The story of the Chtulu statues

anonymous

• Moderators

Hey all, 

When Shadows of Evil was released, I'd imagine there was a lot of chaos concerning the whole story of the map. I mean, we were introduced to so many extraordinary things at that moment, I could totally see it might have overwhelmed the community. We tried to explain what was going on by looking to the largest, most striking and weird things. What is the Ancient Order of the Keepers? Why is this realm twisted? What are those Lovecraftian creatures constantly chasing us?

But the map has so much detail in everything. And I think that if we understand the smaller things, we might be able to solve what the heck exactly is going on actually. Today I played the map after a long time again, and I realized something small that I wanted to share with you all.

It is about the Chtulu statues that are needed to charge the Apothican Eggs with Life Force from the dead. I guess you all know that initially, they are packed in large wooded boxes. It's like they are recently transported there. Now in one of the Reporter's phone messages to mr. Rapt, he says the following:

It's just.. all the stuff you've had me do - tracking down ancient artifacts in the South Pacific, finding all these strange metals and rocks in Russia - and still, I haven't even met you face-to-face!

Concerning the artifacts, I always assumed this was about the Summoning Key. But the Chtulu statues are actually way more logical! First of all, he says artifacts, in a plural form. He also states that he has tracked them down in the South Pacific Ocean. And what more is located there?

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor nan madolAfbeeldingsresultaat voor zetsubou no shima temple

Nan Madol, a partly flooded ancient city that is believed to be the renmant of Lemuria. Lemuria was the opponent of Atlantis, and after having a Great War with each other, both cities sunk in the ocean. Their refugees are said have fled underground where they created the subterrean world Agartha.

Nan Madol is also believed to be the inspiration for Lovecraft's R'lyeh, a sunken city in the South Pacific, home to Chtulu.

The nightmare corpse-city of R'lyeh…was built in measureless eons behind history by the vast, loathsome shapes that seeped down from the dark stars. There lay great Cthulhu and his hordes, hidden in green slimy vaults.

— H. P. Lovecraft, "The Call of Cthulhu" (1928)

This reminds me of something we awake in Zetsubou no Shima, at round 50

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor zetsubou no shima monster

As the Chtulu statues resemble, well, the Great Chtulu, it would perfectly make sense if this are the artifacts the Reporter talks about. Now we have a final question: Why did he had to track them down and bring them to Morg City? What use did mr. Rapt have with this? 

We also got this phone message:

Asking around, I've heard more than a few whispers about this Ancient Order and the Keepers. I think it's some kind of cult. They say you can hear them chanting sometimes, from beneath the city. There's all these rumors about human sacrifice and freaky shit that even the police won't investigate.

The Ancient Order of the Keepers are said to perform human sacrifices. Life Force is needed to charge the Apothican Eggs via the Chtulu statues, possibly because the statues form some kind of conduit of the energy. Almost like charging up batteries. The Eggs are said to be Apothican, the Swords are said to be Apothican. But the Keepers give it to us (as well as there is seen Keeper language on the wall containing the Eggs and on the wooden boxes containing the statues). Why does the Shadowman want the statues in Morg City? And why are the Keepers involved in this?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My theory is that the main reason that statues exist there in Morg City is because there's a cult there that worships the Keepers. Considering Apothicons came from corrupt Keepers, I would assume the Shadowman could easily manipulate something originally meant for Keepers into something Apothicon. What once was theirs, shall now be ours I suppose is the saying of the Apothicons in a way if this is true. Hopefully my response isn't too confusing, but that's what I think.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ProjectKMR said:

My theory is that the main reason that statues exist there in Morg City is because there's a cult there that worships the Keepers. Considering Apothicons came from corrupt Keepers, I would assume the Shadowman could easily manipulate something originally meant for Keepers into something Apothicon. What once was theirs, shall now be ours I suppose is the saying of the Apothicons in a way if this is true. Hopefully my response isn't too confusing, but that's what I think.

You mean the statues already were in Morg City? I can get your explanation, but why would the statues be hidden in wooden boxes, then?

You could ask the same question about the Summoning Key, but I feel it was intentionally hidden in the boxes so an Apothicon being, (The Beast mode) could open it and reveal it's secret powers. What I find to be odd about the Apothicon Sword is that its base form is, well, Apothicon. But when upgraded it becomes a sword of a Keeper by killing Apothicons around the map on Keeper Circles. What is also strange is that Keeper symbols are inputed into a wall to obtain the Apothicon version of the sword. There really is no sense to all of this at all.

Well it’s good to know the Zombies story has fully embraced the Lovecraft mythos, since we recently learned that the carcass of an Elder God was recovered at the bottom of the pacific ocean, by both Ascension and the Americans. This was the source of the Apothicon Blood we see in Tag der Toten. A drawing in the comm room on the ship shows the dormant Elder-god at the bottom of the ocean, and it appears to be one of those squiddy Overlord-dudes that fly around and ate PaP in revelations. 

So, zombies pretty much implies that every world religion in history was based on different cultures’ interactions with the Keepers, re-told in different forms. So, Monty / shadowman aren’t “god” and “the devil,” but just “the beings that inspired those characters,” according to the story.

in the same way, I suspect Treyarch are piggy-backing on the Lovecraft body of canon, basically saying “In the zombies universe, HP lovecraft was actually inspired to write Call of Cthulhu by the ”real” Apothicon at the bottom of the ocean” etc. so like, maybe much like monty, that elder-god has gone by many names, one of which being Cthulhu. 

• 1 month later...

Archived