Firebase Z Appreciation Thread

Rapt

I had some positive thoughts about Firebase Z and the improvements it made on Die Machine so thought I would share them here.

Gameplay
In Die Machine the early game perk choice was Quick Revive (via one path from spawn) vs Staminup + Jugg (the other path).
This really wasn't much of a choice for most players. Staminup + Jugg takes the win every time.
In Firebase Z Quick Revive is left as an option in the spawn to collect or skip.
Then Jugg, Staminup and Speed Cola are left as a three way choice when turning on the generators.
This design decision left far more choice and lead to greater gameplay variety.

When using a shotgun for example I buy Speed Cola, then Jugg, then Staminup, then Quick Revive.
Or when using melee I start with Quick Revive, then Jugg, then Staminup.
Or when using most other weapons it's Jugg, then Speed Cola, then Staminup.

The three way split in map progression and perks leads to so many different possibilities depending on the build being used.
This greater choice and resultant gameplay variety is a huge improvement over Die Machine.

The assualt rounds and Orda bossfight also add some spice and variety to the game.
Rather than the occasional tanky Elite to kill and dog rounds we get fun mini defence missions and a bossfight.
This makes a casual game far more enjoyable and interesting than in DM.

Visuals 
Die Machine was a beautiful map when in Dark Aether mode.
But outside of that it left much to be desired. 
The white lighting and barren landscape outside of the playable area was not too visually appealing.

In Firebase Z the out of bounds areas are a lush mountainous forest full in a high level of detail.
The warm orange and yellow tones of the sunset lighting are very appealing and remind me of the colour palette used in BO3 Verruckt.
It's great to look at, I often find zombies sneaking up behind me as I admire the sunset from the Helipad or spawn room. 

Easter Egg
The Die Machine Easter Egg was good.
But it was really designed for four players.
Trying to build four wonder weapons always feels like a bit of a chore for a solo player like myself. 
That was one of the reasons why Der Eisendrache was so good.
You could play a private match and only needed to build as many bows as there were players in the game. 

In Firebase Z the easter egg is purely linear and flows so much better in solo. 
Not to mention the mangler you need for the Ray-K part spawns in the defence step so you don't have to progress into later rounds just for that purpose. 

Also the cutscenes.
We got not one, but TWO fully animated and voiced cutscenes which really add to the cinematic and epic feel. 

Conclusions
In my opinion Firebase Z was a massive step up in terms of all three aspects mentioned above.
However I understand my opinion is largely based on the solo gameplay experience and others might feel differently.
And please don't take this as any type of hate towards Die Machine!
I love that map and still go back and play it often.
I just had to contrast it to Firebase Z which I thought was better. It doesn't mean I think Die Machine was bad!

If anyone has their own thoughts I would love to hear some different perspectives.
Peace!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Although I haven't played it a lot yet, I will give you my thoughts:

4 hours ago, Rapt said:

Rather than the occasional tanky Elite to kill and dog rounds we get fun mini defence missions and a bossfight.
This makes a casual game far more enjoyable and interesting than in DM.

Absolutely love this. Espessially the setting is really cool, with the fight taking place in the treches around the firebase. The player can use things like sentries, napalm strikes and traps to keep the undead away. Really gives me a vibe like we must defend this station against the hordes from the jungle or something. I'd say this is the unique game element of this map, and it certainly fits in a setting taking place at a desolate Vietnam outpost. When Zombies was first created, in World at War's Nacht der Untoten, its original intend was to create a "Tower Defense Game". Zombies never really succeeded in giving this vibe, in my opinion, but Firebase Z absolutely does this!

4 hours ago, Rapt said:

In Firebase Z the out of bounds areas are a lush mountainous forest full in a high level of detail.
The warm orange and yellow tones of the sunset lighting are very appealing and remind me of the colour palette used in BO3 Verruckt.
It's great to look at, I often find zombies sneaking up behind me as I admire the sunset from the Helipad or spawn room. 

The skybox and the (out of bounds) jungles are a genuine beauty. Although I have to admit that the firebase itself, within bounds so to say, is a little bit boring in my opinion. Just the regular metal compound buildings, crashed vehicles etc. I do think that the village down the mountain is quite pretty.

4 hours ago, Rapt said:

In Firebase Z the easter egg is purely linear and flows so much better in solo. 

I guess I should try it then, haha

4 hours ago, Rapt said:

I just had to contrast it to Firebase Z which I thought was better. It doesn't mean I think Die Machine was bad!

I quite liked Die Maschine for its own charmes, I guess. Not a too pretty looking map, but quite realistic, you know? The bunker structure being vandalized with graffiti and all, I liked that. Also the subterrean lab was pretty eerie. But I do agree, reading your points, that Firebase Z is an improving step

• 2 weeks later...

Archived