What are Your Opinions on Training?

Hi everyone, sorry if I’m using the forums wrong, I’m still new here.  

Was wondering what people’s thoughts on training generally are?  I mainly play bo1, so maybe it’s different in the newer games.  But whenever I play zombies I’ll usually have a blast just camping or running and gunning up until around the mid 20s to early 30s, but after that it seems like training becomes the only viable strategy because of the bullet sponge zombies.  

Personally I just don’t find training that much fun, and I was curious whether that’s an unpopular opinion or not?  

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry about that, it's nice to see some new blood around here.

On training, I think it's the most effective strategy in Zombies, issue is - rightly as you say - it takes the fun out of it. Once you get your head round the Zombie A.I of the particular game you're playing, you can just train indefinitely.

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, caljitsu said:

On training, I think it's the most effective strategy in Zombies, issue is - rightly as you say - it takes the fun out of it.

Entirely agree with this. If you truly wanna go high rounds, I'd do training but otherwise I do the same as you @Luke Nolin, camping, run 'n gun and spray 'n pray :)

Concerning Black Ops I, I think Superhands shared his most effective strategies here in my opinion. Espessially usefull for the maps with narrow areas such as Nacht, Verrückt and Shangri-La. 

I barely touched BO4 and I'm still not that good in BO3. The zombies in BO1 and BO2 need a short time to turn to you. If you walk right and suddenly go left of a narrow path, it takes like half a second before they turn left as well. I mostly use this trait in the form of a diversion movement. Also very usefull when I set up a personal challenge such as the 'first room challenge', 'first box challenge' and 'no juggernog challenge'.

Anyway, welcome to the Forums buddy! Neat to see another Black Ops I player here. Are you mostly trying new strategies every time or do you have the same set-up most matches? And what's your favourite map?

2 hours ago, caljitsu said:

Don't worry about that, it's nice to see some new blood around here.

On training, I think it's the most effective strategy in Zombies, issue is - rightly as you say - it takes the fun out of it. Once you get your head round the Zombie A.I of the particular game you're playing, you can just train indefinitely.

I see.  Nice to know I’m not the only one that feels that way.  

@anonymous Thanks for the reply, I’ll definitely check out those strategies.  

For most maps I don’t really have one set strategy, I think it’s fun to change things up once it feels like I’ve mastered a map.  For my favourite one, it’s hard to say since I haven’t quite familiarized myself with all of them yet, but I’ve been having a lot of fun on Call of the Dead and Shangri-La lately.    

It’s also cool to hear there are other people playing Black Ops 1 zombies.  I wasn’t sure if it was a dead game or not.  

• Moderators

Training really was the goto mechanic back in the old days and games. These days in BO IV and a lot in BO III as well it is camping. It feels like they never really nailed a middle ground for a whole game, which bothers me. Everyone has a different taste, but with the zombies games it is for the most part either this or that.

Me personally I love training, cause I feel like it is more challenging than camping with a rocket launcher (BO4) or an overpowered gun (Ice Staff Lightning bow) of course there are always exceptions to the rule, but all in all, I think when you only run a train infront of the lighthouse in call of the dead for instance, then I can see why a lot of people say it is boring and what not, but you have to push yourself out of your comfortzone as well from time to time and try some new rooms/areas, maybe then you will view the trainings mechanic a bit differently.

But I am biased as hell.

Also hope my words made sense, my brain is melting.

Regardless: Welcome to the site @Luke Nolin I hope you will have a good time on here, however the duration of your stay will be on here. :)

• Moderators

@Lenne Man remember Town? The ultimate manifestation of training!

@Luke Nolin Interesting, CotD and Shangri-La are very different kind of maps, in my opinion. One being very wide and open, yet dark, the other one narrow and maze-like, yet very bright and colourfull. Cool choices! I'm really fund on Shangri-La as well due to it's difficulty and basicness. Also love the old Black Ops I wonderweapons, with each their unique power. You've recently started playing Zombies or did you had the game for some time already?

@anonymous Ya, Shangri-La is cool, I enjoy the challenge.  And on CotD I find George Romero is a really cool gimmick that makes the map feel very unique, to me at least.  I’ve had the game for a while, but only would ever do the occasional game on Kino with some friends.  Then I thought I’d play Five just to try something new.  Really enjoyed it so I decided to get all the DLC maps once I felt like I had Five mastered.  Been working my way through those since.  Definitely having a lot of fun with Zombies so far.  

@Lenne I see, thanks for the reply.  I guess that’s fair, and I definitely can see the appeal of training since it’s probably objectively the best strategy and I’m sure it does take some skill to get to high rounds with it.  

But personally I just don’t find dodging zombies fun when I can’t also shoot them.  And training kinda makes it feels like I’m just abusing the games A.I.  I guess my main issue is that when I play a game about killing zombies, it feels kinda lame to just be running away from them (some running away is fun, just not when it’s all I’m doing).  But who knows, maybe if I tried challenging myself more with training, like you said, I’d start to have fun with it.  

I’m with you though, a game where multiple strategies are viable for high rounds would be the best.  

Training is how you live for a long period of time and how you lose quicker. 

In certain times training is a necessity but others will camp at certain rounds if they have the right materials. Other people will use glitches. But neither of those can be fun. Training is the funnest and safest way (whilst not cheating).

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Jonah Whittle said:

In certain times training is a necessity but others will camp at certain rounds if they have the right materials. Other people will use glitches. But neither of those can be fun. Training is the funnest and safest way (whilst not cheating).

Agree with this, though sometimes, camping can be fun. Take Buried as an example, where it can quite enjoyful to build all the traps and set them in the Juggernog alley, after which you will camp with all of your teammates. However, it is always fun to take a risk and run out of the alley. On top of that, camping can not last forever: At some moment the undead will be too numerous and strong. Training, on the other hand, can go on forever (in theory)

Hi new guy.

I loved training when it was the new thing back in SNN.

In BO3, it got a little forced, and in BO4, it killed the game entirely (52% on xb gave BO4 1 star).

Camping is fun, training got really, really old and unfun by BO4.

To this day, every zombie player that I speak with irl misses 4 man camping in the old WaW maps. Nobody says "running around alone is so awesome". Ha.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, 83457 said:

Hi new guy.

I loved training when it was the new thing back in SNN.

In BO3, it got a little forced, and in BO4, it killed the game entirely (52% on xb gave BO4 1 star).

Camping is fun, training got really, really old and unfun by BO4.

To this day, every zombie player that I speak with irl misses 4 man camping in the old WaW maps. Nobody says "running around alone is so awesome". Ha.

Heya, always nice to see you check in. ❤️

But have we played the same game with BO4? Pretty much every single viable high round strategy involves heavy camping. Same with BO3.

Especially in BO4, cause some round after 55 the zombies run even just as fast if not even faster than you, haven't gone for such a high round in a hot minute, so that is why I am unsure.

Camping also is way faster to get to round 100 to with. Quite frankly it bores me to death, shooting a rocket launcher at my feet every few seconds, I don't see how that can be considered more fun, than actually moving around and putting yourself at least in a bit of danger.

@83457

I see.  Not really familiar with bo3, 4, or 2, but even in the older games I also have a lot more fun camping or randomly running and gunning.  Getting together with your team and holding downing an area is just so intense and fun, even if it is obviously impossible to get to high rounds.  Nice to hear there’s other people that agree.  

Training can be fun occasionally, but it’s just not what I wanna spend most of my time doing. Actually killing the zombies yourself is way more fun in my opinion, even if you’ll never get as far.  

On 4/29/2020 at 3:17 AM, Lenne said:

Heya, always nice to see you check in. ❤️

But have we played the same game with BO4? Pretty much every single viable high round strategy involves heavy camping. Same with BO3.

Especially in BO4, cause some round after 55 the zombies run even just as fast if not even faster than you, haven't gone for such a high round in a hot minute, so that is why I am unsure.

Camping also is way faster to get to round 100 to with. Quite frankly it bores me to death, shooting a rocket launcher at my feet every few seconds, I don't see how that can be considered more fun, than actually moving around and putting yourself at least in a bit of danger.

Some good points, so let me clarify. Also hey!

BO4 late camping may be a thing, but solo early is just zombies appearing from load spots right behind you (and everwhere else). Sans dlc, the base game was "run, then run more". I tried camping and posted on a few when this was new. But I've never done late game in BO4 because I (like most) despise BO4 zombies. Even getting to 40 just felt annoyimg, not fun.

As for camping in general, I lost all desire to play past like 45 in most zombies because it becomes tedium: "shoot rocket at feet" and such. Or just take 30+ minutes to end a round of mindless repetition.

So when I say camping is more fun, I meant "in my opinion, for fun, I'd rather camp for 30+ rounds in one spot trying to hold my ground, rather than make round 70+ by running in the same circle".

'Each to their own' is a fair way to describe this here with decent players, but most players (who are never on a forum) just try to camp and die before r15 more than they try to run for 30+ rounds, from what I've seen.

So I'm unfamiliar with high round bo4, but in waw, bo, bo2, and bo3, I've always seen running as the high round strategy...but I'm not that good.

Obviously some maps/WWs lend to running, some to camping.

Text always seems so judgemental and final. I just meant to express my opinion and the players I've seen.

Happy gaming all. I loved training when new, I got sick of it by bo3. Everyone else's opinions are just as valid...unless bo1 is your favorite zombies, then your opinion is just wrong! Mwuhahahaha!

Archived