Origins Location Speculation

NotAnAn0n

Greetings, all.

I’ve been mulling over Origins’ specific location for a day or so now. We all know that it’s in Northwestern France during 1918. Per Rich’s timeline, it’s specifically June of that year. I took the liberty of snapping a few screenshots of the BO2 Origins opening cutscene. Hopefully the map featured therein will help narrow it down. Attached is one of the screenshots, a map of the Western Front in 1918, and some info on one of the locations the camera focuses on. I’ll post the other two after the opening post, 2 megabyte data limit and all. 

5BCA18BD-9D0E-4504-B3F7-4A5E5BC994E5.jpeg

21E7ABF1-6E45-4BBD-B255-7287678CB30F.jpeg

3A030518-B3F9-450C-AC1D-3D3360373BF8.jpeg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Today still, some parts of the French countryside in the north suffer of so-called 'Zones Rouge', or Red Zones. These are areas are filled with unexploded mines and shells, heavily polluted by lead, mercury, chlorine, arsenic, various dangerous gases, acids, and human and animal remains, and also littered with ammunition depots and chemical plants. The Zone Rouge was defined just after the war as "Completely devastated. Damage to properties: 100%. Damage to Agriculture: 100%. Impossible to clean. Human life impossible". Up to this day, there are still areas where 99% of all plants die, which are prohibited to enter.

600px-Red_Zone_Map-fr.svg.png

I'd like to believe Origins took place within one of these Zones. This was, the French government (and who knows the Illuminati or later perhaps Broken Arrow) could keep the site secret, to investigate 115 and the potential gateway without interference of the public. To the external world they could just say they were doing clean-up activities or something. One of these red zones is even very close to Verdun and Bar-le-Duc, the two towns most prominently seen in the Origins intro map. So perhaps Origins takes place somewhere in that zone?

That seems quite plausible. The only issue I could see with it is that it’s very close to the front. Maybe the French could accidentally extend the red zone in that area some miles behind the front, outside of artillery range. That’s assuming the map doesn’t indicate a red zone already that deep within the German zone, of course. I’m not sure how much to scale that map is.

• Moderators
22 hours ago, NotAnAn0n said:

The only issue I could see with it is that it’s very close to the front.

Isn't Origins at the front? It is mentioned to take place on the Battlefields of the Great War, not to forget that we see a lot of artillery, tanks, planes, trenches etc which would suggest it is located at a battlezone.

Also curious to the building style of the church, is it based on a real village in France?

4 hours ago, anonymous said:

Isn't Origins at the front? It is mentioned to take place on the Battlefields of the Great War, not to forget that we see a lot of artillery, tanks, planes, trenches etc which would suggest it is located at a battlezone.

Also curious to the building style of the church, is it based on a real village in France?

@Rapt suggested this church, as you do indeed points to the battle of Verdun as you said but everything else points towards the battle of battle of Messines:

https://translate.google.co.il/translate?hl=iw&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fnl.m.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAbdij_van_Mesen

Hilter's painting of the church:
1024px-Adolf_Hitler_-_Klosterruine_in_Me

5 hours ago, anonymous said:

You're probably right. I had it in mind that the excavations began roughly concurrent to the Battle of Verdun, but according to Rich's timeline excavation began a year after, in 1917. 

10 minutes ago, NotAnAn0n said:

You're probably right. I had it in mind that the excavations began roughly concurrent to the Battle of Verdun, but according to Rich's timeline excavation began a year after, in 1917. 

Yeah history complete accuracy is not out there. Especially when you're in another dimension/fracture which is not the original one. The term "Robot" was invented in 1920 and yet you see actual robots on the battlefields of the great war.  

Archived