Shadows of Evil - PaP stone tablet translation

Rapt

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

In the other thread this tombstone was deemed unimportant and possibly Lorem Ipsum, but I think I disagree with that due to the sharpness of the details and symbols. The 'D' and 'M' above give me the feeling this works vertically, possibly holding a cipher or maybe a kew for something. @RichKiller you see any logic in this one?

Honestly I recon it's a curse tablet. 
They were very popular with the romans. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_curse_tablets
Notice the top character is an upside down horseshoe.
Phoerio - Welsh for "spit"

Conniveo - Latin for "close the eyes"
aka: spit in the eye of 
Just some rough translation to show there is definitely some potential romance language based words in there.
I wouldn't hold that as the accurate translation

DM could well be Doctor Monty, that was a name we had no way of knowing during Launch and would qualify as "impossible".
Also the reverse letters could indicate some form of boustrophedon script which I think is what threw people off before.
https://scriptsource.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=entry_detail&uid=r722vdatzf#:~:text=It's%20a%20Greek%20word%20derived,face%20the%20direction%20of%20writing.

Hopefully you guys have some luck. 
I'll have another look at this soon

3 hours ago, anonymous said:

In the other thread this tombstone was deemed unimportant and possibly Lorem Ipsum, but I think I disagree with that due to the sharpness of the details and symbols. The 'D' and 'M' above give me the feeling this works vertically, possibly holding a cipher or maybe a kew for something. @RichKiller you see any logic in this one?

Honestly not sure. I didn't look too far with the tablet, but there are a lot of stuff in SoE that looks like it might be something but it's nothing.
One example are the equations on the wall near the sacred place, which are just an asset (not even made by Treyarch).

On the tablet, there is one letter D which is flipped and also some letters in the bottom layer are cut, which is odd.
However you have the impossible EE and so I don't want to underestimate anything in SoE.

The sacrifice tables also have references to Lovecraft lore"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dreams_in_the_Witch_House

A space between the walls is found filled with children's bones, a sacrificial knife and a bowl made of some metal which scientists are unable to identify. A strange stone-statuette of the star-headed "Elder Things" from Gilman's dreams is also discovered.

unknown.png

Perhaps the tablet is also a reference to something in Lovecraft as well. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RichKiller said:

The sacrifice tables also have references to Lovecraft lore"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dreams_in_the_Witch_House

A space between the walls is found filled with children's bones, a sacrificial knife and a bowl made of some metal which scientists are unable to identify. A strange stone-statuette of the star-headed "Elder Things" from Gilman's dreams is also discovered.

unknown.png

Perhaps the tablet is also a reference to something in Lovecraft as well. 

Oeh, I really like this! Strange metals perfectly ties with what the Reporter had to find in Siberia (presumably 115 from Tunguska). He also had to trace ancient artifacts in the Pacific (where ZnS/Pohnpei/Cthulu's lair is located), could this hint to these stone statuettes of the Cthulu-like heads on the altars? Maybe the Reporter made these altars, collecting the essential artifacts the Shadows crew needed to perform rituals to gain Gateworms, allowing the Apothicons to enter and assimilate this world.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the ingame prompt calls it the "Apothicon Rift Stone", and it disappears from each ritual table once the ritual is complete.
The Shadowman even specifically says: "You must place your hand upon the stone".
There is clearly some major significance to the stone and the text on it.
And like you say there are a lot of loose ends around SoE....

One other possibility is that it ties into the gravestones on Rev and the graves on GK.
Did we ever find out who was in the graves in the spawn of GK?
It's possible there is some paradox created by seeing the grave of someone you meet in the future in your own past.
Or by seeing your own grave 

I think there is some point about graves and timetravel they were trying to make.
I need to research paradox logic some more. 

6 hours ago, Rapt said:

I think the ingame prompt calls it the "Apothicon Rift Stone", and it disappears from each ritual table once the ritual is complete.

Pretty sure the Apothicon Rift stone is the PaP rift stone. The light rays go towards the red stone in the middle of the PaP disc. 
latest?cb=20160810024046

Also the tablet does not disappear. For example you can see it in this picture from the boss fight:
image.png

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Rapt said:

The Shadowman even specifically says: "You must place your hand upon the stone".

Hang on, is this tombstone on every ritual table in Shadows of Evil? I thought merely in the Pack-a-Punch room. 

@RichKiller Rapt said that they disappear after the rituals, though. I really like to check this, but man at the moment it is way to hot outside to crawl behind my Xbox.

Concerning the Trial graves in Gorod Krovi, one gains the achievement Viktorious Revenge upon completing all solo trials, which is an obvious reference to Viktor Reznov who fought at the Barmaley Fountain in WaW (also present in the spawnroom near the graves). Logically, four graves cannot hold merely one man, so the graves likely hold other people. I dont have the map GK, though, and Ive never done the trails. Isnt there a Samantha's Lullaby heard at the tombstones or something?

3 minutes ago, anonymous said:

Hang on, is this tombstone on every ritual table in Shadows of Evil? I thought merely in the Pack-a-Punch room. 

@RichKiller Rapt said that they disappear after the rituals, though. I really like to check this, but man at the moment it is way to hot outside to crawl behind my Xbox.

The tablet appears only in the PaP room. The tablet doesn't disappear after the ritual.

Yeah you're right about the tablet remaining etc, I was mistaken.
But I think it IS the Apothicon Rift Stone.
Because the Shadowman Quote is :"You must place your hand upon the stone".
And we do not place our hand on PaP...
We use the ritual table, which has a stone on it to begin the assimilation (PaP) ritual.
And the PaP ritual is what the Shadowman is trying to get you to do.

Imo it is very likely some kind of invocation that allows an entire dimension to be "assimilated" during the PaP ritual.

But imo I need to just sit down and work out the abbreviations, we can speculate all day but it's not much use. 
Hopefully we can work it out, I'll have another look at it soon. 

Just a last little tidbit about the graves you guys might find curious.
Funny how there are 4 gravestones hidden in the SoE PaP room....
Curious unaccounted for graves on every map could be important in a time travel story.
Paradoxes and whatnot... 
20200728003909_1.jpg

On 8/8/2020 at 5:33 AM, RichKiller said:

image.png

Ah yeah I see what you mean. 
It's possible the steps changed after the quotes were recorded?
"You must place your hand upon the stone" doesn't make too much sense in context of the ee idk.

I'll record video and add to this post in a min. 
There is a gravestone in each of the vertical metal support beams. There is one in each corner of the room.

Video is dark because I play rec.709 not sRGB and it didn't adjust for the video. 
But you can see the locations and the first ones are very clear.
They are easy to find/see ingame.

On 8/6/2020 at 8:35 PM, RichKiller said:

The tablet appears only in the PaP room. The tablet doesn't disappear after the ritual.

Btw I just checked. The tablet appears on all but one of the other ritual tables.
The ruby rabbit is the only one missing it.
It's probably significant seeing as the ruby rabbit has the ritual knife stabbed into some, flesh? Maybe a spleen? lol (bottom right image) 

20200810005833_1.jpg20200810010529_1.jpg20200810010834_1.jpg20200810011101_1.jpg

"The Ruby Rabbit, each of you knows this place... What does it mean to you?"
Seeing as it's the Cop ritual area
There are many other quotes that we never hear ingame as far as I can tell. They talk about reversing the rituals and stuff like that...
Pretty interesting.

19 hours ago, Rapt said:

Ah yeah I see what you mean. 
It's possible the steps changed after the quotes were recorded?
"You must place your hand upon the stone" doesn't make too much sense in context of the ee idk.

Possibly, a lot of the recorded quotes of the Shadowman do not appear in game as far as I'm aware.
Technically in the map you interact with the fire to get into the beast mode and not any stone, so perhaps the "Rocks and metals" from Siberia were switched with the fire, and then yet again perhaps the fire stand itself is the stone.

I tend to think that both references of the stone are to the Rift stone in the PaP room. If it would be "You must put your hand upon the stone" it would probably make more sense, because then "put your hand upon" would mean "reach". I personally feel like it's what they meant here. 

19 hours ago, Rapt said:

Btw I just checked. The tablet appears on all but one of the other ritual tables.
The ruby rabbit is the only one missing it.

20200810005833_1.jpg20200810010529_1.jpg20200810010834_1.jpg20200810011101_1.jpg

First time ever seeing those tablets, and I think I've looked for them on the tables. My apologizes. Did you notice if all the tablets say the same thing? If not this could be very interesting. 

19 hours ago, Rapt said:

There is a gravestone in each of the vertical metal support beams. There is one in each corner of the room.

That's also interesting. I very vaguely recall seeing those cross-style figures also outside of the PaP room too. It seems to be a part of the metal bridge that is holding the sacred place.
Would be great if you could check if there are any cross-style metals outside of the PaP room. 

It looks like the same tablet model on all the tables I think.
Damn that rift stone is clearly very significant!

Could be possible to translate now we have this: 

I'll start a new thread if I have time to have a crack at it.

44 minutes ago, Rapt said:

It looks like the same tablet model on all the tables I think.
Damn that rift stone is clearly very significant!

Could be possible to translate now we have this: 

I'll start a new thread if I have time to have a crack at it.

There is also the rift in Buried, which is very significant. Ultimis Richtofen's plan is to mend the rift, i.e close it. 
By the process of elimination, when Maxis wins, the rift remains open. 
The Buried rift is a very interesting topic. Is it another Apothicon Rift? Perhaps a Keeper rift? What are the implications of closing/leaving open the rift? 
This is the kind of things I wish were explored further. And considering they revisited the concept of a rift, I'm sure Treyarch had answers to these questions. 

• Moderators
On 8/17/2020 at 5:07 PM, RichKiller said:

The Buried rift is a very interesting topic. Is it another Apothicon Rift? Perhaps a Keeper rift? What are the implications of closing/leaving open the rift? 

Interesting the Buried Rift, as well as the Shadows of Evil portals, colour red. The skybox turns red in Shadows of Evil once we open the door for the World Devourer, just like when Maxis gains control in Buried.

Revelations spoilers:

I've always wondered why there can be distinguished a red and blue area in the skybox of Revelations, but I assumed one was Apothicon/Shadowman and one was Keeper/Monty. Thought blue was Apothicon due to the colour of the Apothicon Sun, but how can we explain the sky turning red once the Apothicon Beast enters Dimension 63?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, anonymous said:

Interesting the Buried Rift, as well as the Shadows of Evil portals, colour red. The skybox turns red in Shadows of Evil once we open the door for the World Devourer, just like when Maxis gains control in Buried.

Revelations spoilers:

I've always wondered why there can be distinguished a red and blue area in the skybox of Revelations, but I assumed one was Apothicon/Shadowman and one was Keeper/Monty. Thought blue was Apothicon due to the colour of the Apothicon Sun, but how can we explain the sky turning red once the Apothicon Beast enters Dimension 63?

I know your view on the Aether and Dark Aether are one and the same, but hear me out. We assume the red and blue lights are Monty and Shadowman / Keeper and Apothicon in conflict, but what if it was the Aether and Dark Aether in freeform due to Revelations existing outside the bounds of time and space. Red symbolizes Dark Aether, and Blue symbolizes Aether (or vice versa, I'll explain points for each in time). 

The Corruption Engines in Revelations can make or break this theory; they start out siphoning energy from the Apothicon Sun (or giving to it?) causing blue colored energy but after being "overridden" they emit red energy that centralizes at the Death Beams at Nacht. Or maybe these structures were already in Monty's perfect world and we are overriding them to make them the Corruption Engines? But the Corruption Engines are of Apothicon origins, so it wouldn't make sense for it to be in Monty's perfect world even if he was affected by the Dark Aether. 

If Aether was (represented by) blue and Dark Aether red, everything would make sense except for the Corruption Engines which would imply the opposite by their existence, causing a paradoxical situation.

If Aether was red and Dark Aether blue, we can dig a little deeper if we're willing to reach further than our grasp. The original color of 115 was red-orange; in every map up until Origins the only instances of 115 we have had are red-orange and three instances of purple used for the NAV Tables. At this point our only instance of Dark Aether was from the MPD, which was of Apothicon origins to begin with, and Dr. Maxis' corruption at the end of Buried after winning the Endgame. Now in another theory I had on the 115 discussion page, red 115 is less potent in exchange for being "more stable". This would suffice with the Aether which tries to keep its form and conform to sustaining itself, as opposed to Dark Aether which is known for quite the opposite. Now in my same theory, blue 115 is far more unstable and far more potent, which is exactly what defines the Apothicons in every sense of the word. It would fit with everything except for the idea that the skies in Shadows and Maxis' Endgame in Buried turn red from Dark Aether overtaking the dimension, but that is just as implausible as basically everything else I've written above.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, clueless said:

If Aether was (represented by) blue and Dark Aether red, everything would make sense except for the Corruption Engines which would imply the opposite by their existence, causing a paradoxical situation

Notice the different kind of teleporting if you compare Shadows of Evil/Revelations portals with the purple-ish MTD. GKNova6 said that Hell is Purple so I assume the blue/purple thing is Apothicon, espessially if you think about how Fluffy became demonic upon teleporting through the MTD, Hellhounds and Jumping Jacks spawn in via purple flashes, etc.

Also, the Shadows of Evil portals feature the same Cthulu-like statues as can be seen in the map's undercroft, which was clearly a Keeper hideout...so Keeper portals then? The reason the Cthulu statues are here and also on the Revelations corruption engines is, perhaps, because the Keepers may used to perceive the Elder Gods as deities. They do not refer to them as 'Gods' for no reason. Ever since the Elder Gods started corrupting the Keepers, they started to view them as enemies but their appearance might still be included in old Keeperese statues, machines, etc

(BTW perhaps we should move this discussion to another thread. We can collect evidence but not here. Do you know a proper thread where we can continue this talk?)

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, anonymous said:

(BTW perhaps we should move this discussion to another thread. We can collect evidence but not here. Do you know a proper thread where we can continue this talk?)

Just moved everything over to there and added a small extra theory I had this morning!

• Moderators
20 hours ago, anonymous said:

how can we explain the sky turning red once the Apothicon Beast enters Dimension 63?

I just had a (heh) revelation. Air pollution in the right circumstances can change the color of the atmosphere, such as haze and certain molecules that scatter red light more than others. Apothicon pods alone give off emissions, and many Apothicons have an excessive amount of holes that can be assumed are for breathing or a similar function. Is it possible they emit these polluting red-light scattering molecules, and such a giant creature is giving off so much that it almost instantly turns the sky red?

Archived