ten years

Tac

• Administrators

Hello all, Tac here. October 20, 2010 was my first day on this forum, right before Black Ops and quite near the beginning of my comprehensible life (26 now this month). Sometimes that doesn't seem very crazy to me and then other days it seems simply incredible, I've made as close of connections to people on this forum as my closest IRL friends (and fuck off if you sneer at that like it can't be true). Per usual I feel I've thought about this post a lot as it approached but as I've come to create it, I'm more at a loss for words than expected. Real quick on that point I want to shout out @Ehjookayted for the way he was able to speak to and rally the forum.

I have expressed this many times before but, for me, this CoDz Forum is home because it taught me how to think as a young man. During all the free-flying theory days of BO1, debates on this forum were raucous but the thing that held it together was knowing everyone really just wanted to get as close to the truth of the story as possible, which I sense again in the CoDz community today. With so much of the early story seemingly leaning into real history, which I don't claim is better or worse but just that it's where I have a bias, we kept each other grounded in what we actually saw in-game and then everyone would run wild on the rest. There were great debates over whether maps were out of order for example, or grand ideas on how to incorporate random things we see in a map because so much of the story was untold. Everyone had their ideas and what we now call headcanon, but what the story offered me was a way to debate contested points with a respectful community and learn to reflect on how I thought about facts, even if just in the zombie universe.

But anyway to a point within that, it wasn't just trying to get to the bottom of the story, it was caring about the people in this tightknit community. The site was and is mixed with incredible personalities that help it move forward. Harkening back, having MMX just ruthlessly call someone out for what he believed just couldn't be the case transformed the whole zombies community by the end with his four hour story video, but the forum never collapsed over abrasive personalities it helped move it forward. I am proud to say I was one of the few that stuck with him til the end of his project, debating and arguing almost just for the sake of it.

Dunno where I'm going with this but don't gatekeep how people should interpret events in the story and let people just theory-craft and throw shit against the wall (CoDz is the home of Samantha ffs!) as Treyarch is constantly rewriting this work of art, try to find the best in people (which @anonymous does best here), and be positive.

A negative community will go nowhere.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Ten years ago, a legend was born. This site is as lucky to have you as you are to have it. 
I’m so thankful for that forum ethos. I never expected, joining it, to be learning as much about life as I did about Zombies, much less meeting one of my BFFL! Here’s to the future, whatever it brings, and all the ways we can continue to share the experience of CODZ with the community. Congrats Tac!

• Moderators

Oh boy, what a words. If the CoDZ family would be together in real life now, I'd shout 'Speech!' and empty my glas or bottle. I joined around the same age as you, now 5 years ago I think and I've learned so much here. First of all, I think my english grades went up with an average of two points ever since I joined this place. I learned theorizing, having debates, discussing, and like you say, developing an own way how to look to things. Knowing the expertise of your fellow members as well, and knowing when you have been too blind and stubborn yourself. I became acquinted with the world of history, electromagnetism and pseudoscience. I realized how much fun it was to find scientifically-backed evidence for ideas you would just have in your mind, you know, and it sorta motivated me to study more neurobiology-related courses. The most important thing was to get familiar with so many awesome people, family, from all over the globe. CoDZ is such a nice reminder that it doesn't matter what language one speaks, what habitat one lives, humans can be friendly anywhere. Without seeing one of you, I feel like I genuine know how you are and I'm ready to visit y'all for a coffee or a beer whenever I'm in the area of either one of you.

In the time I am at CoDZ, which is a quarter of my life really, I entered university, got a dog, started living on my self, fell in love twice, got and lost a girl, discovered myself, started enjoying the natural world around me, started travelling, and started to really enjoy every day. I've realized its not the future that its all about, the treassure, but rather the voyage, the hunt towards it. Life.

As for the optimism, yeah, there is reason enough to be. I can explain, but it is too complex to do so as of now. I find it particular that humans can keep thinking about the one thing they did wrong that day, but never think about the ten good things they did that day. Also about other people around and the world around. La vie, c'est belle!

But really, quite some folks here have a special place in my heart. I can say what I want to you, and for real, expect me for a beer one day 🙂

• Moderators

Agreed on all fronts Tac, even if you are a Maxis sympathizer.

I've learned through all the discussions, the highs and the lows, and the new faces popping up here and there some very important things ranging across the spectrum. I've learned that no matter how much you think you know about something you're passionate about, there will always be people that know more than you in certain areas, and that's not a bad thing; It's a chance to learn more. As has been said, I've learned to see someone else's perspective and accept after a hard-fought discussion that sometimes you won't always break through to the other person, and that's okay. 

The biggest thing for me, and I'm sure many others, is that I can be wrong. We are all fallible, but it is human nature to want to not back down when you are proven wrong. We've all struggled with it, hell I still struggle with it. But healthy discussion teaches humility, which is sorely lacking these days.

For any newer faces just lurking or still in the introductory phase: We're welcome to new ideas and fresh takes, all the time, as long as it is respectful. That's the secret ingredient: respect for your fellow person. It's not only going to get you far on CoDz, but I think it will get you far in life as well.

Cheers to another generation of members and the positivity going forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived