Aetherium General Discussion and Theory Thread

caljitsu

Firstly, big thanks to @NotAnAn0nfor the inspiration for this thread.

Serving as a consequence of Tag Der Toten, the Aether is now non-existent in Black Ops Cold War. However, it's opposite - The Dark Aether remains.

At the time of writing this thread (One week before the release of BOCW), we - understandably - have a severe lack of knowledge at our disposal in relation to the Dark Aether, save for one thing: Aetherium.

All we know for sure is that Aetherium can be obtained as "Raw Aetherium Crystals", which can be infused into Perks in order to enhance their effectiveness. However, I want to begin the theory-crafting by postulating that just as Element 115 were almost like "physical batteries" for Aetherial Energy, Aetherium will serve the same purpose for the Dark Aether's Energies.

I expect that Aetherium will become quite the topic of conversation in the coming weeks, so let's get the discussion started early.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I assume you are spot on regarding Aetherium being the Dark Aether equivalent of Element 115, as if energy from the Aether is able to manifest itself in physical matter, why not energy from the Dark Aether as well? Element 115 is also called Divinium, referring to 'Divine' which is a word I associate with 'high', 'light' or godly', something that is good in essence (dedpite all the element's awfull effects on making organisms into abominations). Perhaps Aetherium is the opposite, while 115 is the fabric of creation, this being the manifestation of nothingness? 

I'm intrigued by the energy we see generated by Die Maschine. We see similar anomalities in the MP gamemode, Zombies Onslaught (see this video). Treyarch explained the Soviet Omega Group as having a keen interest in studying and harnessing the unexplained events and anomalies manifesting around the globe. I think it may be them we play in this gamemode, travelling around the world to study these weird purple orbs. Is this Aetherium?

• Moderators
6 hours ago, caljitsu said:

Just as a brief update, the Intel description for the D.I.E would imply that Aetherium is also referred to as Exo-Element 1. The alt-fire of the D.I.E collects Aetherium from Zombies, implying that it genuinely is the Dark Aether's energy, as speculated.

Also posted it in Richkillers thread, but I find the usage of the word 'Exo-Element' very perculiar, meaning it is different than a normal element.

We cannot imagine something else than a regular element, the whole world around us is built up by it. Elements are basically different types of atoms, the very fabric of what makes up matter. An atom exists of a nucleus of neutrons and protons, with a cloud of electrons rotating around it. What distinguishes elements from each other, is the amount of protons in the core: Hydrogen, the most basic element, has merely one proton in the core. Helium, Element 2, has 2 protons, and so forth. Given Aetherium was unique enough to call it something else than a regular element, I think the key lays at the composition of an atom. Perhaps it has positrons rather than electrons rotating the nucleus. Since elements differ from each other with regards to the protons in the core, I think it may have something to do with the protons. Antiprotons is the antiparticle of a proton....is Aetherium an element with antiprotons instead of protons?

13 hours ago, anonymous said:

is Aetherium an element with antiprotons instead of protons?

Maybe. I'm definitely a fan of the reasoning here, but would that not simply annihilate? It's been a while since I've studied particle physics, but if those positrons came anywhere near any ambient electrons, would it not just result in annihilation and produce energy as a result?

Hell, perhaps that's the point, I mean it *is* an energy source.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, caljitsu said:

Maybe. I'm definitely a fan of the reasoning here, but would that not simply annihilate? It's been a while since I've studied particle physics, but if those positrons came anywhere near any ambient electrons, would it not just result in annihilation and produce energy as a result?

Hell, perhaps that's the point, I mean it *is* an energy source.

Quite coincidentally is my neighbour a particle physician and we had a campfire drink yesterday so I asked him, and he said it would most definately annihilate, so that would make it difficult indeed. Perhaps they managed to create some kind of vacuüm to safely capture the exo-element in?

Regarding antimatter, he said something interesting. He said that theoretically, antimatter could look just like matter in our 3D world. It could form planets, creatures and objects. There are even physicians who believe that galaxies we see far away, isolated by dark matter, are actually galaxies of antimatter. It doesnt matter if this is true or not, but it is interesting because I've always found it weird how we see a solid ground in the Dark Aether in the AO intro, where Sam stands upon.

maxresdefault.jpg

We see materialized Elder Gods also in the Revelations intro, and a 3D Apothicon Sun. Is the Dark Aether a physical plane, but rather of negative matter?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

After playing for a bit and having time to think it over, I think that Aetherium is the remnants of 115 that still exist but without a connection to a now-unraveled Aether. Granted, we will still see an abundance of it as in the grand scheme of things we are dealing with a fraction of the former multiverse and Aether which were entangled in each other, the Aether no longer exists as a plane now that the "string [holding the Aether together] has been pulled" and breaks down the final pieces of itself within the Dark Aether. In short, we are playing with 115 again but without the Aethereal connections despite the name. They are remnants of the past, what is still there will whisper to us while it slowly fades away / gets used up; unable to sustain itself as it now acts as a chaotic agent of change as opposed to a controlled one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 5:14 PM, clueless said:

After playing for a bit and having time to think it over, I think that Aetherium is the remnants of 115 that still exist but without a connection to a now-unraveled Aether. Granted, we will still see an abundance of it as in the grand scheme of things we are dealing with a fraction of the former multiverse and Aether which were entangled in each other, the Aether no longer exists as a plane now that the "string [holding the Aether together] has been pulled" and breaks down the final pieces of itself within the Dark Aether. In short, we are playing with 115 again but without the Aethereal connections despite the name. They are remnants of the past, what is still there will whisper to us while it slowly fades away / gets used up; unable to sustain itself as it now acts as a chaotic agent of change as opposed to a controlled one.

Created an account just to add onto this, 

115's origins is the dark aether, the element was used as an agent to spread corruption across the multiverse. I think when the multiverse was purged 115 became aetherium similar to how coal becomes diamonds, the amount of energy of sending a multiverses supply of 115 could have changed it into a different form we have never seen it in before. It clearly is similar enough to 115 to be used in perks and to upgrade weapons, but its so much more potent. maybe the structure of the crystals allows it to channel a lot more dark aether energy (this is the same energy the D.I.E sucks up from zombies) sort of how certain crystals resonate due to electricity.

Sorry for my ramblings,

TLDR: aetherium is element 115 but think of divinium as coal and aetherium as a diamond, the atomic structure of the element gives it new properties but its still the same element as before. 

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Vietnam provided us more intel regarding the Exo-Element. Thank you Radzakpak for providing the resources of this:

Strauss: Aetherium has proven to be fascinating in both its gaseous and solid, crystalline states. It appears the infected and Dark Aether creatures require it for their very survival, not unlike oxygen in our own reality.

Strauss: We've observed that the farther you are from a breach, the less exposure you risk. If Aetherium is their "oxygen," this explains why they are restricted to these "outbreak zones."

"Not unlike oxygen". Our bodies, the bodies of every aerobic organism actually, require oxygen for energy. Every cell has mitochondria, the "powerhouse of the cell" which undergoes a variety of aerobic chemical reactions to create ATP, the universal energy carrier. These reaction need oxygen badly, and that's why we breathe and also part of why we have a bloodvessel system, directly or indirectly providing every cell its oxygen. So bear in mind, simply said, oxygen=energy.

Now Aetherium definately seems more like an errant energy rather than a real molecular compound like oxygen (existing of two O molecules connected with two covalent bindings). In this context, Aetherium sounds very alike to the effect of 115 on dead cells: providing resurrection. Zombies do not need a heart-lung machine that pumps them full of liquid Aetherium, zombies do not need a working blood system: Their cells are resurrected because they are overly irradiated with Aetherium present in the outbreak zones. When a corpse walks outside a zone, it falls dead on the ground as its cells do not receive the required energy.

The interesting thing is, in my opinion, that the cells are thereby directly linked with an external energy (instead of transporting compounds through the blood containing 'fuel' for the mitochondria). If the zombies are so directly and dependantly linked to the energy flowing through them, this made me wonder if there would be any Entity "on the other side", consciously controlling the undead. No mindless beasts that crave for fresh meat, but soldiers acting out of a common hivemind. Where have we heard that before...

2 minutes ago, anonymous said:

"Not unlike oxygen". Our bodies, the bodies of every aerobic organism actually, require oxygen for energy. Every cell has mitochondria, the "powerhouse of the cell" which undergoes a variety of aerobic chemical reactions to create ATP, the universal energy carrier. These reaction need oxygen badly, and that's why we breathe and also part of why we have a bloodvessel system, directly or indirectly providing every cell its oxygen. So bear in mind, simply said, oxygen=energy.

Now Aetherium definately seems more like an errant energy rather than a real molecular compound like oxygen (existing of two O molecules connected with two covalent bindings). In this context, Aetherium sounds very alike to the effect of 115 on dead cells: providing resurrection. Zombies do not need a heart-lung machine that pumps them full of liquid Aetherium, zombies do not need a working blood system

This also really helps to explain the differences in 115 and Exo Element 1's methods of Resurrection. I'd go as far as to call 115 "spiritual", relating to literally binding the soul to a body (and in the case of the Elemental Shard, fully re-inserting that soul in order to restore true life).

Aetherium, on the other hand, is as you say, literally a contaminant, or a radiation. We can see it with Der Wechsler, where a person's mind can be restored with far less effort than that of 115 zombies, which required the Elemental Shard, the focal-point of the entire Aether. Instead, merely all you need to do is "scrub" the Aetherium "plaque" from the brain and intelligence is restored.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, anonymous said:

The interesting thing is, in my opinion, that the cells are thereby directly linked with an external energy (instead of transporting compounds through the blood containing 'fuel' for the mitochondria). If the zombies are so directly and dependantly linked to the energy flowing through them, this made me wonder if there would be any Entity "on the other side", consciously controlling the undead. No mindless beasts that crave for fresh meat, but soldiers acting out of a common hivemind. Where have we heard that before...

If I may drag this into Extinction territory, this actually reminds me more of the relationship between the Hives and Cryptids more than Controller and Puppets as seen in both Extinction and Aether. In Extinction, Hives release pheromones which empower the Cryptids with increased strength and durability and in return the Cryptids, which are just lucid enough to acknowledge this, protect the Hives for the sake of the Hives as well as their own sake. In the same fashion in Dark Aether, the dead are reanimated / empowered by the "pheromones" of Aetherium, so they protect the area giving them life and empowering them for the area's sake and their own. 

By no means am I disregarding that someone/something is very possibly in control, quite the contrary. In Extinction, Ancestors were also controlling the Cryptids to an extent. However, the Cryptids themselves were beasts of war with lucid comprehension of their own, having free will outside of the direct orders they received. I think this same vein of "hivemind" can fit more than an Apothicon hivemind, where every agent has free will but if a command comes from a higher source that command must be obeyed as opposed to every consciousness being part of a singular entity.

Archived