Return Through Aether (10+ Years of Maps)

RadZakpak

• Moderators

Mob of the Dead

Spoiler

Mob of the Dead is widely regarded as one of the best maps of all time by the larger Zombies community. It is the first map officially led in design by Jason Blundell, and marks, in my opinion, the greatest shift in the game mode's history. Mob of the Dead literally changed the game, and what makes up the mode today can be traced back to Mob. Personally, I have been of the opinion that Mob of the Dead is a little overrated, and much of what it does to innovate is done better in subsequent maps. Today I was looking to see if new life could be breathed into this map for me. I was not disappointed.

2eee5474 2749 4c90 9579 c70f47280954

Mob of the Dead is a marker of many changes in Zombies as a mode, but one in particular that struck me immediately was the tone. Zombies has always been lighthearted to some extent, with plenty of darkness. Emotions as a player range from excitement to fear, or sometimes anger or joy if something particularly strikes a nerve. Playing Mob of the Dead, though, I was struck multiple times by a sense of sadness and despair unlike my previous entries. I was playing as Billy Handsome, a cold, calculated killer who may truly deserve his fate in purgatory. He's boastful and brash like "Tank" Dempsey, with a love for killing in a most gruesome fashion. Yet, as Icarus took to the skies and escape from this cycle seemed possible, the storm surrounding Alcatraz sent Handsome tumbling down to the Golden Gate Bridge. As Where Are We Going comes to a close and Icarus plunges into the water below, Billy begins to beg and plead to the forces holding him captive to just end his suffering. It's heartbreaking as you come to the realization that the cycle must begin anew, and Billy must relive his own death in the electric chair again, only to start the pain all over again. It's gutwrenching, and a sign that Zombies is capable of telling a real, compelling emotional story:

Mob of the Dead not only changed the status quo when it came to the story and tone, but also with the gameplay. Right as you spawn in you are introduced to the game mechanic that sets Mob apart from any other map, Afterlife Mode. Instead of having three Quick Revive purchases in Solo, you go into Afterlife upon going down if you have any left. While in Afterlife you can open areas of the map, uncover secrets, and zap zombies away from your body. On one hand, Afterlife makes the game much, much easier, as even in Co-op you will have an extra cushion if you are downed where you can revive yourself, and in Solo you can have up to 3 revives in one round. On the other hand, that does not have to be a bad thing, and it allows newer players a better ability to explore and discover secrets on the map without fear of dying before the fun even begins. It also helps make up for the rather tight map design. I like it as a unique feature of this map, and this map only.

The quest to build Icarus and get to the Golden Gate Bridge set the precedent for mini-quests that often inform the story while also unlocking a crucial part of gameplay, now a staple of Jason Blundell maps. Some mark this as the death of simple Zombies gameplay, while others contend the new complexity adds to replayability. I fall somewhere in the middle, as I think there should be extra small quests to improve and progress through the map to give a unique flair to the experience, but when they become overly long and tedious, that is a step too far. One way I think Mob of the Dead's features are better refined in future installments is in this aspect, is the trek through the large map to get the gas cans every time you want to Pack-a-Punch gets tedious, and the thrill of riding Icarus the first time is lost on subsequent flights. Gorod Krovi, for example, rectifies the dragon's slow flight by having dragon wings you can use to instantly teleport to Pack-a-Punch. I can't blame Mob of the Dead, however, for not doing a brand new idea perfectly the first time, and I respect the boldness in Mob's innovations.

11cb6744 9e54 4fb6 8533 6b40c5269af1

I played through Mob, trying to get the full experience. I tried out the map-exclusive weapons, which I absolutely love: The Tommy Gun, Uzi, Death Machine, and AK47. I upgraded the Hell's Retriever to the Hell's Redeemer, and acquired the golden spork. With my Acid-gat, I survived for a while just moving around areas of the map, but I ran into the inevitable sense of repetition, and started to grow bored. I think this is where my sense the map is overrated comes from, but that opinion comes with the caveat that I have been playing this map to death over several years. There is little to nothing left to conquer, and so it is not the experience it used to be. However, Mob of the Dead truly excels when you are new to it, and that sense of wonder was reclaimed today. That is where it truly shines.

At round 28, I decided to head for the bridge to make a final stand, now without Juggernog, and ended up surviving until round 32, dying after harassment by four Brutuses...

The Cycle Continues

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Buried

Spoiler

Buried marks the end of an era in Zombies history. With the success of Mob of the Dead and what map is to come next, this would be the last map led by Jimmy Zielinski, and seemingly at the time, the end of the Victis story. With all that in mind, I think the team threw in all their ideas into a mix that would become Buried. In the community, Buried is typically regarded as either being a fondly remembered map, or a boring one, depending who you ask. I've always been more inclined to say the map is somewhat boring because the tools it gives you for survival are so strong that little effort is required. Going in today, I found myself enjoying the many unique attributes of the map for what they are, and tried to put myself in the shoes of someone who didn't start playing Buried six years ago.

17878540 35d3 42ae 90ae 09446cd49dc5

Buried takes a cue from Mob of the Dead's book in that it uses ambient music to give the atmosphere some tension and immerse you into this Old West town trapped beneath ground, out of time. It does really add to the map, and I appreciate the western aesthetic. The town itself is so quiet and dead, giving you this sense you can never escape now that you are a part of it. It's dead, apart from our good friend Arthur, who is apparently a servant of the Wolf King from 1318. Apart from the strange implications on the story, Arthur is one of my favorite gameplay mechanics that hearkens back to my favorite mechanic in Zombies, the hacker from Moon. Arthur is a multipurpose tool, and some of his abilities can really help you get set up early on if used correctly. You can't help but feel bad when you accidentally shoot him and he locks himself away in fear.

Combined, Arthur, the bank, the time bomb, the paralyzer, persistent upgrades, and free perk bottles from the ghosts, with enough knowledge of the map and some money in the bank, Buried becomes an optimizer's dream. You can have your entire loadout set up on round 1 with the entire map open, all buildables done, all chalks placed, everything you could want, and this is all before the advent of gobblegums or elixirs. Buried gave you the tools the make the game as easy as you could want. From one perspective, this many options makes not using them feel like an intentional handicap, while from another, they add to the depth of the map and make it more fun to return and try to better optimize your early round strategies. I think this is where the main point of contention with Buried lies.

6bebbd5a de49 4bb5 93ef aa71d983e9a5

I don't think it is fair to dismiss all the unique ideas brought to the table just because they make the game easier. The Paralyzer and Time Bomb are some of the coolest weapons in Zombies history. Arthur served as the first "A.I." helper that would go on to inspire future assistants such as the Civil Protector and A.D.A.M. The main quest Endgame, where you could get a Maxis or Richtofen ending depending on who you chose in TranZit and Die Rise really added to the map's identity, though the sharpshooter step of the quest makes me want to die just thinking about it. I'm surprised the chalk system was never implemented again, and I like the idea of being able to choose where a weapon is buyable. Also, despite the system of buildables being the same as in TranZit, they are done so much better here, and the two new ones are lots of fun to use. 

I haven't really talked much about today's game, because to be honest there wasn't much to talk about. It's all an experience I've had before, of getting the map open, buying Juggernog, getting the Paralyzer and Time Bomb, and all the perks. I tried not staying in one place in order to up the excitement a little, but rarely did I find myself in much real danger in the town. On round 24, I decided to hold out near Pack-a-Punch, and I did end up going down, only to be revived with all my perks except Quick Revive due to one of those persistent upgrades. I've always liked the idea, but not the implementation since you could not actively see what you had going into a game and most of the time you get them on accident rather than earning them. Finally, I died trying to grab all the shiny money bags on the floor from Vulture Aid, which is an awesome perk by the way!

• Moderators

Origins

Spoiler

Six years ago, I don't think anyone knew quite what to expect from DLC 4. After Buried's Engame, I was scratching my head just wondering where Treyarch would go next. I couldn't believe what came next. The return of our old crew, this time younger, meeting for the first time in a dieselpunk World War I with giant robots moving across the landscape. Everything I remember about Origins can be summed up by the word awesome, as childish as that might sound. It truly wowed me as I was just starting my sophomore year of high school. Origins could have easily flopped, and some would argue it took the game in a wrong direction, but I think Origins is a massive success given it managed to tide the community over for another two years and a brand new console generation. There is so much to love about Origins, and while recently its glamour has faded upon repeated playthroughs, I think it stands the test of time as one of Zombies' all time greatest maps.

5c39237a 933a 43f3 8699 043005d82523

Where to even begin? I guess the intro cinematic is a good a place as any, being my all time favorite and a perfect introduction to our new/old cast. As the name implies, Origins is the beginning, but so much is different about this story than what we were used to. The cutscene perfectly dives you in to this new side of the story, giving just the right amount of mystery to keep you asking questions, while also being entertaining as hell to watch. Immediately upon watching again, I was so eager to jump right in. The setting for this map is so detailed, and so enticing. I am honestly shocked by what they were able to get away with on the Xbox 360 at the time, and how much love and effort went into the assets in Origins. To avoid just saying everything is so cool, I'll move on...

One thing to note about the gameplay is the difficulty jump from Buried. I'd be willing to bet you that at least 60 percent of my deaths on Origins have been before I even acquire Juggernog, and another 20 percent are at the first Panzer spawn. Origins can be very frustrating to a newer player, and it doesn't hold back any punches. The mud will slow you to a crawl. The robots will step in your path at the worst time. The zombies will enclose you in the tight trenches. The Panzer Soldat will absolutely wreck you. It can be hard to gauge sometimes if a game is unfairly hard or not, but I think Origins is quite fair with enough knowledge of the map and good instinct. Origins gives you the sometimes literal powers of a god if you have what it takes to acquire them through side quests.

Speaking of side quests, Origins has a lot of them. One thing I have loved about Origins is even in higher rounds, you are always striving towards some new goal. You've got the staves, their upgrades, challenges, the shield, the maxis drone, the one inch punch, the golden shovel, the golden helmet, empty perk bottles, G-Strikes, the free PaPed MG08, nine different perks, and if you're up to the challenge, the main quest. It still baffles me that they managed to have so much content on just one map, not to mention the introduction of a new story and basically new characters. It's clear to me this map was meant to be another Der Riese Hail Mary to keep us playing and questioning the state of the story until the next installment, and I really think it worked.

793849bf e4f1 4235 9503 31ff3944043d

I had so much fun in Origins today. I, however, did not want to touch the easter egg with a ten-foot pole because doing that Solo is just awful. Treyarch have never really nailed the Solo quest experience unfortunately, and Origins is one of the most tedious. I only built the Fire staff and the Ice staff, upgrading the fire one. A problem I have with the staves is their upgrade quests being a little convoluted and tedious, pretty much requiring you to look up a guide for the Crazy Place part. This elemental weapon upgrade quest format was later better done in Der Eisendrache and Alpha Omega, but Origins laid the groundwork. The staves are so cool, that I think Treyarch have been unable to top the coolness factor since. 

I had a lot of fun with the new weapons such as the Scar-H and the MG08 and was advancing quite nicely, training in the Speed Cola foot area. I think Origins is one of the harder maps to train on, especially given the mud, and I'm not quite sure what most high round strategies entail other than camping with the upgraded Ice Staff. When you aren't actively trying to go for the main quest, Origins can be a hell of a lot of fun, and all of its unique features truly shine. Unfortunately, as I went to upgrade my Skorpion Evo on round 27, something terrible happened... I lost connection to the Black Ops 2 servers. And so, my game was over. But my trek into a whole new era of Zombies had just begun.

• Moderators

Shadows of Evil

Spoiler

Hey you...

After two long years of waiting, with only Extinction and... Exo-Zombies to keep me company, my interest in the future of Zombies at the time had begun to wane. That is, until this trailer dropped: 

Even today, this trailer still manages to get me pumped to play Shadows of Evil. Snakeskin Boots, squid monsters, Jeff Goldblum... Shadows of Evil hearkens back to the campy tone that I loved about "Five" but with a Lovecraftian twist. Shadows of Evil introduced us to the Keepers and the Apothicons, which have secretly been the driving force behind the entire story. There are some that dislike this transition into Lovecraftian mythology, but I think it fits with the universe in hindsight. When the map released, things were not perfect, however. When I hear the complaints of how broken Black Ops 4 was at launch, I'm reminded of Black Ops 3's launch where Shadows was much derided for its complexity and the many bugs present. Yet, Shadows has aged like a fine wine, and I would consider it one of my favorite maps of all time. 

F28a5e75 e578 45ea acf5 c844a6a2b5a6

When it comes to the story set up in Origins, Shadows does not try to advance it. That is what The Giant was for, but Shadows instead serves as a side story very akin to Mob of the Dead, and only later would we find out it was establishing the framework for the entire storyline with the Apothicons and Keepers. There are some who would call Shadows simply Mob 2.0, and I would be hard-pressed to disagree. But I think Shadows has a unique setting and gameplay that set it apart from Mob of the Dead into something entirely different. Cursed Morg City is like no other location in Zombies, filled with iconography of some interdimensional force that you barely understand. Everywhere you go you are stalked by this Shadowman, who claims to be your friend, yet you get the sense he has some ulterior motive. Shadows follows the motif established by Mob of the Dead about paying for your sins, but instead of wasting away in an endless cycle, you become a pawn in a far greater evil's twisted game. Everything about the city feels like a dream, almost unreal. Shadows, however, is not bogged down by darkness, and has plenty of lighthearted moments in its gameplay and characters. One of my favorite side quests in the game is upgrading the Lil' Arnies, which involves gathering a top hat, a cane, and a bow tie so that Arnie can give the performance of his life for your pleasure:

So let's get to today's game. Today I, thankfully, started as Nero Blackstone, voiced and modeled after Mr. Jeff Goldblum. I distinctly remembered this feeling of excitement and validation as a Zombies player that a real-life actor whom I was so familiar with would get involved in the mode. I managed to get open PaP on round 2, and started training in the subway. Normally, I would use the fast strategy near Waterfront to get to high rounds, but I really wanted to experience different parts of the map. I upgraded the sword and acquired Lil' Arnies and the Apothican Servant without much of a problem. I also picked up the new perk, Widows Wine, which has become pretty much ubiquitous in my Black Ops 3 experience. I think overall Widows Wine may have hindered my skill as a Zombies player, and become a sort of crutch like Juggernog. Every solo game has me using Juggernog, Quick Revive, Widows Wine, and Double Tap as my base four perks, because trying something different in those slots would be putting me at a sort of disadvantage. This would of course be remedied by the ability to buy more perks, but unfortunately the only way to do that in a majority of BO3 maps is through Gobblegums.

I suppose this is a good a place as any to discuss Gobblegums. For my Black Ops 3 playthroughs, I will only be using Classic gums to keep things more authentic. I think of them as a double-edged sword. On one hand, microtransactions are a very unethical business, and Gobblegums in a way can make in-game success down to who is lucky or who has spent the most money. On the other hand, they add endless replayability and fun, as well as serving as a way for less-skilled players to get in on the fun, and increasing the ceiling for what high-skill players can achieve. I think they are a core part of BO3 Zombies' identity and the game is better off for them, however, I can see the arguments against them as valid.

I can see why this map is controversial, and extremely un-friendly to newer players. As I said in my return to Mob of the Dead, complexity can be a gift and a curse. It can prove tedious upon repeated playthroughs to use Beast Mode to unlock the map and perform the rituals, and while I think it is a step above Mob in that regard, it is still a turn-off for many.

At the end of the day, I think Black Ops 3 was a great Zombies experience, and though Shadows was controversial as a launch map it still stands out as a fantastic experience. I had fun today returning and getting set up as I've done probably over a hundred times before. However, I reached a certain point where I felt I was ready to end my experience, so I took to the stage of the Black Lace Burlesque for one final performance on round 35:

• Moderators

The Giant

Spoiler

Question: How do you improve the greatest map of all time with a Remake? The Answer: You probably don't. But making it look gorgeous is a good start.

3fb76d9a 7445 409e 8da6 3d96fbec2f09

After the reveal of Shadows of Evil, I was understandably pumped for Zombies to return on my Xbox One. But, it was when I saw The Giant's intro cutscene that I was left so excited and baffled at the same time, and dove right back into the lore of Zombies. To this day, this cutscene does not entirely make sense, and at the time it was shocking. It wasn't just seeing the Origins crew plus classic Richtofen in full HD that wowed me, but this intersection of what felt like the old and the new, and the emotional rollercoaster as the two Richtofens stare each other down before one suddenly shoots the other in the face. It still gives me chills to this day. All of that was just from the intro cutscene alone, what about the actual map?

The Giant, unfortunately, does not expand on the Der Riese that we knew like recent reimaginings have (i.e. Blood, Classified, Alpha Omega). I've always felt it would be so cool to be able to explore the Der Riese facility much further to uncover the secrets and the layout of the place Richtofen spent years performing his research. At the time though, I can understand not wanting to alter a map many would consider perfect too much. That safety, however, may have been its downfall. Taking the layout of a map from a seven year old game and placing it in a modern Call of Duty engine may cause unintended side effects. The map feels slightly larger to me, possibly due to trying to account for the faster movement speed. But, the map's tightness becomes more apparent as you approach the round 10 mark.

Black Ops 3 Zombies is noticeably faster than previous entries. The zombies start sprinting at a faster rate, the zombies swing at a faster rate, and the zombies spawn at a faster rate. The thing I despised most about Extinction and Exo-Zombies was the breakneck game speed, Exo-Zombies in particular not allowing you any breathing room during the round to strategize, instead asking you to RUN RUN RUN. Black Ops 3 at least, thankfully, does not make the last zombie bleed out, a problem Black Ops 2 and 4 suffer from, however, the last zombie after a certain point will ALWAYS sprint to an absurd degree, meaning in solo you have got to be constantly moving while trying to do whatever it is you need to do, because a single zombie swings so fast they can down you in only a second or two with Juggernog. Making a crawler rarely works, and when it does the zombie will just respawn as a runner.

5e008c80 e498 4f05 835c e431ffd2fb15

This ridiculous hit speed nearly ruined the map as I returned today. I tried using training strategies before acquiring the Wunderwaffe, but ended up going down three times before I just finally threw in the towel and sat on the catwalk. I could just chock that up to being not as good as I once was, yet I was doing fine on Shadows of Evil just before that. What is different about The Giant? Well that fast game speed is less of a problem for Shadows with some of its more open areas and escape routes at every turn, but The Giant was designed seven years before, and understandably lacks what it doesn't need. What worked so perfectly in an older engine makes only other strategies viable, and that is an understandable flaw of The Giant. My death clip will go on to further demonstrate this lack of space.

Apart from that, there wasn't much else to say on The Giant looking back on it. I did have a genuine good time, though trying for 27 rounds to get the Wunderwaffe was incredibly annoying and I don't miss when the only way to get these weapons was from the box. The alternate ammo types are neat, if not pretty OP, and dead wire is so satisfying. The catwalk is pretty viable on The Giant even in Solo up into the mid 30s because Black Ops 3's weapons are much stronger than in older titles, and I will admit a faster game speed does keep high rounds from being as boring.

I eventually decided to drop down from the catwalk for one last attempt to train next to the power. After being hit once, then three times in the blink of an eye, I panicked and fired my Wunderwaffe only to die. 

• Moderators

Dead Ops Arcade 2

Spoiler

With the release of Black Ops 3 came the memorable Shadows of Evil and The Giant, but there was still more available to a Zombies fan at the time. There was Nightmares, which I have not played enough to warrant discussion here, and the oft-forgotten Dead Ops Arcade 2. DOA 2 might even be more forgotten than its first iteration, which is a shame in my eyes and I'd like to highlight what made it an improvement over the original, and where it may fall short.

206e22a3 c3ac 47ef 9f08 c873fc370c3a

Dead Ops Arcade 2 lives up to its name as a very direct sequel to the first side mode, taking all the mechanics and powerups of the original, integrating them into new levels and adding new powerups and mechanics. DOA2 proves once again the creativity of the Treyarch team in their reuse of assets, proving in my eyes that that ingenious resourcefulness still remains in the team all these years later. DOA2's new powerups include RAPS drones, missile launchers, a clock that stops time, and most interesting of all, a First Person powerup. Something I remember many players wanting to do in the first Dead Ops Arcade was to experience the mode in first person. It seems strange to me, though, that this would be reserved to a powerup rather than a separate mode, and it can be a bit jarring and headache inducing at first. But my favorite new powerup is the boxing gloves, which basically encourage you to spin around sending zombies flying in all directions:

(side note, I think a really cool whimsical gobblegum would have been having those "Wham!" and "Pow!" pop ups come up everytime you kill a zombie with the gum active.)

So all in all, DOA2 should be a direct upgrade from the first mode, however there are elements I did not like about it. For starters, it's funny, but I feel like the increased speed of Zombies actually carried over to DOA2. Often times I found the hit detection from zombies to be very inconsistent, with me being able to easily slip through gaps just fine, while other times a zombie can down me after I am no where near them which was frustrating. There is also the addition of "Silverback Challenge" rounds, which are a combination of bad and bizarre. One is a derby around a track with a car that has terrible controls, another is a race to the top of a hill fighting skeletons along the way, in which you can actually lose your lives, and the last I could get to involved that same car with bad controls and pushing eggs into a basket. I got one egg. They really broke the flow of the game and felt way too ill-conceived. This is all of course coming from someone who has never even finished the mode, so I'm a filthy casual in that regard.

7c736303 f3ec 4134 be06 cd16831683d6

Something I found interesting while reading about this mode is that apparently one level near the latter half of levels contains spiders from Zetsubou No Shima. Turns out, they were added as a bonus level in an update shortly after Zetsubou's release: 

This has be curious, were they holding back on releasing this level at launch because it may spoil the new enemy in DLC 2? Or, did a developer lovingly program them into DOA as a little treat to its small fanbase? I can't say for certain, because nobody talks about DOA or DOA2 much online, which is a shame! Dead Ops Arcade is very much a part of Zombies and Call of Duty history, and deserves to be remembered as such.

In today's game I essentially drained most of my powerups and lives in the Coliseum and blood lake levels, before coming face to face with a Margwa mini-boss with 0 lives left. I did not last long, my game finally ending on round 29. 

• Moderators

Der Eisendrache

Spoiler

With the Zombies community on not-so-solid footing after launch, the first map in the DLC season for Black Ops 3 needed to be something able to be enjoyed by those wanting a simple game of survival, and those looking for quests and an advancement of the story. Der Eisendrache delivered in spades. Widely regarded as an all-around fantastic map, if not a little overrated, Der Eisendrache has left its mark on Zombies history. Today I wanted to remind myself why I enjoyed this map so much, and find if it still holds up today.

83cb40b6 83d5 4398 aa70 297616e765c6

I think to start I should talk about the thing this map is built around: The bows. Feeding the dragons can be a bit tedious just as feeding the dogs is on Mob of the Dead, but the bows are what give this map its identity. If you play Der Eisendrache and don't get a bow... then what map are you even playing? I can appreciate how the upgrade process is more fun and streamlined compared to the staves of Origins. Each bow feels unique and fun to use in their own way, and their quests fit their respective themes. The Void Bow is probably the coolest in my opinion, but the Lightning Bow is undeniably the best bow. That is why I chose it today as I decided to run through the quest.

Progression through Der Eisendrache is a calming reprieve from the complexity of setting up on Shadows. With a simple flip of a switch and opening up the map, you now are ready to Pack-a-Punch. Der Eisendrache never forces anything upon you as the player, allowing you free access to hit the box and survive as long as possible doing nothing else buy buying perks and upgrading your weapons. It may sound strange to say, and I may be alone on this, but DE feels like a Black Ops 1 map with all the goodies and graphics from future installments sprinkled on top. Areas are open enough for training but tight enough for a challenge, unless you have the bows of course. Nothing is overly complex, even the easter egg quest. 

4e2298b2 ca88 4bab ae41 55bb33281b49

I've heard DE referred to as an Origins Lite, or as just a mishmash of other maps' mechanics shoved together haphazardly. Whoever said that last thing must be thinking of Revelations. (oof) However, I see it as more of a refinement of those features into something greater. I'll make another metaphor, one more absurd than the WaW maps as planets thing, but hear me out. I like to think of Black Ops 3's map selection as a menu at a Gourmet restaurant. Shadows of Evil is an omelette covered in bacon, real greasy and bad for the heart, but very tasty. The Giant is an inoffensive side salad, a collection of familiar vegetables with some dressing for flavor. Der Eisendrache is one of those fancy cheeseburgers with a prime cut of meat on sourdough with all the fixings, a collection of various components from all over the kitchen to create something greater than the sum of its parts. Anyway, about the story...

Der Eisendrache's quest is actually a pretty good one, and one of my favorites. All the steps make sense and the interactions you have with Groph at Griffin Station just feel so perfect in their nods to Moon. DE similarly ends with the launching of rockets towards another celestial body, essentially flipping Moon's outcome in a most bombastic way. The sight of the dozen rockets hurtling towards the moon as the piano score plays and Doctor Groph begins to panic is actually breathtaking. Der Eisen is has perhaps one of the prettiest skyboxes of any Zombies map. The end cutscene also sets the tone for the season going forward as a more personal tale about four men confronting their own mortality.

Fc419d19 7338 4418 9e0a 7a36906da33b

I had a blast returning to Der Eisendrache, and I think it deserves its high place on so many peoples' rankings. With the quest complete and all perks acquired, I played fast and loose with an upgraded VMP and an HVK, avoiding use of my bow. As the pizza in my oven went ding, I knew it was time to let the game come to a close. On round 32, I cornered myself in the room where you upgrade the void bow and died.

• Moderators

Zetsubou No Shima

Spoiler

After the breath of fresh air that was Der Eisendrache when it released, my spirits had been rejuvenated and my desire to continue this journey had returned. The next map's reveal, Zetsubou No Shima, didn't exactly blow anyone away, and when the map released there was a great deal of frustration with the map's new features. Myself being on Xbox One, I had to wait a month to play, and as such after the map came out on PS4 I started to lose interest in playing the map after the easter egg was finished. However, when it did release on Xbox, I was pleasantly surprised that I did find the map incredibly fun to play. I was just as pleasantly surprised today to find that it still holds up.

C104cf8f 11d2 42eb 84ac 9d5ba2555a54

Takeo has always been a favorite character of mine. Often the butt of the joke and considered very one-note, I don't think many people were expecting a Takeo-centric story to be so gripping. Even through all this madness, Takeo maintains his principles and belief in the Empire which raised him. After Dempsey's trial, it is now Takeo's turn to face a grim reality. Zetsubou No Shima has my favorite ending cutscene of any map. The lighting and the camera-work perfectly capture Takeo's conflict in those short moments leading up to the reveal: That the Emperor betrayed him, lied to him. The music ramps up and stings as the truth comes out. What will happen to Takeo now? What is his path? It is then that Takeo decides he will serve a greater purpose than as a servant. After his counterpart's suffering for years at the hands of Division 9, Takeo offers him the honorable death he so deserves. It is poignant, and most of all, personal, barely cutting away from the focus here: Takeo. It is the first phase of a new path in Takeo's life: One to achieve a better tomorrow.

It seems strange to talk about the ending to a map first in a retrospective, but that just goes to show how impactful it was on me. That is not to say the map itself is devoid of content, far from it actually. Something the devs touted about ZNS before release was how it was the most frightening map to date. I don't know if I agree with that, but I think ZNS's horror shines in what is not shown and what does not make sense. Those creatures in the pods have no clear faces to be seen, so you have no real idea what they look like, or if they are even alive. There is this sense overall that you are being watched, and something is lurking just beyond the playable area. On round 50, my favorite easter egg happens where a beast very subtly moves across the landscape in the distance, never to be seen again. It gives me chills just thinking about it, and triggers my fear of the ocean, where space is so vast and unclear, and you would be able to see any creature roaming in the distance as it approaches you.

65f99474 7562 4838 b490 969e0b879654

Gameplay-wise, I love ZNS too. This is where it is panned by many, but the plant system is very enjoyable to me as a form of resource management. I will agree, however, that there is an over-abundance of doors, and the simple act of turning on the power is a little tedious. However, I think it is worth it for the gameplay on offer. After all the set up, the quest itself is not very hard, and I kind of enjoy it. I didn't run into much trouble completing it today, and thus unlocked probably one of the best camping spots in Zombies history, and one of the best training spots in Zombies history. After the quest, this map becomes stupidly easy. I'm conflicted whether that is a bad thing or not, but with the pod plants, you can basically survive forever on ZNS with enough time.

To return to the food analogy, Zetsubou is a cooked salmon dish. Not everyone likes seafood, and it has a history of making people sick of not cooked correctly, but when done right and for the right customer, it is a delicacy.

After completing the quest, I decided enough was enough, and headed into the Giant Spider cave (which is another awesome part of the map), and died to a thrasher on round 36.

• Moderators

Gorod Krovi

Spoiler

After Zetsubou No Shima, the pattern had been set. We knew the next map was in Stalingrad and would deal with collecting Nikolai's soul. What we didn't know, however, was if the map would be loved like DE or despised like, at the time, ZNS. Then the opening cutscene dropped, and we knew we'd be in for a wild ride:

With undead, dragons, drones, giant robots, and Nikolai in a Manticore Suit, all set to the sound of Ace of Spades, Gorod immediately shakes the darker tone we were left with at the end of ZNS for something more chaotic and a bit more light-hearted. The tension quickly builds though as the secrets of Gorod Krovi are uncovered and it becomes apparent what caused this situation. Gorod utilizes its setting very well and feels very authentic to a wasteland left behind and still enduring a harsh war. I can't help but feel a sense of tragedy as Nikolai must put down the last survivor in this city he so loved, himself.

Gorod in my opinion ramps up the difficulty from the previous two installments with many tighter areas barely suited for training. It does have a fun camping spot in the Hatchery house upstairs, but that will not last forever, and neither will the new wonder weapon, a combination of a black hole gun and a Ray Gun Mk3. It is perhaps one of the coolest weapon designs we've had and incredibly fun to use, even if its damage does not last into the high rounds. The new shield removes the pretty-much useless charge ability in favor of a fire blast which is so incredibly satisfying to use and protects you from the dragon's fire. The new weapon selection is also superb, including the classic PPSh-41 and the L4 Siege. Although I didn't do it this game, the time trials mechanic is a very welcome addition and I wish it was used more recently as well.

7a68551b f5ca 47d5 ab4f dfa60d7eafdc

Aside from the positives, there is one major thing I dislike about GK, and that is the easter egg quest. I'm fine with steps that do not particularly impact the story at all, however when they involve escort quests I am immediately turned off, especially since during the step zombies will spawn infinitely with no break in between. It is absolutely absurd to try and accomplish this in solo without gobblegums, so I did not even bother trying for it today. Also the few times I've been in the boss fight in solo, Nikolai's attacks are ridiculously strong and unfun to try to counter. The only way I can bear to do this quest is in co-op with a team that knows the steps, which is a shame because I really enjoy doing quests with people that are inexperienced.

Setting aside the easter egg quest, GK is a solid map overall and many other complaints people have I don't really have a problem with. I was having lots of fun today camping in the Hatchery, but wasn't feeling too confident training, nor have I ever in this map. As a restaurant dish, Gorod Krovi is a classic steak. Cook it a little too much or too little and the whole meal is ruined. These analogies are getting worse and worse...

On round 34, I decided enough was enough and tried surviving in the bottom floor of the hatchery only to be overwhelmed.

• Moderators

Revelations

Spoiler

With the stinger left at the end of Gorod Krovi, we knew that the final map in the Black Ops 3 saga would be named "Revelations". While not necessarily the end of the story, it was described as "putting brackets" around the story thus far. Yet, playing it today I began to feel bouts of sadness as if my journey were over. Maybe my emotions are running high knowing that the true end to the story is not far off, but Revelations served as an excellent "recap" so to speak of the game mode I have loved for years. In terms of gameplay, Revelations isn't anything special, but it has heart in many of the right places.

9ddd25d3 159c 4832 80a2 55199ed23f06

Something Revelations has mastered above many other maps is its presentation. Right from the start, you are made to feel tiny in the wake of the massive Apothicon before it gobbles up the pack-a-punch machine. As you gaze into the bright Apothican Sun, you feel the sense you are only a fragment of something much larger. As you explore the map, the music plays ever so well on your emotions. As I walk through Shangri-La, I am treated to the epic tone of Paraphony, Shangri-La's loading screen music, but even as the Apothicon passes overhead leaving me in its shadow, the music fits my feelings at that moment. The music in Revelations is done so well, and is made so authentic as each area has its own unique entrance music, round change music, and game over music. It feels like a dream where you are passing through your own childhood memories as an adult.

Revelations was, perhaps rightfully, criticized for being made up of almost entirely reused content. The wonder weapons, specialist weapon, shield, lil' arnies, margwas, parasites, and Panzers are all reused and seemingly crammed together with a mishmash of sections from nostalgic maps of the past. However, from a modern lens, I think it utilizes these features very well. It dawned on me today that this map feels like a very well done custom fan map due to all the reused enemy types and locations. In a way, Revelations is a fan map. Made for the fans by the developers who are fans themselves. It is lovingly crafted to be a fun, almost sandbox-like experience that evokes your beloved memories of the past. It may not work for everyone, but it is a noble effort.

61af9208 6eaa 4bd6 8110 b6f8d08a2972

This map is perhaps one of the easiest of all time, even being the only map I've ever reached round 100 on! Yet today, I did not find myself bored after nearly two hours and 40 rounds. This is because I spent a majority of the match inside Nacht, which has a radio that plays tons of tracks from across Zombies. Nacht is a very tight training area, but with a thundergun and Apothican Servant I did not run into too much issue, and so I proceeded to just have some all-out fun slaying zombies to the beat of some classic Zombies tunes. I genuinely wish more maps had this feature, or at least the ability to replay songs, because it adds so much to the map and keeps me from getting bored. Unfortunately the featured song, The Gift, is not on the radio so cannot be replayed, but listening to it in the match nearly brought me to tears with what I know about the ending and Samantha's journey.

I did not even attempt the Easter Egg quest, because I believe it is one of the worst alongside Gorod Krovi. In an attempt to thwart first day solving of the quest, the steps are made to be unfun and tedious, and I am glad BO4 zombies learned a lesson, for the most part. The story of Revelations is somewhat controversial, and it especially was at the time. We just can't seem to get an ending we can all agree on can we? Looking back, I am not so bothered by it, but at the time I was more confused than anything.

Today's game ended in a strange, somewhat cinematic way. After reaching round 40 I decided to let myself die in the corner as Where Are We Going? was coming to a close. I had also activated a Shadowman wisp, and he spoke to me as I died, and even on the Game Over screen, telling me I have purpose... how very inspirational, Shadowman.

• Moderators

Blood of the Dead

Spoiler

After the end of Revelations, the comic series, the release of the timeline, and Zombies Chronicles, you could tell Treyarch was setting up for something, but just what that was, we were unsure of. Then in May 2018, we finally knew for a fact that the Aether storyline was back. With the lack of a campaign in the upcoming Black Ops 4, surely that means more development time will be put into Zombies than ever before, right? The game is set to launch with four maps! They're also introducing a new storyline to sink our teeth into along with Aether! Zombies is getting expanded with more game modes, an expanded loadout and ranking system, factions! I remember the fervor among the Zombies community at the time eagerly anticipating the new game despite all the backlash it was receiving from the rest of the Internet. Surely nothing could go wrong, right?

3eba01da 32d5 415a bdab 89f0aec94ad9

If I were a clickbaiting Youtuber, I might say something like "Blood of the Dead almost singlehandedly killed the Zombies community". That wouldn't be true, of course. This community has seen its fair share of downtime and game issues and yet it has stuck together. But Blood of the Dead, I would agree, failed to meet expectations, however high they were. Returning to it today, I was optimistic I could find some redemption as I had been avoiding it since I completed the Easter Egg. Things start strong with an excellently crafted cutscene beginning the broken cycle. The music and facial expressions from Richtofen gives you a real sense of worry as he comes to realize things are not as they should be while arriving at Alcatraz.

Combining this cutscene with the absolutely beautiful Where Are We Going? music video released shortly before release, you get the sense you are now on a dark, twisted journey through Hell, doomed to die and come back again and again much like the original Mob of the Dead. However, there is this strange dissonance that I have a hard time pinning down. On one hand, as you pass through the prison and hear iconic, remixed tracks that evoke this sense of despair, this feeling is  somewhat lost as Primis begins to speak. The conversations that Primis have are excellently written, as are all of their lines, but something just is not right. The Mobsters of MotD can be loud-mouthed and crack jokes, but they also have many quiet moments where they reflect on their place here. Their reactions are so very human and fit the narrative that they are trapped in a cycle. I played as Dempsey, and had I not watched the music video I may not have even known they are supposed to be trapped in a cycle here. Besides Richtofen, none of the characters seem to treat Alcatraz as any different than their other adventures, and so the tone of the map falls flat. It is strange, because in the final cutscene, this spirit returns and things begin to make sense again.

Ae0d185d be1f 42e0 8016 cba54e1d8de5

In terms of gameplay, Blood the Dead is worse than Mob of the Dead in just about every way, in my opinion. I detest the map's new layout, and I think it fits awfully with the new BO4 spawn rates. Getting across the map is a chore and several areas that were key in Mob just are not as important anymore and I rarely find myself in them. The grenades you spawn with, the Hell's Retriever, and the Monkey Bombs taking up one slot essentially means the only real reason to have the Retriever is for doing quest steps, because it is noticeably weaker here and other equipment would serve you far better. Mob's tightness worked because the spawn rates and run speeds of zombies were more reasonable, and the afterlife system gave you a decent buffer to keep things from being overly difficult. I feel like my shield breaks every single round as training anywhere is bound to get it hit over and over again, which is incredibly annoying as the shield is so key to the quest. For this reason I did not bother trying to continue the main quest after finding the first bird. Blood's easter egg is up there with some of the worst.

Maybe it sounds like I hate Blood of the Dead, but I don't. It's more... a lukewarm feeling. I think Treyarch set themselves up for failure trying to reinvent a map so beloved by the community, and we set ourselves up for failure getting our expectations so high. I can't say I had much fun today, only getting to round 30 to complete a daily challenge. It is really disappointing, and I would not be shocked if this map turned many fans away from Black Ops 4. However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and we will discuss this very soon...

As I said, I survived until round 30, backing myself into the Warden's Ritual Chamber until I finally died.

• Moderators

Classified

Spoiler

With Blood of the Dead being widely panned, and the numerous bugs in the overall game, as well as the, frankly unfortunate lukewarm reception to the Chaos story, Black Ops 4's launch should have been a lot worse. But in my eyes, there was one new Aether map that managed to solidify itself as one of my all-time favorites. The phrase is a cliche, but Classified really is a love letter to Black Ops Zombies fans. I remember hearing they were going to be remaking "Five", one of my all time favorites, this time with the Ultimis crew. I knew this map would be the first I would play, just to see if it lives up to the original. It somehow managed to exceed expectations. It fits right in with the Black Ops Zombies maps in terms of story and character, and it is nice to see the voice actors being able to slip back in to their older roles as if no time at all had passed. I was afraid that without the crew present in "Five", Classified would be lacking in charm, yet it delivers in spades.

872bc6ca f215 4290 8101 bf88f8b52226 

Right from the intro cutscene, the most unique in our history, you know that the tone of this map will be a far cry from recent, more serious installments. The Jazz music evokes that Cold War aesthetic we love so much from Black Ops as a whole. It manages to pay excellent tribute to the original while also adding to it and having its own unique identity, to the point where I can view "Five" and Classified as two distinct maps. It also excellently bridges the gap between Shangri-La and Moon, providing much-desired context about the state of the world in the Zombies universe at the time, giving details about the mysterious Broken Arrow, and finally answering what happened to Ultimis after Moon. The storytelling, much like the map itself, hearkens back to the old days in a very meaningful, fun way. Classified also fits the very arcadey feel of Black Ops 4 Zombies with its increased speed very well, and because the map is small enough I never find myself bored trying to find something like I am in Blood of the Dead.

D39c8f2a df58 4499 b907 c4c163910489

If I did have to complain about something, maybe it's the lack of Pentagon Thief, and addition of Hellhounds. By this point, Hellhounds are a bit overdone, and their BO4 iteration is beyond annoying and unfun to fight. Surprisingly, Nova Crawlers are not that bad in this game, but Hellhounds easily make up for them in annoyance factor.

Fun was had training in the War Room and at Groom Lake with the new and improved Winter's Howl. I appreciate that this game has the option to get the Wonder Weapons from the box or from a small side-quest, but Classified's is a little annoying in Solo since it requires you to stand still and shoot tiny numbers, but, I digress. The Howl is still not too overpowered and just a lot of fun to use. I think Classified may be one of the best, if not the best designed map in Black Ops 4.

I ended up cornering myself trying to listen to Samantha on the phone, dying with my back to the wall on round 29.

• Moderators

Alpha Omega

Spoiler

Alpha Omega released at a very... negative time in the Zombies community. The Chaos story just wasn't sticking with fans, and that is unfortunate. Glitches and predatory monetization plagued and still plagues the game. All this comes with the leaked knowledge that a "remake" of Nuketown Zombies was coming, but now we knew it would be a part of the Black Ops pass. Many were understandably confused and put off by the idea of another remake, especially one of Nuketown. However, Classified to me proved that Treyarch are capable of taking something not as beloved and transforming it into an entirely different experience that can be enjoyed separately. Alpha Omega did not disappoint in that regard.

16b266c5 68cd 4c18 bbd6 ede99314a258

One of the biggest draws to this map for me was ability to play as both the Primis and Ultimis crews at the same time. As someone who has been following both of these crews for so long and imagining the dialogue that could potentially be had between the two wildly different groups, I was extremely eager to hear Treyarch's play on that very idea. I can't even imagine the amount of time that went into writing this dialogue by Craig Houston and the rest of the team. It was incredible to see them come together for the first time.

Nuketown has always been an average gameplay experience for me, and lacking in much context about its importance to the story. Alpha Omega thankfully continues Classified's methods of storytelling and contextualizing the Cold War in the Zombies universe. Some may not like the amount of "fan service" present in Alpha Omega, and boy is there a lot, but it is so enjoyable to me to hear from TEDD, Marlton, Russman, and the Avogadro again, along with the return of Pernell, and, of all people Peter McCain. This backstory surrounding Camp Edward is so ludicrously over-the-top and I love it. Rushmore is one of my new favorite characters in Zombies with his bonafide love and dedication to the American way. He is not motivated by power or any form of control. His only goal is upholding the goals of Broken Arrow and protecting the United States of America. It is hilarious all of the references to the Cold War and patriotic sayings that he spouts at every turn, and he is a joy to hear every time I play.

Alpha Omega's gameplay is a mixed bag for me, however. I enjoy playing above ground where the spaces are a little more manageable, but the bunker tends to be a bit labrynthian and too tight in some cases. I like the ability to input codes in order for Rushmore to help you out, and the new Ray Gun Mk 2 variants, though having to stand still to input codes and to vent the gas can be very irritating due to the speed of the game and insistence of pushing through the rounds as fast as possible. It's like Black Ops 4 Zombies wants to feel more arcadey and fast-paced, while also keeping the many side-quests from the past that require precision or standing still, which leads to frustration. I think if the last zombie of the round was not always a sprinter, I would have a much better time completing quests in this game.

2fcd6342 238e 4448 a19a 781a553e1911

Speaking of quests, I attempted going through the main quest of Alpha Omega after neglecting to do so on Blood of the Dead, because AO's is slightly less tedious. The abundance of code-typing got a little annoying playing in Solo, but was fairly manageable. However, as my patience dwindled, so too did my self-revives and I ended up failing near the end. I actually don't think it is that bad of a quest, but as I said the speed of the game makes it an extremely unfun experience in Solo. Even in co-op there is one player who much run a single zombie around while the others do what needs to be done, and that is not fun. To quote Reggie Fils-aime, "If it's not fun, why bother?" As pretentious as that might sound, after playing this game for nearly ten years, approaching half of my life, dedicating so much time and focus into doing a quest is becoming less and less fun and my desire to do them is reaching an all-time low. I suppose it is poetic that this comes at the end of Aether and as I approach a new chapter in my life. I respect the craft that goes into them, but often I have forgotten the real charm lies in the simple round-to-round gameplay and the people I've met along the way. 

While Alpha Omega is still somewhat new, I believe it will still hold up in several years time, and I look forward to returning in the future, as I look back on an entirely different time in my life, and can appreciate how far the game and myself have come. More on that as I play Tag der Toten for the first time, very soon... Today's game had me down on round 27 as I tried to escort Peter McCain around the map, and I was trapped behind the yellow house.

• Moderators

Tag der Toten

Spoiler

This is it: The end of the line. A culmination of eleven years and close to half of my life. Zombies has been an incredibly influential part of my life, and has been there at each new chapter in my journey to adulthood. Black Ops Zombies was there for me when I moved to a new state with a new school, and managed to bring me and my friends at the time closer together. Black Ops 2 released just as I was entering my first year of high school, and continued to shape who I am and the friends I had. Black Ops 3 released in my Senior Year of High School, with the DLC season lasting into my first weeks of college. Today, I played the final map of the Aether story, Tag der Toten, as I enter my final year of college and a brand new chapter in my life. My future is uncertain, but Zombies has been, and always will be with me. I hope that, one day, I when I'm old and my skills have worn, I can return through Aether once again, and cherish this time capsule of my formative years.

D71978e9 0795 4582 af52 76619453cda7

Now that I'm done being sappy, what did I think of my first playthrough of the map? I absolutely loved it. The map feels in no way like a ripoff of Call of the Dead, and has its own unique identity. Treyarch tends to go all out with stuff to do in their final DLCs, and Tag is no exception, with three wonder weapons, each with a side-quest to get them, Samantha Music Boxes, the totem challenges, the Golden Pack-a-Punch, and flingers and ziplines to get all around the map. The map's design is unique in how many ways to get around there are. Certain areas have underwater tunnels or platforms to jump onto the navigate faster. The ziplines and flingers provide easy transport pretty much anywhere. The snowballs are also a neat little tool for performing all sorts of functions. Having Pablo in the lighthouse providing rewards for your actions helps keep you immersed as you build up your loadout. The new Wunderwaffe is absolutely EXQUISITE, managing to be a throwback while feeling completely original and oh so satisfying.

I honestly don't have much to complain about yet. But, the biggest gripe has to be the reintroduction of sprinters. Black Ops 4 was already overly fast, but sprinters make things even more frustrating. I would also say that the upper lab area is a bit underutilized. Apart from turning on power and acquiring music boxes I didn't find myself up there often. Also the Tundra Gun is pretty terrible. A Thunder Gun that damages you, requires you to aim, and requires multiple shots, all while existing in the same map as a regular Thunder Gun? No thank you. But I appreciate its inclusion.

Aa77cf35 ec2d 445f 8097 0ba30618781a

I have not done the Easter Egg quest yet but I have seen the cutscene and have had the week to mull it over. I love it as an ending to this journey, and more specifically, these characters. Zombies has never been about a big, grand battle against a major villain or anything like that. Events like the Great War happen in the background of our story, and we experience only stepping stones between these big moments. I can question all day why this question or that question was not answered with this map, but at the end of the day I am left satisfied and still in love with this story enough to want to uncover more of its secrets. It makes me both sad and happy to know Primis and Ultimis died believing they were going to save the universe, and really, they did. I can understand how some might say Victis' departure was unfair, and I understand that. But they disappeared swiftly and doing what they always do, serving forces that they don't quite understand. I could go on about he symbolism, the raw emotion that the cutscene left me with, but there are only so many words I can type here before I am overstaying my welcome.

Today's game ended on round 39. I knew I needed to end the game soon after doing so well and learning the layout of the map, so I swam into an underwater tunnel and held out there until my demise.

Thank you to everyone in CoDz for the support in this journey, and thank you Treyarch for the last nine years of my life, and for the future you've given me.

Oh, and... 

One last thing... 

THE END

• Moderators

As I've followed and read all the updates in this thread, your last post makes me kinda nostalgic as well. I still haven't made any sort of "Thank You All" post or something, but if there is one thing I enjoy about this game mode is that it brought me together with so many so nice folks. Every day I have a good laugh, a good talk or good thought thanks to you guys. When saying it is a family I really mean it is one. I am unfamiliar with further online forums or sites, but I think this is something fairly unique. Something you wouldn't get either, if you weren't included in it. I remember me discovering this site, reading through all those threads including Hollow Earth, ancient mythos and Nazi conspiracies: What a weird bunch. Still, I found myself reading it several evenings on my phone, instead of watching television of something. I am gratefull to myself that I eventually convinced me creating an account and posted that Derailed Train post. I am even more gratefull to others who reacted so kindly and open to all my questions and comments, something that made me stay here for a li'l longer. And eventually, y'all swallowed me. CoDZ assisted me in my English, online social conversations, outside-the-box thinking and plain knowledge about the world. It raised my interest in ancient mythos of which I now can say I really have a weakness for, and I am even honest when I say CoDZ played a role in getting introduced to neurobiology, a master study I want to follow over two years and most likely, my future.

You've got those snapchat addicts. Facebook addicts. Instagram addicts. But I am glad my online addiction is this place, between you my friends. Dankjulliewel

Archived