RadZakpak

The Order of Forgotten Mysteries #6: Icarus

Hello, and welcome back to the Order of Forgotten Mysteries. Our pal @anonymous is on vacation, so today I will be your guide through the next forgotten mystery!

While Alpha Omega is blowing all of our minds with so many new revelations about old parts of the story... there are some loose threads still unaccounted for as the Aether Story meets its conclusion. One such thread we will be discussing today Icarus, Albert Arlington's plane from Mob of the Dead. More specifically, we are going to be discussing its mysterious appearances throughout Black Ops 3.

The Appearances

Mob of the Dead

Icarus was makeshift plane devised by none other than Alcatraz's local con artist AND comic book artist, Albert "The Weasel" Arlington. Sometime during their stay on Alcatraz Island, Sal Deluca, Finn O'Leary, and Billy Handsome attempted to follow Albert on a quest to escape The Rock. Unfortunately, Icarus failed to take flight, and the plan was ruined.

The name Icarus was given to the plane based on a comic book that The Weasel was creating during his stay at Alcatraz. It is also a reference to the Greek character of the same name, who, in the myth, attempted to escape imprisonment using a pair of wings given to him by his father. Only, Icarus flew too close to the sun, and the wax keeping his wings together came undone, sending him to his death... a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy there, Al.

Anyway, Albert was murdered by the other mobsters, and they were executed for their crimes. Inside Mob of the Dead's cycle, Al and the Mobsters relive the same night again and again, building the plane, crashing the plane, and dying while fighting the undead. Icarus is central to this cycle and the journey of the Mobsters.

latest?cb=20130705171333

Shadows of Evil

Miraculously, Icarus appears once again in Shadows of Evil, flying through the sky after the players have completed the Easter Egg. Why, exactly? We do know that Icarus and thus the Mobsters of Mob of the Dead live in Dimension 63, the same Dimension as the four cursed survivors of Shadows of Evil. It does not seem that the Shadows of Evil crew are trapped in a cycle, but they are in an alternate version of Morg City corrupted by the Shadowman. They are all marked with a curse that keeps them alive, and forced to fight the undead. But what could Icarus have to do with this map, and specifically the end of the easter egg?

maxresdefault.jpg

The Giant

Icarus appears once again, this time, however, it has landed on the roof of Teleporter B of The Giant. This is even more confusing than the last appearance. Who was its pilot, and where are they now? The Giant takes place in a fracture of the Original Timeline: a far cry from Dimension 63. Its reappearance is no coincidence.

maxresdefault.jpg

Zetsubou No Shima

Zetsubou has a variety of planes flying through the air at any given time, a majority being Japanese war planes. Another plane is a massive cargo plane that is shot from the sky by Primis. But one plane in particular stands out, that being Icarus.

What is unique about this appearance is that it is one of many planes passing overhead, and also that the planes pass through portals as they arrive and disappear from the map. It seems this Island has caused a great deal of atmospheric rifts to occur. Ciphers mention freak atmospheric events, the disappearance of the explorers Brock and Gary due to their plane's destruction from an atmospheric anomaly, and Peter McCain jumping over the Rising Sun Facility into an aurora borealis that would eventually bring him to Gorod Krovi.

maxresdefault.jpg

In Conclusion

As far as we can tell, there are no other appearances after Zetsubou No Shima of the plane Icarus, outside of a drawing of it on the official timeline. Icarus does not even appear in Blood of the Dead. Interestingly, however, The Weasel did finally get his wings:

Spectral-Bird-NoahJ456.jpg

So what sense can be made of Icarus' three mysterious appearances? Why is each so unique? Who is flying that plane? How did it escape Alcatraz?

Pre-Blood of the Dead, my running theory regarding the plane was that it was being piloted by Primis minus Richtofen.

Evidence for:

- Its appearance in The Giant was the biggest tipping point to me. In The Giant it is landed, a sizable distance away from the Teleporter area where Primis comes together for the introduction cutscene where Ultimis Richtofen is shot. We know that Richtofen was traveling across dimensions in the time between Origins and The Giant using a teleporter located in the House, operated by Maxis. However, we do not know how the rest of Primis was travelling. Dempsey mentions having traveled to many places including Brazil and the Moon. It seems logical to me to conclude that Primis used the plane to travel, and because of its appearance in purgatory and The Weasel breaking the cycle, it has the ability to travel across dimensions.

- It flying over Shadows could be a sign that Primis have been trying to follow Richtofen across dimensions, and just missed his appearance at the end of the easter egg. They seem to have shown up at the Giant trying to stop Ultimis Richtofen from allowing Primis Richtofen to step through the teleporter, implying they've been tracking him.

Evidence against:

- Its appearance in Zetsubou does not really tie into this theory. Surely they would have remembered flying over the island once they return to it, right? Why would they go there in the first place? It could be that they were only there briefly as they passed through the portals, and it was only a bump in the road as they searched for their destination. For all we know, due to Zetsbou's strange atmospheric events, it may be like the midway point between dimensional travel.

- How would Primis have acquired this plane without travelling to Alcatraz? They make it pretty clear they don't recognize Alcatraz when they do eventually go to it.

Now, however, I would be more inclined to say that the plane is being controlled by the spirit of Albert Arlington. We know in Blood of the Dead he does eventually want to help Primis break the cycle and escape, and he is attracted to the Kronorium in some way by trying to steal it. It seems he knows somewhat about the reality of his situation, and due to breaking his own cycle he can send his plane through other dimensions and times to explore. Through this journey he may have learned a great deal about Primis and now realizes how important they are. This would explain why every plane appearance doesn't seem to have anyone piloting it. Also because he is a spirit who has broken the cycle, it would be a good explanation for it being able to travel. In a way, Al has been watching over us, wanting to help.

On 7/10/2019 at 7:21 PM, RadZakpak said:

Only, Icarus flew too close to the sun, and the wax keeping his wings together came undone, sending him to his death... a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy there, Al.

Ahahaha, exactly my thoughts. 

Neat post here, friendo! To me Icarus remains one big questionmark, mainly because I simply do not understand the events of Mob, Shadows and Blood, though I noticed you excluded one reference to the plane. In Gorod Krovi, a cipher could be found, written by the one who was flying in it:

"It was a strange flight, the plane crashed. We passed through time and space, in a way, flying over areas that shouldn't have been there. Hmm, there was no sign of any remains. I do not know where it landed, honest."

While the identity of the aviator remains unknown, we can get some intel out of this:

• He speaks of a 'we'
  • The location where the flyers are landed is not necasserily the same as the Giant, where the plane crashed.
  • The person is aware of timetravel
  • The person is aware they are flying through fractures, and the fact that they should be undone

The last two points remind me of Maxis or Richthofen, the latter in particular, possibly among with Primis or Ultimis. The plane originates from Alcatraz, more specific, the Cycle Trap Realm. But yeah, you mention Primis not recognizing Alcatraz upon entering it, which makes it hard for them having obtained the plane. 

I am fairly unknown with the events of Blood. What is Al's role in this? Does Icarus and the Golden Gate appear in this map? How are the events of Mob connected with Blood?

11 minutes ago, anonymous said:

Ahahaha, exactly my thoughts. 

Neat post here, friendo! To me Icarus remains one big questionmark, mainly because I simply do not understand the events of Mob, Shadows and Blood, though I noticed you excluded one reference to the plane. In Gorod Krovi, a cipher could be found, written by the one who was flying in it:

"It was a strange flight, the plane crashed. We passed through time and space, in a way, flying over areas that shouldn't have been there. Hmm, there was no sign of any remains. I do not know where it landed, honest."

While the identity of the aviator remains unknown, we can get some intel out of this:

• He speaks of a 'we'
  • The location where the flyers are landed is not necasserily the same as the Giant, where the plane crashed.
  • The person is aware of timetravel
  • The person is aware they are flying through fractures, and the fact that they should be undone

The last two points remind me of Maxis or Richthofen, the latter in particular, possibly among with Primis or Ultimis. The plane originates from Alcatraz, more specific, the Cycle Trap Realm. But yeah, you mention Primis not recognizing Alcatraz upon entering it, which makes it hard for them having obtained the plane. 

I am fairly unknown with the events of Blood. What is Al's role in this? Does Icarus and the Golden Gate appear in this map? How are the events of Mob connected with Blood?

Surprisingly there isn’t a whole lot related directly to Mob. But Al appears as a ghostly seagull that steals the Kronorium, but ends up. helping Primis defeat the Warden. Richtofen also calls two ghosts that try to restrain the Warden Sal and Finn. So it seems the mobster’s ghosts still roam the island. But there is no sighting of Icarus the plane at all.