Interpretations of the "Venus" cipher

Rapt

Rev Cipher #4
October NSA report T they found the source on Venus beginning extraction

As it's an intellegence report from the NSA. So first thing is to check US codewords.

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/USN-NAVEXOS_P-474.html
image.png

image.png

As you can see, the only single US codeword reference to VENUS is to an island off Papua New Guinea.

image.pngimage.png
This also works with the syntax of the sentence. 
"on Venus" meaning "on the island codename Venus" not "on the planet named Venus".
Even "on Mount Lotomgan" works gramatically if we got picky about the codeword meaning the mountain specifically.
Also when it comes to the capabilities of the NSA (assuming it's not a NASA typo) it seems unlikely they would be involved with drilling on the planet Venus.
With Broken Arrow, The Ascension Group, Group 935, and Division 9 it's a possibility.
However with the NSA, common sense would point towards it being a coded message.

And finally,"found the source ___ beginning extraction".
Again, first thought would be a drill like we see in the Nuketown loading screen.
The "source" refering to an element, and "extraction" refering to the mining process.
While this is possible, there is again another meaning that might not be immediately obvious.

"Source" could very well refer to the source of a signal, rather than of an element.
And if this is the case, "extraction" would refer to extracting an individual, or individuals from the location.

Seems far more likely for the NSA to be involved with signals and extraction of individuals than mining on another planet.

So that's all the information I have to share. 
It's still very possible it refers to the planet Venus, we see Venus mentioned in the SoE scrap etc.
But as I have shown above there is enough evidence and logic to support another interpretation.
It is the interpretation I find most convincing myself.
But what do you think? Leave any thoughts in the comments I'd love to read them.

Rapt.

n3bTUBr.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

This is awesome man, makes so much more sense. The fact it is in New Guinea instantly reminded me of Shi No Numa: in the map's audio files, one can hear the sound of a Kookaburra bird. This bird species only live in Australia and New Guinea, and given the fact that merely New Guinea was (partly) captured by the Japanese in WW2 leads me to believe Shi no Numa is somewhere in New Guinea. 

Copy Of Wwii Drives For Empire - Lessons - Tes Teach

It seems like New Britain and Mt. Lotomgan was in fact in an area of New Guinea that was Japanese. It also would make sense with VENUS being a Naval abbreviation, as the Pacific War was for a large part centered around naval warfare. However, the NSA was only formed in 1952, seven years after the second world war, while the Americans already recovered materials from the Rising Sun Facility in 1945 and 1946.

Perhaps it has something to do with this? Lemuria, a lost continent in the Pacific that could've stretched over the entire southern Pacific? 

De 14 beste afbeeldingen van Lemurië - Mo ○ | Spiritualiteit ...

Anyway, I think I am more fund on your idea of it being about extracting an individual, the source being his GPS signal. Why it's relevance in the Zombies story, though?

That point you make about the Kookaburra is brilliant!
Do you have a link to the piece of audio?
That is incredibly strong evidence for this theory. Really strong.

And if it is Shi No Numa it does connect smoothly.
Shi No Numa has a Comms Room as a named section of the map after all. 
Which would explain the signal "source" we are assuming is mentioned.

And we know there is 115 on site that could be"extracted".
There is also the body of Peter McCain that we know Pernell had extracted in BO4. (I think, my BO4 knowledge isn't 100)

As you can see this map of the Empire of Japan does include New Britain.
And Shi No Numa is stated to be in the empire of Japan.
774px-Empire_of_Japan_(1868-1945).svg.png

In my mind that's some pretty strong connections. 

• Administrators

Interesting choice looking to codewords for Venus that's a fun find. I'm pretty split on what Venus is supposed to mean, this is a possibility. Regarding SNN I personally don't think it's anywhere near Papau New Guinea so I don't then make the Venus connection but I see how that intrigues people.

Interesting thread!

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, The Meh said:

How close is Papua New Guinea to the coordinates we received in regards to the Apothicon Elder God from TDT?

Food for thought.

The Elder God's corpse lays in the Northern Pacific, between Russia and Canada and far away from any landmass or island. They might've chosen that location for that reason. Good thinking tho!

@Rapt I forgot about McCain, checking the documents in Alpha Omega it seems like his corpse was extracted in 1964, when NSA already existed. Could he be the source? (Sorry I cannot find the regarding soundfiles)

@Tac you're into the idea that Shi no Numa is in Manchuria, right? Whilst that would make a lot of sense regarding pretty much all of Unit 731's facilities, as well as their "log mill", I think the general flora in Shi no Numa shows it cannot be Manchuria. The climate of Manchuria has extreme seasonal contrasts, ranging from humid, almost tropical heat in the summer to windy, dry, Arctic cold in the winter [1]. So while it may reach subtropical temperatures in the summer, it can freeze 23 degrees Fahrenheid to even minus 22 Fahrenheid (Siberia style) in the winter. The wetlands in Manchuria appear more marsh-like than (sub)tropical swamp-like. For comparision, here are pictures of Manchurian and New Guinean wetlands:

Manchurian mixed forests | Amur Information Center / Portal Friends discover a long-forgotten world war II relic under a ...

Additional evidence for Shi no Numa being somewhere tropical (presumably New Guinea) is because it is said to be in a 'sweltering jungle' in the map's biography. Furthermore, the map's overhead in World at War was the following:

Spoiler

"Soldiers, 

We’ve got some bad news. The zombie infestation previously plaguing isolated areas within Germany has spread to the Pacific. Communication is shoddy at best, but we’ve pinned what sounds like an SOS signal to a remote jungle location in Japan.

Heavy fog and impassible swamp terrain have left reconnaissance efforts near fruitless. However, we have secured intelligence supporting the survival of an Allied force in the area. The map below was found on the ground near the signal location, but evacuation became necessary as night began to fall.

Our recon squad is made up of some of the toughest and meanest soldiers you’ll ever meet, but they’re smart enough to get out before the dogs start preying at night; those hounds of Hell make their living counterparts seem about as threatening as a bunch of kittens after dinner.

With the war demanding every ounce of strength we can muster, there’s no telling when a full search and rescue operation will be conducted. For now we can only hope that our soldiers in the swamp can hold the zombies off. "

Seems like it were the Americans that encountered Shi no Numa, while Manchuria was overtaken by the Soviet Red Army.

I think the reason Unit 731 made an exception for having a facility not in Manchuria is because the 115 meteorite crashed in New Guinea, and one couldn't simply replace the entire rock to another location. So yeah, all chemical warfare experiments were going on in Manchuria but studying 115 wasn't footloose, it had to be performed at the impact site itself.

Anyways, it could still be Manchuria if you ignore the flora & fauna. Treyarch seems to do that occasionally. Call of the Dead is also said to take place in Tunguska whilst Tunguska in real life is no frozen cape but a coniferous tundra forest. Rad theorized about that one that the Siberian Outpost might be set at the end of the Yenisei river, where the Tunguska river in ends. A 115 deposition could accumulate at the frozen northern coast of Siberia.

Nizhnyaya Tunguska - Wikipedia

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchuria#:~:text=The climate of Manchuria has,Arctic cold in the winter.&text=Temperatures in the summer are,F) in the extreme north.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Rapt said:

And if it is Shi No Numa it does connect smoothly.
Shi No Numa has a Comms Room as a named section of the map after all. 
Which would explain the signal "source" we are assuming is mentioned.

Thinking about it, do you remember all those weird sounds in Shi no Numa?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVOd004ErYY

Listen from 0:40

Commenters on that video say they hear "Save us" and "god". I always assumed these were the souls of the undead trying to communicate with us, amplified and broadcasted by the electronic devices. Listening the the song 'the One', we hear that the ultimate wish of the zombies is to put them out of their missery. But could it also be McCain's soul? It reminds me of this weird line, back in the days of World at War

"Ever since the second outbreak at Nacht der Untoten, troops have been noticing strange radio transmissions and broadcasts taking place in the dead of the night"

@Tac @anonymous I'm not here to blow holes in any other theories, however.......
Is the Manchuria theory based on anything ingame?
Or is it speculation based on Unit 731 and real world events?

I'd genuinely like to see any evidence for Manchuria before I come to a conclusion.

I read this thread but as far as I can see the connection was:
1. Unit 731 had a base in Manchuria -> Unit 731 called test subjects "lumber" -> SNN has trees and a flogger trap made of wood (lumber)
2. The war was a perfect opportunity for Takeo to explore his blood-lust and study the nature of those less honorable than himself.

This is just circumstantial connections to real world events and the quote does not connect to any specific location.
It's leaning VERY hard on real world events and as far as I can see doesn't have any basis ingame except the Flogger being made of wood?
Or am I being super dumb here and missing something?
(I know Manchuria was invaded by Japan in WW2 so it is techincally possible, but so is anywhere else in the Japanese Empire... More evidence needed!)

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Rapt said:

@Tac @anonymous I'm not here to blow holes in any other theories, however.......
Is the Manchuria theory based on anything ingame?
Or is it speculation based on Unit 731 and real world events?

I'd genuinely like to see any evidence for Manchuria before I come to a conclusion.

I read this thread but as far as I can see the connection was:
1. Unit 731 had a base in Manchuria -> Unit 731 called test subjects "lumber" -> SNN has trees and a flogger trap made of wood (lumber)
2. The war was a perfect opportunity for Takeo to explore his blood-lust and study the nature of those less honorable than himself.

This is just circumstantial connections to real world events and the quote does not connect to any specific location.
It's leaning VERY hard on real world events and as far as I can see doesn't have any basis ingame except the Flogger being made of wood?
Or am I being super dumb here and missing something?
(I know Manchuria was invaded by Japan in WW2 so it is techincally possible, but so is anywhere else in the Japanese Empire... More evidence needed!)

Yeah it's this and a document in Black Ops stating the following:

RB/1-967

CLASSIFIED DOCUMENTATION

CIA: RB1967:44:8245

DATE: October 20, 1967

MEMORANDUM TO: Richard Helms (DD/CIA)

FROM: Ryan Jackson, Chief Analyst (APLAA), in conjunction with OSA/DI

SUBJECT: IDENTIFICATION OF POSSIBLE SOVIET BIOWEAPONS TESTING FACILITY

I am transferring to the National Security Council a full operational analysis of mosaic images received from the DS & T Corona Reconnaissance satellite system dated 13 Oct 1965. Surveillance photos (TAB A) show what can only be described as a military settlement on the Vozrozhdeniya Island (translates: "Rebirth Island") in the Aral Sea between the regions of Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.

Geographical assessment (TAB B) based off location, recent HUMINT, historical records confirm a theoretically ideal site for the open-air testing of biological weapons. Its insular locations, sparse vegetation, hot, dry climate, and sandy soil that reaches temperatures upwards of 140 degrees Fahrenheit protect the area from transmission of weaponized pathogens outside the confines of the facility. In addition, surrounding deserts and its islands locale offer general security with its overall isolation.

Documents recovered during the Occupation indicated Japanese biological weapons research in Manchuria on the part of the Imperial Army's covert R&D group Unit 731 (TAB C). With the Soviets in control of that region following V-J Day, this research has since been acquired and implemented on the part of the Soviet Union (assumptions based off Khabarovsk War Crimes Trial testimony from Unit Chief, Major general Kawashima Kiyoshi (et al) between 25-31 Dec 1949 (TAB D).

Recommend opening operational study of direct confirmation of proposed theories and, if need be, the subsequent sabotage of Rebirth Island facility via covert action.

Ryan Jackson

Special Assistant (ADDO/SAD)

However from my point of view this likely refers to the real life events of Unit 731, Manchuria and their chemical warfare. It doesn't have anything to do with Unit 731's 9th division, Element 115 and the Rising Sun Facility

• Administrators

It started with seeing a reference to Unit 731/Japanese bio weapons in Manchuria in the Rebirth campaign intel:

Manchuria.PNG

Thinking about how the blueprint for the Ray Gun was found at the Rising Sun Facility, I made general weapons-facility connections. One of the more famous 731 facilities used as cover the idea they were a sawmill and the bodies they brought in and out were called logs, which can of course invoke Shi No Numa because the map has piles of logs like a sawmill (also thinking of the Flogger as somehow part of it idk). Then when Origins teasers came out and it said Takeo had fought in Manchuria I found that interesting. And then eventually we get the confirmation it was Div 9 in Unit 731 all along.

So part of me is certainly just attached to the idea that SNN is the log facility, and then personally just not thinking it being in Papau New Guinea sounds interesting or sexy enough. So yeah I think looking back my two big ones are actual mention of manchuria in the game in other contexts of japanese testing and the logs, I find it stronger than PNG for me. Otherwise I think PNG is a great idea, and I don't know if you know this but there's another real good thread on that: https://www.callofdutyzombies.com/topic/144503-new-breakthrough-in-snn-location-update/

7 hours ago, Tac said:

Otherwise I think PNG is a great idea, and I don't know if you know this but there's another real good thread on that: 

This is what @anonymous mentioned earlier about the Kookaburra nice!
@TacThanks for the link I wouldn't have seen it otherwise.
The thread shows the sounds files are called Kookaburra_00
 and Kookaburra_01.
And as an Aussie can confirm you won't find Kookaburra's outside the Aus, PNG area.
Which heavily supports the points made above.
And pretty much proves it's not in Manchuria if you trust the game files.
(And I do trust the game files, Shang has taught me that)

However from my point of view this likely refers to the real life events of Unit 731, Manchuria and their chemical warfare. It doesn't have anything to do with Unit 731's 9th division, Element 115 and the Rising Sun Facility

@anonymousI agree 100%. 

Campaign intel is cool, and I know back in BO1 there was some crossover and hints between modes.
But again it requires connecting unrelated information and observations.
That campaign intel has no direct connection to zombies.
While "biological weapons research" is a recurring theme in zombies, there is no direct connection to the mode in that intel. 
It's a thematic connection. 
And biological weapons are not exclusive to zombies.

And the fact that there are logs at Shi No Numa could be a nod to 731 but logically there wouldn't be physical logging happening...
"Sawmill" and "logging" were codewords. Why would physical logs have any connection apart from as a nod to those with history knowledge? 
Logic would indicate it a circumstantial connection.
If you build a facility in a tree-filled swamp, you will have to chop down the trees and use them as building material.

It makes complete logical sense without connecting it to anything else.

I'm not 100% sold on the Venus theory ofc.
But the fact it points to coordinates in PNG, and the game files indicate SNN is in PNG is a hard connection to ignore.
And the rest of the cipher text does relate to SNN in terms of extracting Peter as we see happen by the Americans in BO4.

I just hold the file names Kookaburra_00 Kookaburra_01 as better evidence than one sentence of intel from another mode.
And the extraction of McCain from SNN we discover in BO4 resolves the plot thread it was teasing...

It's not about the theory being "sexy" or "exciting".
It's about it being based in leaps of logic based on evidence.
And that just depends on what you consider to be evidence or not really.

Sorry if this post seems passive aggressive, it's hard to be brief without coming across as rude ngl. I try my best!

• Moderators

Thing I wonder though, is why Mt. Lotomgan is references with VENUS. I mean, clearly Shi no Numa is in a low spawn, rather than on a mountain. Considering that, I believe the map is in PNG (fun abreviation), but rather near the mountain instead of on top of it. Does 'VENUS' also refer to the area around the mountain?

9 minutes ago, anonymous said:

Thing I wonder though, is why Mt. Lotomgan is references with VENUS. I mean, clearly Shi no Numa is in a low spawn, rather than on a mountain. Considering that, I believe the map is in PNG (fun abreviation), but rather near the mountain instead of on top of it. Does 'VENUS' also refer to the area around the mountain?

If you look at the satellite map you can see that it's not exactly alpine mountainous terrain.
They are inactive volcanos that form the island chain. And they're completely overgrown even to the peaks.
Any area near the coast or in the swampy lowlands between the different peaks would still be "on" the mountain.
The whole section of the island is a bunch of volcano's stuck together.
However a large portion is still flat and near sea level.

image.png

And to get a little deeper, it looks like Lotomgan is technically the name of a series of volcanos, not just a single peak.
https://volcano.si.edu/volcano.cfm?vn=252812
The Smithsonian Volcanism Program actually says the following 
A group of small Quaternary andesitic and rhyolitic volcanoes are located south of Bola volcano

So on a technical level. It's a group of small volcanos, or hills basically. Not a single large peak like Mt. Malala to the north.

This article is also interesting.

RESEARCH ARTICLE JANUARY 01, 1970

The Volcanoes and Caldera of Talasea, New Britain: Geology and Petrology

https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/gsa/gsabulletin/article-abstract/81/1/17/6657/The-Volcanoes-and-Caldera-of-Talasea-New-Britain?redirectedFrom=fulltext

You can even see on the first page preview image.png

Talasea being adjacent to the south.image.png
Mentioning hotsprings in the vacinity, we can see it's a forested area near sea level (swampy)
Hot and humid, just like SNN.

I wouldn't get to caught up on the "mountain" aspect.
It's not actually a mountain it's a series of hills formed by a volcanic erruption. 
Most islands are made of old volcanos anyway. But they are still mostly flat despite the land techincally all being on a volcano.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Rapt said:

This is what @anonymous mentioned earlier about the Kookaburra nice!
@TacThanks for the link I wouldn't have seen it otherwise.
The thread shows the sounds files are called Kookaburra_00
 and Kookaburra_01.
And as an Aussie can confirm you won't find Kookaburra's outside the Aus, PNG area.
Which heavily supports the points made above.
And pretty much proves it's not in Manchuria if you trust the game files.
(And I do trust the game files, Shang has taught me that)

@anonymousI agree 100%. 

Campaign intel is cool, and I know back in BO1 there was some crossover and hints between modes.
But again it requires connecting unrelated information and observations.
That campaign intel has no direct connection to zombies.
While "biological weapons research" is a recurring theme in zombies, there is no direct connection to the mode in that intel. 
It's a thematic connection. 
And biological weapons are not exclusive to zombies.

And the fact that there are logs at Shi No Numa could be a nod to 731 but logically there wouldn't be physical logging happening...
"Sawmill" and "logging" were codewords. Why would physical logs have any connection apart from as a nod to those with history knowledge? 
Logic would indicate it a circumstantial connection.
If you build a facility in a tree-filled swamp, you will have to chop down the trees and use them as building material.

It makes complete logical sense without connecting it to anything else.

I'm not 100% sold on the Venus theory ofc.
But the fact it points to coordinates in PNG, and the game files indicate SNN is in PNG is a hard connection to ignore.
And the rest of the cipher text does relate to SNN in terms of extracting Peter as we see happen by the Americans in BO4.

I just hold the file names Kookaburra_00 Kookaburra_01 as better evidence than one sentence of intel from another mode.
And the extraction of McCain from SNN we discover in BO4 resolves the plot thread it was teasing...

It's not about the theory being "sexy" or "exciting".
It's about it being based in leaps of logic based on evidence.
And that just depends on what you consider to be evidence or not really.

Sorry if this post seems passive aggressive, it's hard to be brief without coming across as rude ngl. I try my best!

Haha no worries, yeah the birds I think are by far the strongest evidence in favor of PNG as I don't find the cipher related, and likely is stronger than Manchuria. But to me they are both so highly circumstantial that at least for the time being I am hanging my hat on Manchuria as I think it fits more with the story. Like I said my big hangup is the birds but otherwise I feel ok about manchuria

Archived