Call of Duty: ApocalypZ (MAIN THREAD)

Humphrey

CALL OF DUTY - ApocalypZ

spacer.png

Hello everyone, and I decided to take on a very ambitious project for my first series of posts onto this forum, being the fact that I want to "pitch" a hypothetical Zombies-only experience that would be the "main" way to experience Zombies as if it was redone similar to the concept of Warzone being the evolution of Blackout after the end of the Black Ops Cold War season. 

First things first, I want to start by getting the technical stuff out of the way before I can get to the fun stuff.

WARNING: This first part is probably gonna be pretty boring. It basically is more of "If this game was gonna be real, how it would be handled?" This will probably be one of the shorter parts as well, due to me not wanting to write a whole page and a half just about the logistics of it. 

Part One - Technical Information

To start out, assume that this would get enough development time as it needs in order to become a perfectly polished product. In the infamous words of CD Projekt Red; 

"It'll be done when it's done."

In order for it to be fully realized, however, there is the question that's burning within the start already. 

THE ENGINE/DEVELOPERS

In a dream world, every company would shell some of its members into a separate development team to handle the project. However, we do not live in the perfect world that Monty had envisioned. In reality, this would be most likely handled by Sledgehammer Games, being that their track record is far from reputable at this point with their flopped releases of World War II and Advanced Warfare, being both either underrated or universally panned. Due to this and the (supposed) arguing between Raven over their development cycle for "Cold War" (or at least their version of COD 2020), they would be reduced to a "primary" developer like Raven and their efforts would be focused on making ApocalypZ rather then the 2-3 year cycle they have for dev time on a new game. 

For the engine itself, it would most likely be a usage of the Black Ops Cold War engine. (Basically BO4's with some of MW's parts mixed in), in order to create a next gen experience. 

CONSOLES IT WILL RELEASE ON

The consoles that I could realistically see this on is the PS5, Xbox Series X and PC. Due to the amount of stuff that this game will contain, It would not be advised to have it on the PS4 or Xbox One due to the apparent issues that some last gen consoles are already seeing in games such as Cyberpunk and Cold War, and by the point this game will release (2021-22), this game will be further advanced for last gen consoles. 

And now, here's the money shot, rounding out this first part. 

THE PRICE

Yes, it will be paid for. However, it is a reduced price. Think Modern Warfare Remastered or Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered, in between 20 and 30 dollars for the base game. This will come with the 2 new maps (detailed later on in this thread), as well as if you own Black Ops Cold War and have played it, you get access to the Black Ops Cold War maps (Die Maschine + the 4 DLC maps we get) for free on launch.  

I'll try to make posts on this thread updating with several parts, starting with the actual menu design within after the New Year. Stay tuned!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Nice stuff @Humphrey, look forward to the continuation. 

A personal idea for a Zombies standalone game: The main menu is a world globe, similar to Black Ops II but not broken. Chapter 1 are the World at War classic maps, with the globe featuring the maps as four locations, and when you select one, you will zoom in and see the map's name, description and additional provided coordinates. There also is a symbol, like in Black Ops III, that will colour to confirm if you have done the map's quest, related to the story.

• Nacht der Untoten: No quest. This map is the first zombies map you will play, introducing you to the mechanics. After playing it once already confirms you have completed this map
  • Verrückt: No quest either, as the only story event that happened here was the capture of Tank Dempsey. The only change is that if you die, you see a small vague cutscene (like Nacht's intro) of getting captured by the Nazi's. 
  • Shi no Numa: Retrieve Richtofen's Diary. Simply interacting with it will complete the story quest.
  • Der Riese: Overload the teleporter with the Wunderwaffe

After completing all story quests, the globe will reach the Cold War era (Black Ops I maps). The old World War II era maps are still playable, but simply not highlighted anymore. The story quests speak for itself. Upon finishing Moon, you will proceed to Black Ops II with the Broken earth menu. After these quests, you will unlock the BO3 maps, and after that the BO4 maps. You'll get the point. Just wanted to share that :)

• Moderators

I came up with challenges to unlock more maps "in sequence" story-wise that incentivizes playing all of the maps to either help others out to unlock them the maps as well or fully explore maps that are considered hated for bandwagon reasons. Easter Eggs would be tweaked to a state similar to Call of the Dead where steps are different/removed/skipped in Solo but present in Co-Op, so that everyone playing can unlock all the maps with enough dedication and effort. (This also builds off of @anonymous's post above while trying to make some fun challenges for a few of the choices.)

Nacht der Untoten, Verrückt, Shi no Numa and Der Riese could be available freely with no external challenges, as the "OG" maps building the foundation for the rest.

Kino der Toten: Unlocked by firing the Wunderwaffe while teleporting in Der Riese (Secret Quest)

Ascension: Unlocked by reactivating the Lunar Lander in Kino der Toten (Main Quest, maybe get a part from the ladder every Kino "expert" claimed was accessible by doing something ridiculous)

Call of the Dead: Unlocked by repairing the Casimir Mechanism in Ascension (Main Quest)

Shangri-la: Unlocked by sending the crew to Paradise in Call of the Dead (Main Quest)

Classified: Unlocked by acquiring the Focusing Stone in Shangri-la (Main Quest)

FIVE: Unlocked by completing Project Skadi in Classified (Side Quest)

Moon: Unlocked by linking the teleporters with Groom Lake in Classified (Side Quest)

Nuketown Zombies: Unlocked by completing Richtofen's Grand Scheme on Moon (Main Quest)

Tranzit: Unlocked by complying with Maxis's Contingency Plan on Moon (Main Quest)

Bus Depot / Diner / Farm / Power Station / Town (Survival): Unlocked by constructing the Buildables in their corresponding areas in Tranzit (Side Quest)

Die Rise: Unlocked by activating the Global Polarization Tower on Tranzit (Main Quest)

Buried: Unlocked by activating the Global Polarization Tower on Die Rise (Main Quest)

Origins: Unlocked by pushing the button in Buried (Secret Quest)

Shadows of Evil: Unlocked by releasing Samantha in Origins (Main Quest)

The Giant: Unlocked by averting the apocalypse in Shadows of Evil (Main Quest)

Der Eisendrache: Unlocked by activating the giant robot in The Giant (Secret Quest {Extra Perk Machine Easter Egg})

Zetsubou no Shima: Unlocked by doing what must be done in Der Eisendrache (Main Quest)

Gorod Krovi: Unlocked by revealing the secrets in Zetsubou no Shima (Main Quest)

Revelations: Unlocked by facing the truth in Gorod Krovi (Main Quest)

Mob of the Dead: Unlocked by completing the cycle in Revelations (Main Quest)

Blood of the Dead: Unlocked by revealing the secrets in Zetsubou no Shima (Main Quest) while having broken the cycle in Mob of the Dead (Main Quest Option)

Alpha Omega: Unlocked by releasing the prisoners of Hangar 4 in Classified (Main Quest, a rework of Classified's Easter Egg that cannot be done unless Blood of the Dead's Main Quest is completed {just as Moon originally needed Call of the Dead and Shangri-la to complete})

Tag der Toten: Unlocked by beginning Nikolai's Grand Scheme in Alpha Omega (Main Quest)

Die Maschine: Unlocked by setting things right in Tag der Toten (Main Quest)

• 3 months later...

PART 2 -  LAUNCH MAPS

It's been a while, huh?

College and life get to you fast, but instead I decided I would make a shorter addition rather then go into the intricacies of the menu design and gameplay mechanics just yet while I work on them still. Enjoyable nonetheless, here's Part Two!

At launch of this game, there would be 2 new maps, accompanying the original Aether and Dark Aether maps with a new expansion into the Dark Aether story. Both are remakes, but take the general gist of the map in a completely different way.

REBIRTH OF THE DEAD

Rebirth of the Dead.png

November 17th, 1984

Omega Group’s latest foray into the affairs of exo-elemental scientific research leads Requiem to the horrific island of Vozrozhdeniya, also known as “Rebirth Island”. Meshed with elements of both the prison of Alcatraz and a strange hellscape within the Dark Aether, players will see things they remember old and new while trying to avoid death itself on this island by Zombies and the new hellish Ghosthounds, spirits of Hellhounds from the afterlife.  Viktor "Stitch" Kuzmin would be the main proprietor of Omega Group's chemical warfare research, with him playing a main role in the Easter Egg. 

This would be the most complex map out of the two, to suffice for players who would want to play more for story and easter eggs, appealing to the newer Zombies fans. (BO3 - Cold War) 

The main Easter Egg would be called "Patching Stitches" in it's achievement name. 

NUKED

(Sorry, I don't have an image for this one at least ;-;)

DECEMBER 24th, 1984

Collective turned to cult.

Secrets buried underground.

Aetherium-based insanity.

The Requiem Strike Team manages to find the strange remains of a desert paradise in the middle of winter, "Site B", which recently became a hotspot of an Outbreak Zone after a nuclear detonation several months earlier. Past and present collide in this classic spectacle of "Zombies", as the Dark Aether weaves a tale of a testing site that's a phenomenon around the globe.

This map would be the simpler of the two, adapting to more "classic" players (WAW, BO1, BO2) who prefer a survival map. There is an easter egg though, called "Cyclotronic Catastrophe".

Archived