Stories from the Aether: The Der Riese Stand-Off Part 1

ProjectKMR

November 6th 1945:

With the official statement being released from Dr. Schuster himself that Group 935 has come to an end, it is time that I report my findings to the OSS immediately. The things I've seen, the things we've done, it's a marvel in technological advancements that could very-well help turn the tides of a conflict I foresee arising between the US and Soviet Union. I will forever stand with the states, but I fear that someone will do the same as I am planning considering many Russians were a part of Group 935 completely unaware of Dr. Maxis' deal with the Nazi Party. Call it a hunch, but I firmly believe Cornelius Pernell will be of great importance as far as getting a task-force authorized to move in on Der Riese and snag what little research is left after the outbreak. Rumors are that Richtofen himself visited the site soon after the outbreak occurred, but I'm not entirely sure how accurate that is. Nobody had heard from him for quite awhile before anything serious ever went down. With the information released by Schuster in his report, he said that within 935 was a division Richtofen ran called 601 that opposed Maxis' decisions of Nazi Party association. Who woulda known a secret division existed within an already top-secret research group? Clearly not me considering I was never aware of 601, but 601 is to be kept secret by all former members, regardless of who we align with. I will stick to this promise, but my overwhelming loyalty lies with none other than the US and if push comes to shove, 601's research will not remain secretive, especially with all that has been revealed through this document of resignation. According to Schuster, they established a station on the god-damn moon of all places for Richtofen's own private research. Only the elite of 601 even had a lick of knowledge as to what it was about. Something about Vril-Ya technology and the gate-way to unlimited power? Considering the things I've seen with my time in 935, I must admit that this doesn't sound entirely fiction to me. Regardless, I will report this to the OSS. They'll have a field day with the research we've unearthed through 115, I'll surely be promoted to some kind of high position of authority with whatever they find themselves doing with it. Because of the respect I have for the man, I will leave out his crimes in my report. In times of war, you do as you're told and nothing but. Otherwise, you become a victim yourself.

To all Group 935 and 601 members; this is Doctor Reinhard Schuster, and I am here to address to you the information that I never, ever wished to be on the end of giving out. As of today, November 5th 1945, all functions of Group 935 and Division Group 601 will have come to an end with the loss of the primary Der Riese facility to our experiments. You are to leave your posts and return home to your families that Dr. Maxis once said you must keep in the dark. Our secrets, will no longer remain secrets. I wholeheartedly expect you to report our activities to your governments, but just be aware that I am not to be held accountable for any rule breaking from this so-called "Geneva Convention" rumored to be in development with the assistance of over 196 countries. This however is not an attempt to keep me from atoning to my own crimes against humanity that I've committed as an active member of both 935 and 601. Every night the faces of every P.O.W I executed on Griffin Station haunt me. The terrible looks of fear on their faces before I personally gunned them down to power the machine Dr. Richtofen was researching... It truly is an act of terror that I have committed that I shall never forget. As some may know who are part of 601, I am the sole survivor of the Griffin Station Outbreak. I bare knowledge too cursed for one to keep record of, that is why I will vehemently ask that those of you who were part of 601 to not reveal at least that to your governments. The powers we sought to unravel on the Moon-Base are far too great for us. We weren't meant to uphold it. To all the Group 935 members who are likely scratching your heads at the mention of 601, allow me to fill you in. Group 601 is a fragment of 935 that Dr. Edward Richtofen himself founded along with myself and Dr. Friedrich Groph in an effort to distance himself from Dr. Maxis' increasingly Nazi-Controlled 935. As you all should know, the Nazis threatened to cut funding for 935's research without the full alignment to the Nazis. Richtofen considered this unacceptable and created 601 in hopes to stay true to Group 935's original motto; "To Improve the Human Condition." I will say that Richtofen had noble intentions, that would later become clouded by the power he sought through the M.P.D Project on Griffin Station... It's truly a shame, but alas. One cannot change history, and you're a fool if you try. With this all being said, I hope you can create a better tomorrow by letting your governments know of what we did as scientists together. 115 in the right hands will lead to a human revolution in technology and lead us towards a utopia. With this being said, I'm Dr. Schuster, and this is likely the last time I will ever address all of you together, collectively. Thank you for your time, and I hope this letter gets received in a timely fashion for you all.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I like it, though I must say something about Schuster. In the Moon radios, it appears to have been Groph who was the one executing the POWs at Griffin Station. Surely Schuster could've been his assistent in that, but in the many radios we got from Schuster (in Der Riese, Moon and Classified), he seems to be a scientist driving by morality. A good guy, so to say. In Classified, he even firmly opposed to Dr. Layman for killing one soldier, let alone killing dozens for charging the MPD. So I assume it wasn't him who was involved in the 'Griffin Station Massacre'.

13 hours ago, ProjectKMR said:

I will say that Richtofen had noble intentions, that would later become clouded by the power he sought through the M.P.D Project

I'm also not quite sure if he looked at Richtofen like this. Even while Richtofen had done acts filled with terror, I think Schuster still wanted to see him as a friend. Or perhaps he didn't want to see the gruesome things his pal had done. I feel like Richtofen is and remains his best friend and ally within Group 935.

Just me being Schuster's advocate, I guess.

Anyway, good read!

• 2 months later...

Archived