Differences between The Original Dimension (Aether) and the Campaign

Exo-Elemental 1

We know that the Campaign events happen in the Original Dimension/Dimension 1, but we also know that some events in Zombies' Dimension 1 don't exactly happen the same way as they do in the Campaign. We have the 3 Moon rockets hitting Earth in 2025, and also the destruction of Earth in 2036. As you might know, BO3 & BO4's stories take place in 2065 and 2045 respectively making this not possible to be in the same continuity. We also have a small thing about the possibility of Polonsky surviving rather than Roebuck for the Campaign's, but that is not stated anywhere I can find. Also, the Nuketown in Nuketown Zombies/Alpha Omega being there even though it was presumed nuked in 1968-ish. So we obviously know that around like 5% of things that happen in Dimension 1 don't co-exist with the Campaign continuity. If you guys have any other differences, feel free to list others. I feel as though the Campaign events are a constant that happen in any dimension, as long as IRL history is followed (D63 and the fractures would be examples of dimensions where the Campaign events don't happen like they do due to IRL events not happening the same). Is it like how D63 was to D1 in the sense that it is the same universe until something happens in one of the universes that triggers the splinter? Just a very, very parallel and similar universe? What are your thoughts on this? 

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I'm glad you bring up this subject @Exo-Elemental 1, as it is something that indeed requires a discussion.

CoD: Cold War certainly has an intriguing role in this, as it features "Black Ops universe" characters like Kravchenko and Woods, but also "Modern Warfare universe" aspects like Zakhaev. Not to mention that both Rebirth Island and Verdansk in Warzone are both directly tied to these two universes that we previously deemed as distinct ones.

First of all, I think all of this takes place after Tag der Toten, when all Element 115 has been purged from the universe. This may explain why Woods for example has no Element 115 tattoo on his arm anymore, something that he did have in Black Ops I (and II). If you think about it, the presence of Element 115 didn't affected that much in the regular campaigns: World War II was won in the Allies victory, Woods was brainwashed by Drakovich and Steiner, etc. Even something obscure and relatively unimportant as Operation Charbybdis, something previously only mentioned in the Black Ops I database, is referred to in Firebase Z. This indicates that without Element 115, the world would have looked relatively similar to the world with Element 115. Up untill Moon.

The events of Moon altered the Earth in such definite way that the entire world - including the stories that take place there - were affected. No Element 115 means no Moon, so Earth just existed in its own good way as we see at the events of Black Ops III and IV. Now Cold War and Warzone kinda confirmed that, as said before, the (new) Modern Warfare game also takes place in this universe. What's more, it may even strengthen it, as e.g. the Charybdis reference in Black Ops I included a person named 'Jonathan Price' which is an obvious reference to the Modern Warfare character John Price. He is even described as "inordinately young" in 1978, which perfectly fits with his age in Modern Warfare (taking place in the 2010s/2020s and is referred to as "the Old Man").

In short words, in this new story after the events of Breaking the Cycle and the Destruction of the Aether, forget about Dimension 63 etc. This is now the universe of World at War, Black Ops I (minus the 115 references in the CIA database), Black Ops II, Modern Warfare, Black Ops III, Black Ops IV, Cold War and Warzone.

One crack in the system is Blackout. This is set in the future, but features a lot of Aether things indicating that Element 115 still existed so it was before Tag der Toten. But wouldn't the future be a broken earth? I think that this may be explained with all the parallel universes in the old story, exactly because of Element 115. Surely there were universes where Moon never happened (e.g. the Giant fracture due to Richtofen being killed). Perhaps Blackout takes place in one of such universes?

Archived