Time loops

CallmeMax

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

A timeloop works by cycling the person inside the loop back through the same events over and over again. 

As for how the timeloop came to be, it depends on which time loop you're talking about. The Mob of the Dead timeloop was created by the Shadowman and the Warden. The overall cycle of WaW-BO3 was created by Monty/the Keepers. The Shangri-La cycle seems to be the accidental application of Keeper technology but that one is up for debate. 

• Moderators

In most cases because it suits the agenda of whoever is creating the cycle. In Mob of the Dead, the Shadowman created that time loop because he had to use the souls of the Mob crew and keep them in the cycle to set the trap for Richtofen in Blood of the Dead. The radios in Blood of the Dead explain this. In the WaW-BO3 cycle, I don't know exactly why Monty wanted them trapped in the cycle but I think it was to keep them busy and prevent them from disobeying his plan

• Moderators
1 minute ago, CallmeMax said:

In the timeloops like one in the mob of the dead, the characters remember what has happened in the previous loop? Or they just forget all the things?

The Weasel writes things down in each loop so that he can remember a few things (See the MotD loading screen and all the writing on the walls) but for the most part they forget. Primis and Ultimis also tend to forget the cycle, which makes it easier for them to keep repeating the same events.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, KronoriumExcerptB said:

The Weasel writes things down in each loop so that he can remember a few things (See the MotD loading screen and all the writing on the walls) but for the most part they forget. Primis and Ultimis also tend to forget the cycle, which makes it easier for them to keep repeating the same events.

Good explanation here! Also dont forget Nikolai's quote in the Giant that he "killed so many Richtofen's now". They seem to be aware of the loop. I'm not sure if Brock and Gary in the Shangri La Paradox are aware of the loop they are stuck in. As the Alcatraz Paradox is artificially created by the Warden and Shadowman involving a buch of Satanic rituals, perhaps the one in charge of the loop can chose whether or not the characters stuck in it remember or not?

We also see a Timeloop in the Die Rise intro, showing us that every time we die, every game that is played, the characters are 'revived' by a higher force, a.k.a. the universe is "rewinded" to a particular point (the player's spawn). Doing this, the characters seem to remember tiny things from the other time they were there, whilst it actually never happened (yet) in that particular universe. (Think about Dempsey's "it's all deja vu over again" or Stuhlinger's "have we been here before?")

Also @CallmeMax, welcome to the Forums friendo! Don't hestitate to ask more questions, start discussions or create your own thread about a theory or strategy you have. Or if you just like to have a neat smalltalk. Glad you've found us!

• Moderators
Just now, CallmeMax said:

So the example of a time loop, is when i play a map like shangri-la and then i die, some forces revive me so i can play another game, right? Does that how the loop work?

Well, all of Zombies is one big loop. From Nacht until Revelations it's a loop, if you look at the Zombies timeline it is physically constructed like a giant loop. Every game is canon because they're all just different iterations of the loop.  

In Shangri-la the loop I was referencing is what happened to Brock and Gary, where they end up repeating the same events over and over again as they try to find Agartha. But as the playable Ultimis crew, Shang is part of the loop, but in a less direct way. The entire loop from Nacht to Revelations just repeats until it gets to Shangri-La again.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, CallmeMax said:

If i want to play all the COD zombies map, and do all the easter eggs, in which order should i start? Sorry for my terrible english,if you cant understand just ask me, i will try to explain...

The best order is the order in which they released, except push Mob of the Dead after Origins. Not all of these maps actually have easter eggs but this is the order.

Nacht Der Untoten

Verruckt

Shi No Numa

Der Riese

Kino Der Toten

Five

Ascension

Call of the Dead

Shangri-La

Moon

TranZit

Die Rise

Buried

Origins

Mob of the Dead

Shadows of Evil

The Giant

Der Eisendrache

Zetsubou No Shima

Gorod Krovi

Revelations

Blood of the Dead

Classified

Alpha Omega

Tag Der Toten

Ive checked it, and its in this order:

Nacht

Verruct

Der Riese

Shangri-la

Kino 

Ascension/five ( they have happened at the same day)

CODT

Moon/Nuketown (they have happened at the same day either)

Tranzit

Die rise

buried

Origins

SOE

The giant

ZNS

Der Eisendrache  

Gorod krovi

Revelations

• Moderators
Just now, CallmeMax said:

Ive checked it, and its in this order:

Nacht

Verruct

Der Riese

Shangri-la

Kino 

Ascension/five ( they have happened at the same day)

CODT

Moon/Nuketown (they have happened at the same day either)

Tranzit

Die rise

buried

Origins

SOE

The giant

ZNS

Der Eisendrache  

Gorod krovi

Revelations

Ok, I see the confusion. If you go by the exact timeline then this would be the order. But that's not the best way to play it in my opinion. The characters travel through time very often. So Shangri-La happens right after Call of the Dead from our perspective but is in the 50s and Call of the Dead is in 2011. I still think you should play Shangri-La after call of the dead though, as it makes much more sense that way.

The best way to play it in my opinion is to do it in the order of the characters, which is the order I listed. The order of the timeline is the order that the outside world would see, and while that is a perspective it's not really an important one in Zombies due to how isolated the maps generally are from the real world.

• Moderators

Every game you play: Within the greater loop that keps happening over anod over again, like Kronorium said. But also because some maps have a cycle within their own map: In Tranzit for example, when you die, Richtofen goes back in time because he exists in the timeless dimesion of the Aether (for him is time travelling probably like walking a couple of meters, but in a way we cannot comprehend). 

The story itself has alot oftie jumps both back and forward in time. It is recommended to play the story in the order Kronorium just said, because that is the order the characters experience it. 

Ultimis and Primis are different versions of the same humans but in other dimensions. Parralel versions of each other. What is interesting, is that they are connected by one soul.

Are you new to Zombies mode? Have you already played a map?

2 hours ago, anonymous said:

Every game you play: Within the greater loop that keps happening over anod over again, like Kronorium said. But also because some maps have a cycle within their own map: In Tranzit for example, when you die, Richtofen goes back in time because he exists in the timeless dimesion of the Aether (for him is time travelling probably like walking a couple of meters, but in a way we cannot comprehend). 

The story itself has alot oftie jumps both back and forward in time. It is recommended to play the story in the order Kronorium just said, because that is the order the characters experience it. 

Ultimis and Primis are different versions of the same humans but in other dimensions. Parralel versions of each other. What is interesting, is that they are connected by one soul.

Are you new to Zombies mode? Have you already played a map?

Im not new to zombies.Ive played COD zombies for about 4 years or so.... Im just discovering the zombies storyline...

20 hours ago, CallmeMax said:

Im not new to zombies.Ive played COD zombies for about 4 years or so.... Im just discovering the zombies storyline...

Hello Max and welcome the forum. I hope you have fun exploring the one of the most interesting stories of all time. I remember the time that I realized zombies actually had a storyline and exploring it was a completely magical experience. Hopefully you will feel the same way. Cheers !

6 hours ago, habazabaza said:

Hello Max and welcome the forum. I hope you have fun exploring the one of the most interesting stories of all time. I remember the time that I realized zombies actually had a storyline and exploring it was a completely magical experience. Hopefully you will feel the same way. Cheers !

Actually, can you explain a little bit of a zombies storyline? Watching youtube videos don't change anything, im still "green" in all this stuff... :( 

I know a bit about the beginning, keepers , corupted and all this... But i do not how samantha was trapped in the agartha, was it after freeing her from the MPD?

• Moderators
5 hours ago, CallmeMax said:

Actually, can you explain a little bit of a zombies storyline? Watching youtube videos don't change anything, im still "green" in all this stuff... :( 

I know a bit about the beginning, keepers , corupted and all this... But i do not how samantha was trapped in the agartha, was it after freeing her from the MPD?

Directly after Maxis gains control in Buried, he travels back to the moment on Moon where Sam had just exited the MPD, and took her soul to Agartha. 

Personally, I learned about the story bit by bit while scrolling through this site. The categories 'Research and Development' and 'Story Discussion' include all kinds of talk and theorizing about the story, and the absolute gems are located in the Asylum category, our tressurebox. But also dont hestitate to look under the category 'Treyarch' and select any map you'd like, to find threads talking in-depth about both story and strategy of those maps

17 hours ago, CallmeMax said:

I strongly suggest taking a look at @RadZakpak's Zombies Storyline Book which can be found at:https://docs.google.com/document/d/119PjSqvTF3pVxpt7SW2YC9AXeOYYVObOCDe-zwwqfL0/edit?usp=drivesdk

It is really enjoyable to read and at the same time extremely understandable for a story of that kind. Also, as anonymous mentioned above, huge portion of zombies storyline knowledge comes from engaging in conversation with other people. Have fun exploring!

Archived