Serious Question: What is this site, What is it to you? (Personal/Professional)

Coming back after a long hiatus from heavier gaming I've been struggling with how to proceed on this site.  Honestly I've been having difficulties with the entire gaming community (micro-transactions, rushed games, Blizzard...) but that's another subject.  In the past I greatly enjoyed making content here. Hopefully it added to a universe created by passionate people that were only doing this everyday because of love and spreading enjoyment.  I really had a good time in the glory days of Black Ops 2, endless nights making friends and supporting each other.  The amount of content (both a blessing and curse) that was generated and analyzed was staggering.

Now we're at the present.  I always feel reinvigorated by older games I've loved (a great personality trait I'm happy to have).  But, just playing still leaves a vacant itch that just doesn't get satisfied.  I realized I still needed the lore, the Easter Egg's, the deep friendship from accomplishing goals together.  Seeing several communities still existing for all levels of zombies makes me believe this is something that will last my lifetime by a lot of diehard people (there's just too much population and everyday someone new can be introduced). 

So, I find myself back on Codz.  It's not what I remember.  I don't think any one thing or even this site is to blame.  I bring into question all of the past decade and what's shaped this community.  Youtube fame, EE glory, Corporate control, brand revamps, there's just so much that's happened to so many different areas.

Over the past month I've gone to post or message or interact in some way with this site but I keep finding myself stopping for one reason or another.  I keep trying to place the blame to some external factor but realized it might just be internal so I thought I would open the question up to the community that I once so fondly admired.  What is this site?  Is it a wiki or more just discussion?  Community collaboration?  Promotional site?  Content creation? etc... 

I guess I know how I want to interact with the zombie community, but right now it's extremely difficult with how things are here and I'm unsure if this is even the place to pursue that.  Personally, seeing some of you guys around still and new players still joining has made me extremely happy.  You guys are some of the most amazing and compassionate people I have known and wish I could surround myself more with people like you.  So to that end, I'll always be lurking and even seeing some of the quirky posts you guys do in the off topic, no matter what this place is.

• Moderators

This is a lovely question that I'd like to see some other regulars answer as well.

I was in a similar position to you a few years ago, not being really sure what this site was or how to interact with its members. It always seemed very tight-knit, and I felt like I would be an outsider that could not contribute anything. Only after being invited by InfestLithium did I come to appreciate this place. It's smaller than other communities like Youtube and Reddit, but the people here are genuine and unique in their own ways. I've always been a story-focused person when it came to Zombies, and this place is a haven for finding and sharing ideas about the storyline. You've got some very knowledgeable people here that can educate you when you are wrong, and expand upon your ideas when they are leading somewhere. CoDz to me serves as a place when the storyline is developed before your eyes, by everyday people.

No one can blame you for being skeptical, but this place is incredibly welcoming and populated by some great people. Pop in anytime in any threads you see posted, and if you are interested, we also now have a Discord with some pretty regular discussion where you can get to know many people around here, old and new. Despite the declining popularity of Zombies, this place still lives on for a reason.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KeredNomrah69 said:

I keep trying to place the blame to some external factor but realized it might just be internal

And you don't have to feel bad about that. I mean, so many have been there. Life just moves on and things do not always remain the same. But hey, one thing is certain: Once a zombie slayer, always a zombie slayer :p No micro-transactions, annoying kids or Margwas can come between that :p

As for what this place means for me personally, its odd actually, as it is just online, but CoDZ and it's members really have a special place in my heart. Probably due to its relatively small size and in general positive atmosphere it feels like a true family to me, and I could totally see that it might be difficult for lesser active people just because of that. 

While talking mostly about zombies related matters, I still feel like I know many members personally and can scetch their character in real life. I would actually love it to be more active in off topic threads and meet members in discussions there, just to talk about real life and personal matters, unrelated to the undead slaughter. 

I've joined this place in 2016 and I can say that it has been a hella of a journey. Never assumed posting a simple thread about Tranzit got me into getting acquinted with so many people internationally, all connected via Zombies. Spending hours in reading and writing theories, browsing internet for finding real life history/mythology connections, watching videoclips with zombies gameplay material, having deep discussions on the site and Discord. Man it truly is my main guilty plessure and I'm still very fond on it.

If you still feel interested to discuss the lore, play matches with people you are (or get) familiar at or just would like to have a talk, I'd also recommend the Discord. There is quite some chatter in there, both zombies-  and everyday talk. People know each other, but everyone is open to anyone in my opinion. From the Tranzit thread I would consider you to be a very determined, skillfull and friendly person with quite some (old skool) zombies experience, and I am quite sure you'd feel allright here. Active member, long-time lurker, it doesn't matter in the end. As long as you enjoy your time!

what this site is to me personally? well... it's just a place I use to find help in case of issues in Zombies, learn new things about optimal strategies, and also possibly to find out the world records for CoD Black Ops Zombies on Android. (kinda forgot to play for a while so I'm not even past round 100 for Call of the Dead.)

It is for discussion mainly but also has a bit of everything, while not being fully utilized. That is how I would put it.

For me personally this site is like a second home I can go to, whenever life is a bit too much, then I just read what the folks are posting, or I participate myself. Of course it isn't what it used to be in terms of activity, but I will always think fondly of this place.

I'd even argue the quality of the posts has increased compared to 8 years ago. 

But truth be told it is a bummer some of you (I am just going to assume you are not the only one @KeredNomrah69) feel like this site suffers from an identity crisis. That might even be the case, but I personally don't view it as that.

Thank you though, for checking in and no matter how long you will stay this time, I hope it will be an enjoyable stay for you. 

This site is a wellspring of positivity and acceptance. This site is... family. Y’know?

It’s really hard to apply words to it all.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, The Meh said:

This site is a wellspring of positivity and acceptance. This site is... family. Y’know?

It’s really hard to apply words to it all.

Exactly, my opinion as well