Oculus Quest 2 Review: A Great Next Step For Oculus VR

• Administrators
Admin

The Oculus Quest is a special device. While it doesn't match up with the beefiest of VR-ready PCs, it's still able to compete with them in the experience it provides, thanks primarily to the wireless freedom it grants its user. Playing a VR game without worrying about a cable or external sensors is liberating in a way that makes it significantly easier to lose yourself in an experience for hours--or at least until the battery dies. Of course, there's also the option to connect the Quest to a PC and enjoy virtual worlds that demand a wired headset. There's no doubt that the Quest is one of the most exciting gadgets of the past few years, and now it has a successor that improves on it in almost every way.

The Oculus Quest 2 has a faster processor, more RAM, and higher-resolution lenses that will eventually support a 90Hz refresh rate--at launch, you'll be able to use system software like the headset's Home menus and Browser in 90Hz as an experimental feature. The increased resolution brings the lenses up to 1832x1900 from the original's 1600x1440. The Quest 2 definitely has the hardware to be a worthy successor and the potential for unique experiences that wouldn't be possible on the original Quest. However, Oculus plans to continue supporting its first all-in-one headset for the foreseeable future, releasing games that work on both headsets.

The Oculus Quest 2 is the most comfortable VR headset I've ever worn. As someone who wears glasses nearly 100% of the time, VR can cause me quite a bit of discomfort. Putting on a headset isn't always a convenient or comfortable experience, and taking it off may cause my glasses to fall to the floor or get stuck in the confines of the face shield. With the Quest 2, I haven't had that issue--it's extremely easy to take off this headset and put it back on quickly. It's also noticeably smaller and lighter than the original Quest, making it easier to wear for longer.

Continue Reading at GameSpot

View the full article