Dempsey's wife revealed?

Electric Jesus

So, there's a special conversation you can trigger between Ultimis Dempsey and Peter McCain if you linger on the second-to-last step in the AO egg, and you have that Dempsey in your game. The conversation goes as follows:

Dempsey: "That really you McCain? I gotta know for sure. Tell me something only the two of us would know."

Peter: "You sure you want me to do that Tank? we go way back. I could embarrass the heck out of you if I wanted to." 

Dempsey: "Ok, let's keep it cryptic. Me and Phoebe. Sum it up in three words."

Peter: "I. Forgive. You." 

Dempsey: "Can't say I'm surprised. However mad you were at the time, I knew you'd come around. You've always been the forgiving type."

Peter: "...And discrete. See how I didn't embarrass you by telling everyone exactly who Phoebe is? So Tank, I need to know one thing. Did we beat group 935? Did we wipe their whole rotten operation off the face of the earth?"

Dempsey: "We wiped a lot of things off the face of the earth. It's complicated. I want you to know that I tried, Peter. We really tried. We came lookin' for you. Me, John Banana, Smokey..."

Peter: "I know, Tank. I know."

Mkay, so it seems to me that Peter is insinuating that he once had feelings for a woman named Phoebe, but that Dempsey "stole her away" in some capacity. Not only that, but I don't think this was just some random throwaway line about one of Dempsey's past indiscretions to establish past beef with Peter. Peter specifically says "See how I didn't embarrass you by telling everyone exactly who Phoebe IS?" the word "Is" is key, because it implies she has some active current relation to one of them. If it was just a minor insignificant past girlfriend one of them had, Peter would have said "who Phoebe WAS." Granted if she was their age in the 40s she's probably dead by 2025, but she's still present in their minds seemingly. 

But as it stands, it seems like one of two things are possible. On one hand maybe Phoebe was Peter's wife, and Dempsey had an affair with her, but they got over it and she remains married to Peter. Alternately, it could be that she left Peter for Dempsey, remaining HIS wife to this day. I do remember back in the day, maybe on Moon, Dempsey saying "I gotta get one of these for my 5-year-old!" other than that, which might have just been a joke, this conversation is potentially the first ever reference to Dempsey's family. 

95bjpkt0dgc31.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Interesting suggestions. Brains to you for thinking deep into this one. I didn’t like how they felt they had to make Dempsey and McCain know each other, but the dark implications you draw out of it are profound. Especially the affair suggestion. As dirty of an idea as that is, it’s just painfully believable for these two guys. I can see that. It has the kind of realistic vibe that Sam and Maxis’ relationship had back in Der Riese, or the feelings that surround the knowledge that somewhere inside of OG Richtofen, a good person had been buried beneath a madness he couldn’t control. This subtlety of storytelling is what keeps bringing me back to this story. 

Archived