Now that BO4 is done, rate the maps from favourite to least

Also maybe add some comments as to why it's placed where it is. I'll start:

1) Tag Der Toten

Just a perfectly rounded map, for me. It's got everything and fixed my major gripes with COTD, which were the George boss character and the lack of means of getting to proper high rounds. Also the added mountaintop facility really adds to the map.

2) Dead of The Night

Nice layout, great atmosphere and the wonderweapon is kinda fun. Also really liked the characters, certainly much more than Chaos. The whole setup is slightly lengthy but I was attempting round 100 on this map during the bluescreen era and had 10 attempts at it, and I never once found the setup tedious. Plus, I'm into the whole werewolves and vampires thing - fun fact, there was a game on the Sega Genesis called Zombies Ate My Neighbours which is what got me into zombies stuff (plus werewolves, vampires, mummies etc) when I was a kid, which is where my username comes from!

3) Classified

FIVE was in my top 3 of all time anyway, not too much changed with this map. Probably would have been #2 if the Pentagon Thief was still in.

4) Ancient Evil

Really enjoyed this map. Good layout, nice aesthetic, fun wonderweapons. If the setup was less long I might have placed it above Classified, but it got a bit tedious to set up at times.

5) IX

Also really enjoyed this map, nice and simple much like the old maps from BO1 and W@W which I like. Nothing standout though which is why it's only #5.

6) Blood of The Dead

My only gripe with this map is that it's too damn big. Mob didn't really need expanding. I loved the atmosphere and the aesthetic, probably one of the best zombies maps ever in that respect. Shame the wonderweapons kinda suck too, the Magmagat was a great weapon to start with but got nerfed heavily.

7) Alpha Omega

Just missed the mark, for me. I was looking forward to a Nuketown remake for the longest time and for me, they just messed it up. The atmosphere and aesthetic was horrible, the underground area was mostly just a rehash of what we've seen in Blackout. The Ray Gun MKIIs were a letdown as well. Didn't really enjoy it.

8) Voyage

Same issue as with Blood for me, it's just too damn big, but at least Blood has other redeeming features. Voyage is also very complicated in layout and the setup is tedious. It's just boring as well, very little atmosphere.

With all the above said, I didn't hate any of these maps, even the last couple. I just found them a bit meh. Also you'll notice it's all from a pure gameplay perspective as I don't really bother with EEs and all that stuff.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

1. Tag der Toten

I don't know what it is, and maybe it won't stay this high up but it's just a lot of fun to me. I like the layout, the mechanics, the little mini-quests. I think it's an absolutely beautiful map and a sendoff to Aether.

2. IX

Maybe a bit overrated but damn it IX is just that good. The crowd mechanic and the whole spawn area is just so fun and unique and everything is just fantastic. I have no complaints.

3. Classified

Taking one of my favorite maps ever and actually managing to nail it. Classic Zombies feel with oodles of charm.

4. Ancient Evil

The atmosphere and aesthetic of the map is a whole other level, and a great cliffhanger for the Chaos story, which I hope is resolved. The gauntlets are fantastic and simple enough to acquire.

5. Alpha Omega

Ultimis and Primis together elevates this map more than it should. But I love the layout and the new additions. The continuation of the Cold War aesthetic from Classified and Rushmore add so much charm here. Camp Edward is so, so camp and I love it. Big gripe for me though is the frustration with some of the tightness of the map and the new crawler types.

6. Dead of the Night

This map gets a bad rap where it is undeserved. Its major flaw is the long setup and amount of parts for everything, which is completely understandable, however I think it has aged well. I still like it very much and hope it gets more appreciation in the future.

7. Voyage of Despair

I don't hate this map like many do, now that I know the layout by heart, but man is it hard to learn and not very intuitive. Other than that, I don't really have many complaints and it can be a lot of fun.

8. Blood of the Dead

Weakest map by far and one of the biggest disappointments. Everything in the story department is perfection, but in terms of map design it is a shadow of Mob's greatness and actively makes what it borrows worse.

• Moderators

1. Alpha Omega- probably my favorite map ever. 8 characters is a blessing, and they're all well written and well done. The atmosphere of the map is perfectly done. On the surface, everything is great and a classic American suburb. And underneath, some really dark shit happens. This is exemplified by the round change music, which starts as upbeat 60s jazz and then goes into some weird radio sounds and ends on a dark note. Gameplay wise, the Ray Gun quests generally aren't too annoying, and I actually like the added challenge of the Novas. There's also some great side quests like the round 200 side quest. The story of the map and how it is conveyed through radios and wall text is also done very well. I could go on about this map forever.  

2. Ancient Evil- This map is also definitely up there for me. I'm not nearly as into the Chaos story, but the atmosphere of the map is very well done. The environment of Delphi is something truly unique for Zombies and feels very new. The gameplay of the map is good, the challenge system feels new although it's been done many times before. The EE is fun outside of one annoying step, And the boss fight is brilliant.

3. Classified- This map is just a joy. The triumphant return of Ultimis, back and better than ever. It's a very simple, BO1 style map which I like. The music and atmosphere are very good. There's lots of awesome story info. Although there's not much to do this map is just great.

4. Tag Der Toten- This is another great story map, like all aether maps in BO4, the radios are rich and full of so many answers to long time lore questions. This is Victis at their best, I actually like them in this map which I never have before. Gameplay wise it's good, not great. It does have quite a lot of shit to do in order to play which is something I'm annoyed by, but it doesn't drag things down as much as some other maps. The skybox is probably the best I've ever seen, that beautiful Sun coming in takes it so far above CotD, which I liked but was mostly grey and blue. Like in Alpha Omega, the added areas are well taken advantage of, with pretty much every new area having some interesting lore. The facility is one of my favorite locations in a while. Overall this is another really good map.

5- Blood of the Dead- This is a good not great map to me. There is map flow and layout issues, but I do find it funny how quickly the community's tastes on that have evolved. The map flow is really no worse than MotD's, with only the Docks not accessible by a quick and easy fast travel (gondola doesn't count). The story of the map is really good, the radios aren't as chock full as the rest of the Aether maps, but still have some great nuggets. The way the story shines is with Richtofen's journey in the map, and his conversations with Stuhlinger really help make his tragic sacrifice even more tragic. I do like the gameplay but it's not anything extraordinary, the magmagat is fun but that's basically the only addition to the map aside from the new areas. 

6- Dead Of The Night- This map has it the worst in terms of long and annoying quests. It has a massive quest just to get Pack a Punch. However, the great atmosphere takes it above some of the other Chaos maps. The map has a really fun Wonder Weapon, cool boss enemies, but some weak characters. The atmosphere, the music and ambiance is perfect. All things considered this makes the map just about average for me in the grand scheme. 

7- IX- I never really got the hype of this map. It seems like a simple Classified style map due to lack of quests/content, but also has all the other features of a regular map. The bosses feel like bullet sponges, the WW is very annoying and takes forever to kill. The best part of this map is when you go to the center from one of the tunnels, and the sun hits you right as the crowd roars. The story is also my favorite of the Chaos maps, I really like the radios where an explorer guy took a mercenary and has to attempt to complete the trial. Gameplay wise, it's pretty weak, and the Easter Egg is quite annoying.

8- Voyage Of Despair- I never got into this map. I've probably played it in total under 15 times. I couldn't name more than 2 steps of the EE. My main problem is the map layout/flow, which while probably being very historically accurate is just annoying. Every area looks the same and there's tons of cutoff points so it's quite hard to get around. The map is also way too big, I can barely figure out where I'm going or what I'm doing half the time. There isn't much of an atmosphere on this map, which basically every other BO4 map does very well. At least the Kraken is pretty fun.

• Moderators

Mainly talking from a gameplay perspective and I have never camped in BO 4 zombies.

1. Dead of the Night

If somebody would have told me back in the day, that I'd enjoy a celebrity cast map the most out of all the maps on a Treyarch game, I'd disregarded them for probably not having a well functioning spleen, but here we are. I like the setting, the mini boss and the look of the map. Training in the greenhouse is definitely the most fun I had in this game. :) Two things that bother me though are the Pack a Punch set up and the characters.

2. IX

The chaos maps are so much fun to play with, cause there are pretty much always more than just regular zombies on your tail and I think this setting really fits the gameplay.

3. Classified

Ultimis crew, Five with 3 more rooms/areas, and great story related information. What is not to love about that?

4. Blood of the Dead

Sadly the last time I played this map there were still blue screens/crashes happening and I think the Magma gat was still working (luckily) haha so I haven't played it in for ever and probably before a bunch of patches. During that time I really enjoyed this map and went beyond 50 a bunch of times, while training in new industries. The setting is also really cool.

5. Voyage of Despair

Enjoyed this one at launch as well, but haven't played it too much ever since. It is just a bit hard to navigate.

6. Ancient Evil

Fun setting, fun mini boss, but I haven't played it nearly enough to form a proper judgement.

7. Alpha Omega

I was really dissappointed with this one. I would have rather had a copy and paste NTZ. haha

8. Tag der Toten

(Haven't played this map aside from taking a quick peak, so I will edit this post, when I feel like playing some zombies again. :) )

Time for controversial opinions! I'm likely going to make a "Black Ops 4 Retrospective" review as is, but... for ratings' sake, may as well share my thoughts.

8. Blood of the Dead. Look, Alcatraz is fantastic as a setting! The atmosphere is perfect! But, like... the gameplay and EE are maybe the single most important thing you should focus on, and combining Usain Bolt Zombie AI in tight spaces while trying to locate a bird you can't even see, play a ghost banjo, flip a switch and tap meaningless morse code is... basically speaking, idiotic. The map doesn't deserve such a low spot, but... god, it just sits so low in my eyes. It deserved better.

7. Voyage of Despair. Same ethos as BOTD, really, but... it has a number of features and more focused gameplay that you can learn to control, that makes the game feel a lot better to play as. The Titanic is always a good setpiece.

6. Dead of the Night. This is the part where I start actually liking aspects, mind you, but... as a map, DotN always read meaningless. It didn't need to exist as a prologue. I'd have been fine with the explanation of "oh hey Alistair's kidnapped, Mary Scarlett Sue is makin' a team to bust him out", but I don't really need to know how and why... or... why this nothing crew needs to be here. It's like an unnecessary bookmark, a prologue that we really didn't need? But... eh. It's easy, and it's fun sometimes. Alistair's Folly/Annihilator/Chaos Theory are fun guns and I wish we had more guns like it. Should have had a Harquebus or something in that map, though. I'm a stickler for old-fashioned stuff.

5. Tag der Toten. I haven't played this much, mind you, but... I liked the look of the gameplay, and the mechanics of the EE looked... neat? A Light From The Shore is the best song ever, too. Surpassed all my expectations as a song. Other than that? Lore was good until the cutscene, and... yeah... I have thoughts on that ending...

4. Alpha Omega. It's a really good map, and the lore is honestly good (past plotholes I keep falling into). Just don't play it much.

3. Ancient Evil. It's just a really good map. I don't have much to say on it.

2. Classified. What a remaster should be. Honestly perfect.

1. IX. Also perfect. This is what Chaos needs to be if we get more of it. It's a perfect beginner difficulty coming off of Black Ops 3's curve, and helps you get used to the mechanics. The lore is interesting, the map's design is interesting... it just breeds interest and good. It's what I expected and more.

On 10/16/2019 at 6:34 PM, KronoriumExcerptB said:

1. Alpha Omega- probably my favorite map ever. 8 characters is a blessing, and they're all well written and well done. The atmosphere of the map is perfectly done. On the surface, everything is great and a classic American suburb. And underneath, some really dark shit happens. This is exemplified by the round change music, which starts as upbeat 60s jazz and then goes into some weird radio sounds and ends on a dark note. Gameplay wise, the Ray Gun quests generally aren't too annoying, and I actually like the added challenge of the Novas. There's also some great side quests like the round 200 side quest. The story of the map and how it is conveyed through radios and wall text is also done very well. I could go on about this map forever.  

2. Ancient Evil- This map is also definitely up there for me. I'm not nearly as into the Chaos story, but the atmosphere of the map is very well done. The environment of Delphi is something truly unique for Zombies and feels very new. The gameplay of the map is good, the challenge system feels new although it's been done many times before. The EE is fun outside of one annoying step, And the boss fight is brilliant.

3. Classified- This map is just a joy. The triumphant return of Ultimis, back and better than ever. It's a very simple, BO1 style map which I like. The music and atmosphere are very good. There's lots of awesome story info. Although there's not much to do this map is just great.

4. Tag Der Toten- This is another great story map, like all aether maps in BO4, the radios are rich and full of so many answers to long time lore questions. This is Victis at their best, I actually like them in this map which I never have before. Gameplay wise it's good, not great. It does have quite a lot of shit to do in order to play which is something I'm annoyed by, but it doesn't drag things down as much as some other maps. The skybox is probably the best I've ever seen, that beautiful Sun coming in takes it so far above CotD, which I liked but was mostly grey and blue. Like in Alpha Omega, the added areas are well taken advantage of, with pretty much every new area having some interesting lore. The facility is one of my favorite locations in a while. Overall this is another really good map.

5- Blood of the Dead- This is a good not great map to me. There is map flow and layout issues, but I do find it funny how quickly the community's tastes on that have evolved. The map flow is really no worse than MotD's, with only the Docks not accessible by a quick and easy fast travel (gondola doesn't count). The story of the map is really good, the radios aren't as chock full as the rest of the Aether maps, but still have some great nuggets. The way the story shines is with Richtofen's journey in the map, and his conversations with Stuhlinger really help make his tragic sacrifice even more tragic. I do like the gameplay but it's not anything extraordinary, the magmagat is fun but that's basically the only addition to the map aside from the new areas. 

6- Dead Of The Night- This map has it the worst in terms of long and annoying quests. It has a massive quest just to get Pack a Punch. However, the great atmosphere takes it above some of the other Chaos maps. The map has a really fun Wonder Weapon, cool boss enemies, but some weak characters. The atmosphere, the music and ambiance is perfect. All things considered this makes the map just about average for me in the grand scheme. 

7- IX- I never really got the hype of this map. It seems like a simple Classified style map due to lack of quests/content, but also has all the other features of a regular map. The bosses feel like bullet sponges, the WW is very annoying and takes forever to kill. The best part of this map is when you go to the center from one of the tunnels, and the sun hits you right as the crowd roars. The story is also my favorite of the Chaos maps, I really like the radios where an explorer guy took a mercenary and has to attempt to complete the trial. Gameplay wise, it's pretty weak, and the Easter Egg is quite annoying.

8- Voyage Of Despair- I never got into this map. I've probably played it in total under 15 times. I couldn't name more than 2 steps of the EE. My main problem is the map layout/flow, which while probably being very historically accurate is just annoying. Every area looks the same and there's tons of cutoff points so it's quite hard to get around. The map is also way too big, I can barely figure out where I'm going or what I'm doing half the time. There isn't much of an atmosphere on this map, which basically every other BO4 map does very well. At least the Kraken is pretty fun. i disagree strongly my guy but its your opinion so thats lit i like descriptions of maps

Archived