the zombie maps occur(except maybe CotD, which I think might have happened on the release date of it's corresponding map pack. But I digress). Time travel is possible. Even though only Richtofen & Co. are the only ones we know of who have acheived it, that doesn't mean that Clarke/Thief didn't figure it out somehow.

And before you say: HE'S A F-ING ZOMBIE!!!!---Let me submit another possible factor.

We know that the Thief and Romero are zombies, correct?

So why are they not acting like the other zombies? (i.e. trying to eat you!)

I think that it is possible that because of their special.....talents (I'm not quite sure how to word this), they were affected differently by the 115. In a word, their intellect was reanimated as well as their bodies. That would also be kind of an explanation for how he got the lab coat(I've heard some people COMPLETELY refute the Clarke/Thief theory just because the Thief is wearing a lab coat :facepalm: ) When he was reanimated, he continued his research, and, lacking paper :) he used a lab coat he happened to find.

This would also explain how he would have figured out how to time travel. He's a genius! He would have figured it out somehow!

I know that some people might disagree with me. To those people, I say that I present this as a THEORY, not FACTS. And I also say, we'll find out eventually. After all, Treyarch reads this forum. They might be stealing our brilliant ideas as I type!

don't hate. contemplate.

--Bad Karma

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FatedTitan

I'm kind of new here, so this may have been discussed before. But the Thief has writing on his face, and Clarke has the same writing on his face.

Daniel_Clarke.png

Thief.png

Guest WhosOnFirst

All I know is that every time I see a picture of the Pentagon Thief/ engineer; I think of Walter Lewin. The resemblance is uncanny.

Guest MyLittleHellhound

I'm nopt sure if this mystery has avctually been answered, but perhaps in Black Ops 2 all will be revelaed. Its harmless to speculate tho.

Guest Dandaman955

Clarke re-uses a model from the WaW mission 'Black Cats'. Doesn't necessarily mean it's the same person, however. Same goes for the whole zombies cast. Dempsey uses Polonsky's model, Nikolai uses Chernov's, Takeo uses that Japanese guy's model on the first mission and Richtofen uses General Amsel's.

Guest Zombieofthedead

NONONONONONONONO

I'm sorry, but aside from the writing, do they look ANYTHING alike? A dead body doesn't shave and grow hair, ya know.

But yeah, Anti Earth's theory still to this day annoys me. No offense to him, but without and solid evidence of Clarke being the thief, we can't just say he is. Appearance wouldn't mean anything even if he did look like the thief

Guest WhosOnFirst

So from memory, just to be pedantic; I think the file name for the Pentagon theif is actually "Pentagon Tech". So hes a technician not a thief, I guess you would consider him a thief if he is borrowing your guns, but it all depends on the point of veiw you choose to adopt :)

This is Walter Lewin. He has a series of free lectures availible on iTunes U filmed from his 108 and 802 course at M.I.T. Inspiring and educational even if you only watch an hour you will have learned something worthwhile.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStG4SD6WzjbuM14gOhV_MAF-knbig5bvnV0Z3hYn_5Ro-70_HTsg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReO9xqsZIaRYkMkNIJmprPNNuoq3AuK55rTAd8UsImxPZHFfRm5w

Any who, just trying to throw out a slightly differant viewpoint.

Guest Ehjookayted

I'm merging this thread with the Clarke is the Thief thread by Anti-Earth and moving that thread to the research facility. Hope that's okay with everyone; we just don't need repeat threads.

Guest BlindBusDrivr

I'm with Tac, they're just entirely different. Clarke dies WAY after Five took place, so how could he be a zombie in the Pentagon decades older in age years before he died?

doesn't make sense.

And the campaign is DEFINITELY in the same timeline as the story, they have files in the campaign's terminal and intel about zombies! The zombies screens show events from the campaign too. The connection is blatantly obvious.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest digit

I'm kind of new here, so this may have been discussed before. But the Thief has writing on his face, and Clarke has the same writing on his face.

Daniel_Clarke.png

Thief.png

I just noticed that the strap going across the theives lab coat has (alien?) writing on it, same from the paper in Der Riese. Clue?