Lost and unreleased map concepts

• Moderators

Gossip time! Drop here all the rumours you have heard about earlier zombie games and its maps. I'm really curious if anyone has additional info that can be added to this thread.

World at War

• Kino der Toten: The classic Black Ops map was originally supposed to be released in World at War, although the release date was too close to that of Treyarch's new game, so it was added in Black Ops. Makes you wonder how much differently "Five" had its fame in case Kino would be added in World at War, as it would've been the sole Zombies map on Black Ops's release

Black Ops 

• The infamous 'Paris' map that would eventually be replaced by Moon. Devoted a thread to it here. I wonder when Treyarch decided to make this switch and what effect it would have on the story. Would the Eiffel Tower be the MPD? Would there be more references to the Illuminati throughout the story?
  • Ascension was originally supposed to be even larger. Additional to this, there are hints to another character participating in this map, as the iTunes software of Ascension released something what seems to be concept art featuring another, unknown man.
    image.png
  • Shangri-La was initially going to be set in Vietnam. The Zombies still have the NVA and Vietcong outfits, as well as there can be found Vietnamese crates across the map. There's also that poster of Woods fighting zombies in what we assume is Vietnam. At a certain point, Treyarch decided that the "temple map" was going the Vril/Agartha way rather than the campaign setting, and the temple was going to be the legendary Shangri-La, located in the Himalayas.

Black Ops II

• Tranzit, as an entirety, was originally supposed to be a lot different. This was confirmed by Blundell and discovered Alpha material. Here is a thread devoted to it, and here is a thread with some actual images of pre-Alpha Tranzit (scroll down in the discussion).
    Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 8.40.11 AM.pngimage.png
  • Black Ops II was supposedly originally getting a 5th DLC, including the original World at War maps and possibly also Moon. Read this thread for more info.
  • The developer Alex Romo pitched the idea of a zombie map set in the tunnels of the New York underground. This eventually became Buried, set in a whole different setting but it is nontheless interesting to consider the idea. It may tie with the references to Manhattan Down, Russman in New York and the NYC Grand Central Station being mentioned by the Tranzit busdriver.
  • In the intro of Buried, we see Victis in a zombified version of the Campaign level "Fallen Angel", set in Lahore Pakistan. It is possible that this was a map concept at one point.
    unknown.png?width=912&height=427
  • I kinda forget where this was from, but I believe a developer of Treyarch released this at one point. Same artstyle as the Lahore picture and I assume it was a map concept at some point as well. 
    Map Zombies "Pirates" pour le 5ème DLC de Black Ops 2 ...
  • I may be mistaken but I believe someone once noted that Die Rise was originally going to be set in a Russian city. This may have something to do with the weird lost Stuhlinger quote about Russia in Die Rise.  Please let me know if you know more about this!

Black Ops III

• Black Ops III revealed Pohnpei, Stalingrad and Hohenwerfen Castle pretty early in game, in Shadows of Evil. This kinda killed all rumours and claims about future maps, I think, so there aren't many rumous about this game that I am aware of.

Black Ops IV

• I just learned by @Carnage Evoker that there was a supposed fifth Chaos map, believed to be set in the Library of Alexandria. In real life the Library Of Alexandria burned down, losing thousands of scrolls and books. This event may have something to do with the supposed zombie outbreak occuring here. It would also tie with the trial of Ra.
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived