The Order of Forgotten Mysteries #2: the Mayan calendar

anonymous

• Moderators

Hello again, and welcome to the second episode of the Order of Forgotten Mysteries! Its been a week and I have to be fair- you guys really amazed me with your great comments last time, and I hope your creative minds are able to handle this thread this week as well. Because I promise, this’ll be a tough one. Brace yourselves!

This time we will go back to the, in my opinion, most overlooked map, including by myself. Dress yourself warm, we are going to Siberia: Call of the Dead. Up to today, this map still holds so many neglected mysteries: odd cravings in the wall, flashing and moving lights in the distance, unexplained hidden papers, unsolved possible morse codes, weird paintings and an interesting backstory. At the end of 1940, Group 935 established a research station at the meteorite impact site near the Tunguska river. What is an interesting note, is that Group 935 continued their research and experiments here even after the spring of 1945, which marked the fall of Nazi-Germany. There are conspiracy theories how Die Glocke experiments were transferred to the Arctic, but the desolate Siberia could be a potential location as well. While Der Riese was gone, Group 935 survived and thrived. Even places like the Wittenau Sanatorium, aka Verruckt, seemed to have activity, as the US Marines were captured there by Group 935 scientists in September, 1945, five months after Nazi-Germany’s surrender. The container ship in Call of the Dead might have been “Group 935’s Ark”, a ship filled with surviving members, equipment, lab material and...testsubjects. They continued the development of an undead army, possibly stored in the containers. This is from a radio in CotD:

Richthofen: “Dr. Maxis says the key to unlocking the human mind will be more easily discovered on someone who isn't dead yet. I am not convinced. The army is stored until I can fix this, this trust barrier.”

The Army is stored…

So far the backstory talks. We are getting at our main discussion item, something entirely different. Near the room where our heroes are trapped, an odd “map” with weird symbols can be found. Credits to @RadZakpak and @Schrödinger for the pictures.

527e2a63-017a-4370-953e-a47aa2116d2e.PNGDZah-E8sRaDDr13NWw_xWxurg2aPWvoGJATEFHhk

Now this might look like a Ludo board, but it actually is a Mayan calendar. Yeah, one of those so famously for predicting the end of the world. Or maybe this one does so as well. The Black Ops 2 pre-order poster featured a Misty standing in a Post-Apokalyptic landscape with a small 1221 on it: 12/21 2012 was the year the Maya calculated the Apocalypse.

“The countdown for the zombie apocalypse has begun”    “Ragnarok”     “Brimstone to Damnation”.

The deity Itzamna is frequently credited by bringing the Mayan calendar is to the Mayans. It consists of a series of timecalculations that together document every day from their current Timecycle that started in 3114 BC. Some important cycles are the one of 9 days (their week), the one of 365 days (their year) and the one of 52 years (their calendercycle).

Some were already aware of the Aztec’s involvement in the story. @Lizizadolphin noted that on the Moon loading screen, one can read Aztec day signs, namely Cipactli (crocodile, east), Ehecatl (wind, north), Cali (house, west), Cuetzpalin (lizard, south) and Coatl (snake, east). The Nuketown loading screen features a candy with a part of the name Mictlantecuhtli on it, an Aztec deity of the Underworld, and @caljitsu also recently posted a thread about the Aztec’s connection with Blood of the Dead. But it is interesting to see now that the Mayans, another Ancient Mesoamerican civilization, has it’s influences in the story as well.

When the calendar is found in Call of the Dead, the paper is torn and there are 4 small papers with a cipher on it (2, 4, 6 and 7) scattered through the map that exactly fit in the holes.

JBlLQWync2NnJS8BmXRW0qmHntegR7aEoE1AeMppVkT8uE2GFM3nSpjjDQhAQcoIs4dxDotv2RvEbWFA

This is how the broken calendar look like    This is how the fixed calendar looks like

A Moon is seen in the centre, which is, after Der Riese’s Eclipse and Ascension’s “Luna” step, the third reference to the Moon. “52 Años” can be read at the end, a reference to the Mayan Calendar repeating every 52 Solar years. “Astral” can be read under the calendar, a word relating to a non-physical realm of existence in which the physical human body is said to have a counterpart. A spiritual world. Furthermore, a lot of Spanish writing is all over the place, mosty barely readable. Translated, I have quoted some of them:

“-something illegible- 7 de la noche”

De la noche means “at night” More I cannot make of this.

“When the six -something illegible- are together the power will be ours - D Jano”

Holy shit am I the only one who gets goosebumps here? Remember the ‘Beware the Six’ from Kino der Toten? I’ve always thought that sentence was something Kino-related, but the Six, whatever it are, might have a broader importance in the story. And why is it on this Maya calendar? Who wrote this? Since it is Spanish, could it be the captured Pablo Marinus? Or does it merely relate to the Central-American origins of the Maya that now speak Spanish? And who or what is D Jano? And why is Lenne able to make me wanna eat a spleen? What are your thoughts?

Link to previous Order of Forgotten Mysteries

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Sorry for the late reply, I wanted to be fully invested in reading when I had the time. Some spectacular research and this is a secret I had no idea about. 

The numbers I am unsure about, but I want to look at this from the perspective of the developers as they wrote the radios and story that would go into this map, and after that through a modern lens. First off, this is the first map we hear about Pablo Marinus in, albeit unnamed. He is mentioned offhandedly as a Mexican test subject that Richtofen accidentally killed, causing him to need Dempsey as a subject. Given that he is an unnamed Mexican at this point, and this poster is one of the only Mayan/Spanish secrets we've seen in the series, present in a map nowhere near any Spanish-speaking country, I think it is right on the money to say that Pablo is related to this. He may very well be D Jano. Why? Well, he didn't have a name at the time, and I wouldn't be surprised if no one told Blundell's team about this tiny little easter egg when they decided to name him around Origins time. But I think even today, it still could be interpreted as being Pablo. We know from the timeline Pablo was a spy infiltrating Group 935 before being captured in September 1944. It's possible Doctor Jano, or some other first name starting with a D, was his alias while working undercover.

Looking at what we know now about Pablo, I think there is even more evidence to support him being the owner of this poster and the one who wrote on it.

My name is Pablo or at least I think it is or... was I don't know anymore. I have been locked away, held prisoner in this cell for many months by Germans scientists. They keep experimenting on me, pumping me full of some blue liquid. I think it is responsible for the repeated visions I have been having which I swear look and feel real. In this vision, my name is Pablo Marinus and I am a knight coming back from the crusades. I fight in a great battle against strange demon like creatures who are trying to devour the Earth. At one point, it appears I am doomed, trapped in the tentacles of a great three headed beast when suddenly four knights decimate it with magical elemental staves, saving me from certain death. There are otherworldly creatures that fight on our side against the demons. The creepy thing is that the sigils on their tunics resemble the one I noticed on stones here at the castle as I was being brought to my cell. I just hope I can eventually find a way to escape this place.

On August 1st, 1945, Pablo is sent to the Siberian facility, and then exactly a year after capture in September 1945 dies during a spleen removal. This journal he writes about visions of the Great War was written only a couple of months into being captured. It is very possible and likely during the remaining time that Pablo began to lose his sanity from the constant torture and 115 injections. He may very well have seen the horrific future in TranZit and onward, where the Earth is burning, and related this vision to his knowledge of the end of the world in Mayan culture. Who are the six he speaks of? That, I am unsure of.

Definitely loving these threads; Such great work and interesting discussion.

• Moderators

Thanks for the great reply, and I'm glad you have such clear thoughts. I forgot Pablo had a kinda odd background, so to say, as I am still not 100% sure what the Developers wanted to say to us concerning him. In 1294, a knight named sir Pablo Marinus is fighting the Apothicans in Europa, while in 1944, one Pablo Marinus is captured as a Mexican spy by Group 935. The 1900s Pablo has visions of the 1200s Pablo due to exposure of Element 115. This could explain his visions of another time (or perhaps, another universe), but it still wouldn't explain why there is a Pablo living in the 700 years earlier as well. A nod to Reincarnation and the eternity of our Soul maybe? Perhaps, or the 1900s Pablo sees flashes of his later self. You see, Pablo Marinus is not really a Medieval European name. I know this is the weakest possible argument, but could this mean Pablo was born as a Mexican in the 20th century, and somehow travel to the 13th century where he becomes a knight of some sort? The timeline proves that his "flashbacks" were real, and not merely a dillusion due 115 injections.

Anyway, yes, I could see him observing flashes of the Fractured Earth in Maxis's Wasteland as well. He could very well have written this on the calendar. However, it is a fact that this Maya calendar was hanging inside a Group 935 facility. Is there any logic behind this? Perhaps Richthofen, or another scientist that was interested in ancient cultures, the Welteis, etc, was studying this. There have been plenty of Nazi expeditions to investigate the unexplored, hoping to find proof for their weird conspiracy/mythology-based theories. 

The Mayas were the most advanced astronomers of their time. They had accurately predicted Solar Eclipses hunderds of years before they actually occured.  They called them the chi'ibal kin: "To eat the sun", and is depicted as a serpent eating the Sun:

dresden-codex-solar-eclipse-glyph-snake-

In an Ancient Maya story, the power of a Solar Eclipse was used to increase potency of a most important ritual: Resurrecting the Jeweled Sky Tree in a temple that formed a portal to communicate with the Gods and ancestors. This version of a World Tree, called Wakah Chan Te by the Mayas, had its roots in the Underworld, its trunk rose through the Middleworld of earth, and its branches soared into the Upperworld of the cosmos. The story was said to take place around 650 CE, and interesting enough, historical records show that there was a Solar Eclipse crossing Guatemala on February 2, 650 CE...

• Moderators

I was browsing the subreddit and someone posted a screenshot of the way the steps for the easter egg are described in the code. Take a look here:66ro2s5oqs531.png

Some of the steps seem to have changed, but it specifically says this:

”These numbers can be found on the pieces of Vrill map found around the level.”

So we know the meaning of the numbers AND that this paper was referred to internally as a “Vrill map”. Now whoever wrote this does not seem to be very specific in a lot of places, calling Nikolai “the Russian” and the V-R11 the “human gun”.  Yet the paper must have been referred to as the Vrill map enough for it to be mentioned here. This further connects Mayan culture with the Vril-Ya, but I’m not sure what else to make of this.

• Moderators

@RadZakpak certainly interesting! They refer to Nikolai as the Russian, which he is. They refer to the Siberian Outpost to the Coast, which it is. If they refer to this Mayan calendar as 'the Vril map', is that what this is? 

As discussed in the first Order of Forgotten Mysteries, ancient Mesoamerican civilasations seem to have a lot of connections with the Vril Ya, and it could even be possible that Shangri La is located in Latin America instead of the Himalayas (despite having the gongs and the Naga statues). It is also believed by the Mayas that their calendar system was given to them by their 'Gods', so a Vrillian system maybe?

Also, @RichKiller has posted a thread on the Subreddit here. Though the Mayan part is possibly debunked (I'm not fully convinced yet, though, if it truly reads 'Mazers'. And Mazers indeed didn't crafted with diamant), it is nonetheless an interesting read. Anyone take a look if you feel like!

And as a last add, has anyone done the Call of the Dead easter egg quest? What is that part with the Vril map ciphers. Where do the characters use it for? If it is a security code of some sort, this might be why Pablo a.k.a D. Jano had temporary been escaped and wrote this code and all the other sentences down, only to be captured again moments later. Siberia provides its own ecological prison.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, anonymous said:

And as a last add, has anyone done the Call of the Dead easter egg quest? What is that part with the Vril map ciphers. Where do the characters use it for? If it is a security code of some sort, this might be why Pablo a.k.a D. Jano had temporary been escaped and wrote this code and all the other sentences down, only to be captured again moments later. Siberia provides its own ecological prison.

The numbers are used in the co-op easter egg. There are four dials in the lighthouse that must be set to these numbers, and they all affect each other. Once they are correct the beam of light from the submarine will shine through the center, allowing you to send the V-R11 human up and get the golden rod. So it is some sort of frequency that allows for objects to pass through the light. Maybe this Vrill map existed to help the scientists working with Vril, and Pablo later tampered with it and cut the numbers out hoping no one would ever find the golden rod? I'm not sure how the actual mechanics of the easter egg translate to what is actually happening here.

• Moderators

Hmm, remember how the Main Quests in those older maps actually made sense? Like, what you did was logical and there was a sciencific explanation behind everything. 

So what the fuck goes on in that Siberian outpost? ''Sacrificing'' a human to green light being emited by a U-boat gives you the Vril rod? If the numbers on a Vril map stand for a frequency, I could see the connection between the lightbeam and the Vril rod.

Some other applications of green light:

• The mystery box beam in Shi no Numa and Revelations (but probably due to gameplay only)
  • The green lantern in Shadows of Evil
  • The green portals around the skull cleaning ritual altars in Zetsubou no Shima, dispensing zombies (possibly gameplay as well)
  • The green light in Tranzit that makes the Denizens dig a hole through space and time

I also wonder how Richthofen knew about the pressence of the Vril rod in the facility, since it was not really present, like, it wasn't just laying there on a table. Instead, it seems to be rather beamed out of an electromagnetic pulse.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Schrödinger said:

When I sent you the torn calendar link, it featured the name of an aztec calendar similar : Tonalpohualli (Tochtli/rabbit=South, Calli/house=West, Tecpatl/flint=North/color of sacrifice, Acatl/reed=East/color of heaven)

Moreover, it is written "austral", not "astral" on that of COTD.

You're right, the calendar appears very similar to an Aztec, espessially the Tonalpohualli you linked. The odd thing is that it includes Mayan symbols (see Rad's close-up/scoped screenshot) and also the number '56': a number important for the Maya but not the Aztec. So some kind of mix between Maya and Aztec perhaps? Maybe the Vril were the inspiration for the calendars of both societies, thus the calendar is called Vril map in the script.

And what do you mean with the Aztec day signs you mentioned: are they observable in the CotD map as well or merely in the example link you mentioned (the Tonalpohualli). I find 'house', 'colour of sacrifice' and 'colour of heaven' sound remarkable.

Austral instead of astral (good note!). Seems like we are talking about the southern hemisphere now. But why?

Miss the Black Ops EE’s. 

The steps were hinted & the clues could be found in the map like mini Easter Eggs. 

Especially Call of the Dead. 

The 4 torn, coloured & numbered pieces of this Aztec map (as mentioned) scattered around the map.

(I swear I posted all of this in the CotD Zombies Library, but they are no longer in there? Must’ve rolled back to a previous time? I still have it all on a Word doc)

So small & hard to find. I think this EE step was solved without even finding these pieces?

The 4 paintings in the Lighthouse room showing the locations of the radios which where for a later step also. 

This is another great “Unsolved Mystery” topic & I don’t think it has ever been complete my decoded. 

I think it mainly was used to point out the “End of the World” which we later saw happen with the completion of the Moon EE. 

I always presumed Moon happened on the 21st Dec, 2012 as this legend assumes too. (Not sure if that’s correct it the Official timeline?)

This is the complete picture with the 4 torn pieces put back into place

Aztec%2052%20year%20Calendar%20-%20All%2

Similar image. @Schrödinger posted a link to above

sonnenrad-kalender_zps8a2zydxl.jpg

Torn Paper - Yellow 2

Yellow%202_zpshsvvvju9.png

Torn Paper - Orange 7

Orange%207_zpssj74tuel.png

Torn Paper - Purple 6

Purple%206_zps5z1dyefr.png

Torn Paper - Blue 4

Blue%204_zpsmehx6bid.png

This is a folder of all images relating to this Aztec Map

http://s856.photobucket.com/user/callofdutyzombieslibrary/library/Black Ops/Call of the Dead/Aztec Calendar

• Moderators

Thank you for the clarification. I already wondered what the four location paintings are for, but so apparently it is concerning a Quest step as well. Unfortunately, the events of Moon happen years later, in 2027. I agree that 2012 would be more fitting.

Also, weren't there Aztec symbols in Mob of the Dead as well? Or has the alcohol damaged my brain too bdly again? Anyway, @PINNAZ, you must know that something once posted by you reminded me of the subject which next Order of Forgotten Mysteries will discuss, coming wednesday. Stay tuned, comrade...

• Moderators
1 hour ago, anonymous said:

Unfortunately, the events of Moon happen years later, in 2027. I agree that 2012 would be more fitting.

Question is, what if Jimmy Z created the timeline? When would moon take place then?

I really don't like all the retconning Blundell has done.

Damn, I didn't know either for the paintings and yet it is by looking them closely that I found the letter that we speak in the other topic.

13 hours ago, anonymous said:

You're right, the calendar appears very similar to an Aztec, espessially the Tonalpohualli you linked. The odd thing is that it includes Mayan symbols (see Rad's close-up/scoped screenshot) and also the number '56': a number important for the Maya but not the Aztec. So some kind of mix between Maya and Aztec perhaps? Maybe the Vril were the inspiration for the calendars of both societies, thus the calendar is called Vril map in the script.

And what do you mean with the Aztec day signs you mentioned: are they observable in the CotD map as well or merely in the example link you mentioned (the Tonalpohualli). I find 'house', 'colour of sacrifice' and 'colour of heaven' sound remarkable.

Austral instead of astral (good note!). Seems like we are talking about the southern hemisphere now. But why?

I was talking about the real calendar to compare. Although there isn't totally the right colors, the ridiculously small signs seem to be the same, at least for Calli.

Autral at the bottom for the South because there is Boreal on top for the North... Orange. There should surely have been the other 2 cardinal points, as shown by the image of @PINNAZ(the one I posted is the only one I could find, I almost thought that the person who posted it on wikipedia was wrong), but it's torn...

5 hours ago, Lenne said:

Question is, what if Jimmy Z created the timeline? When would moon take place then?

I really don't like all the retconning Blundell has done.

More or less like that of Tac !

• Moderators

@Lenne I think there is a possibility that JimmyZ planned Moon to be on 21/12/2012: the Day that the Earth would end. See this for example:

On 6/12/2019 at 9:03 AM, anonymous said:

The Black Ops 2 pre-order poster featured a Misty standing in a Post-Apokalyptic landscape with a small 1221 on it: 12/21 2012 was the year the Maya calculated the Apocalypse.

Also, BO2 and its DLC's were releasesed in 2011 and 2012, so the game taking place in it's own time would be a neat idea. Die Rise features SDC zombies, though no one knows when the SDC was formed. For all we know, this could be easily be before 2012. Anyway, it doesnt matter anymore.

@Schrödinger that is interesting! For me, the one on the upside seems to be Calli (though that is odd since Calli is east and it is on the up/North side of the calendar) and Atl to the right (which fits since it means East). The rest is hard to see. Like you might know, there are daysigns on the Moon loading screen as well. Have you, by chance, any idea what their role in the calendar is? How they work?

Screenshot_20190624-210152.png

See under 'Sensational!' I tried image upscaling but all I can read is 'Aztec and Mayan calendar' and 'for magical purposes'. Also, why is it standing next to an image of the MPD frontcircle. Another Vril nod.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:57 PM, anonymous said:

@Schrödinger that is interesting! For me, the one on the upside seems to be Calli (though that is odd since Calli is east and it is on the up/North side of the calendar) and Atl to the right (which fits since it means East). The rest is hard to see. Like you might know, there are daysigns on the Moon loading screen as well. Have you, by chance, any idea what their role in the calendar is? How they work? 

Calli is West, but boreal just above has nothing to do here, it should have been in place of the torn part like austral to match with their good colors. I find the calendar posted by @PINNAZ and me only in French, when I search in English, it's the same name and functioning, but not at all the same shape and the same signs. This one starts with Cipactli/crocodile=Tonacatecuhtli/East, Ehecatl/wind=Quetzalcoatl/North, Calli/house=Tepeyollotl/West, Cuetzpalin/lizard=Huehuecoyotl/South, Coatl/snake=Chalchiuhtlicue/East and there are 15 others.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Schrödinger said:

This one starts with Cipactli/crocodile=Tonacatecuhtli/East, Ehecatl/wind=Quetzalcoatl/North, Calli/house=Tepeyollotl/West, Cuetzpalin/lizard=Huehuecoyotl/South, Coatl/snake=Chalchiuhtlicue/East

Weird, that is exactly the same order that can be seen on the Moon loading screen:

On 6/12/2019 at 9:03 AM, anonymous said:

@Lizizadolphin noted that on the Moon loading screen, one can read Aztec day signs, namely Cipactli (crocodile, east), Ehecatl (wind, north), Cali (house, west), Cuetzpalin (lizard, south) and Coatl (snake, east).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So today I learned that the ancient Mesoamerican tribes of Costa Rica believed in the existence of the Underworld. They depicted our world as a House, and the Underworld as an upside down House under the world-House. They believed rivers, lakes and seas were connections with this Underworld, guarded by spirits in the form of snakes, crocodiles and any other carnivorous water animal. When someone passed away, his/hers souls was thought to be transfered to this underworld. I imagine this as some sort of Upside Down like in Stranger Things. 

Could the Aether be the place where souls go to after being passed away and that this 'Underworld' is merely metaphorical believed to be under us (Hollow Earth). I expect no replies but my tired mind just wanted to share something with you lads ?

• 2 months later...

Archived