Black Ops 5 next year?

Lenne

• Moderators

Screen-Shot-2019-06-05-at-11.44.52-AM-10

Okay, so you may have read the rumours about Sledge Hammer Games having major problems with the development of their new CoD game and that Treyarch might have to come in instead.

Well this pretty much confirms it and I do not know how to feel about that. Instead of Activision saying, how they should let CoD take a hiatus for a year, they come up with this.

There probably won't be a second zombies season for BO4 then, which is actually a shame, if you ask me, cause without the crashes the game is actually enjoyable again, but that is a pretty big unpopular opinion but whatever.

What are your thoughts?

I just hope it will be something new on the campaign and MP end of things. Another Black Ops would be way too much, but Ive been saying that, for the last 2 games and here we are.

Also only two years of developement aren't too good either, but we'll see. Treyarch made their best games on a two year cycle.

❤️

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I an actaully sad to hear this. Despite being kinda the newbie, Sledgehammer, or at least their ''WW2'' is my favourite developer and game. Its also the only CoD ever I was hooked on. Anyway, doesn't mean I give Treyarch a change to make a good game. 

In a way, I hope they are gonna be more like Battlefield as well. Reminding us not only of the action, but also of the suffering and meaninglessness of the war. Not only the good vs. bad and heroes vs. evil: Also showing weakness in both parties, mercy to each other et cetera. Just look at the BF1 and BF5 intros for example. The empathesis on the suffering, and the reminder of soldiers just being humans, and not heroes.

• Moderators
On 6/5/2019 at 8:32 PM, anonymous said:

I an actaully sad to hear this. Despite being kinda the newbie, Sledgehammer, or at least their ''WW2'' is my favourite developer and game. Its also the only CoD ever I was hooked on. Anyway, doesn't mean I give Treyarch a change to make a good game. 

I agree, WW II was a decent CoD. The campaign, while not that exciting, was a nice change of pace both in terms of the story and gameplay. They tried new things and I really like that. Of course they could have done more to make the ending better for example, but it was a fun experience if you ask me. The multiplayer, while having a rough start and terrible maps, for the most part, was decent as well, especially after the big division overhaul patch. The zombies I can't judge.

It certainly is a bummer.

I am also curious to see how Treyarch handles the themes they will go for, but as for right now, I don't want to speculate what it will be.

I do think though that World at War was a good portrayal of that terrible war, while you were always playing either Dimitri on the russian side or the amercian soldier, I forgot the name of, you still got the fact that no side was 100 % wrong or right. Especially when Reznov got to Berlin and discovered the Diary of the guy who's character model is being used by Ultimis Nikolai. (Again I don't remember the name.)

Sorry for the late reply.

❤️

• Moderators

Yes! The sad story of Chernov, the diary man, was gruesome and great. Also liked the games emphasis on the European Eastern front and Pacific, instead of the cliché West front. Would love to see a Soviets vs Japanese campaign set in Manchuria. Or one set in Italy, Southern France, Greece, Balkan or Eastern Europe. D-day, Market Garden and the Ardennes offensive were really just the end of the war. But I believe I already once talked about this with you, Lenne

3 hours ago, anonymous said:

I hope it too, and I hear people mentioning this various times. But I personally think this is very unlikely, lesser than less

I'm still holding onto hope. The main two factors being that firstly, in BO3 we saw Treyarch using assets from previous mapsin Revelations, those assets basically being a hint of what's coming in Chronicles... now it seems like assets from various missing maps have been included in Blackout, such as Farm, Nuketown, COTD and Buried. Secondly, what with the first Chronicles being so successful, it'd be great for business, and Activision are all about business.

Also hoping that since Chronicles was done on the BO4 engine that we got all those thrown in with 2.0 if it happens, though I'm not at all convinced of the likelihood of that happening lol.

I think Chronicles 2 was definitely at the very least planned to happen at some point. Last SDCC Jason said to the crowd something like “if there’s demand for it it’ll happen”, and obviously there is. I think looking at how well the pack did in sales alone, is enough of a reason to be thinking that Activision gave the green light on Chronicles 2 not too long after that. However, with 3Arc taking over duties for next years CoD, the cynic in me is thinking that the Chronicles 2 maps planned for BO4 will release on that game instead to make up for a potential lack of content at launch.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Spider3000 said:

the cynic in me is thinking that the Chronicles 2 maps planned for BO4 will release on that game instead to make up for a potential lack of content at launch.

I highly doubt there will be a lack of content for the next Treyarch Call of Duty, cause if the second season of BO4 really won't be happening, then those maps will release with the 2020 game. Zombies Chronicles 2 will probably be a pre order bonus kinda like they did it back with BO1 and I wouldn't mind that too much.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Lenne said:

I highly doubt there will be a lack of content for the next Treyarch Call of Duty, cause if the second season of BO4 really won't be happening, then those maps will release with the 2020 game. Zombies Chronicles 2 will probably be a pre order bonus kinda like they did it back with BO1 and I wouldn't mind that too much.

Now that you mention that, it might even be kind of like the pre-order situation for BO4 where on PS4 if you pre-ordered BO4 digitally, you got to play the classic remastered maps they were putting into BO4 early, but in BO3. (Firing Range, Jungle, etc.) 

So basically pre-order BO5 and you get to play ZC2 early in BO4.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RadZakpak said:

Now that you mention that, it might even be kind of like the pre-order situation for BO4 where on PS4 if you pre-ordered BO4 digitally, you got to play the classic remastered maps they were putting into BO4 early, but in BO3. (Firing Range, Jungle, etc.) 

So basically pre-order BO5 and you get to play ZC2 early in BO4.

That would be the perfect solution.

Well thinking about the fact that Treyarch will have a year less to develope the game and BO4 already had lots of problems at launch I can't say I'm excited.

Don't really know much about season 2 or Chronicles 2, but those are probably a pass for me if season pass doesn't include them so kinda doesn't matter what game they are gonna be in.

• Tech Admin

To be honest, I think the problems at SledgeHammer are a shame. I haven't played WWII and I really like 1st & 2nd World War type games. In fact it's what CoD was started on. It needs to go back to it's roots in some form. I'm totally pissed with the direction that all the CoD titles have taken except WWII, in fact, I might even buy it now just because it is a World War game.

As for BOIIIII, I'm still a huge sceptic in the direction Zombies has taken and think the responsibility for this direction lays with Blundell, I think he has ruined it completely since BOIII and the only decent map was Der Eisendrache and Gorod Korovi, everything else just stank - more so the storyline.

I haven't even touched BOIIII. So if it's anything like the line they took with BOIII & BOIIII, the titles doomed. Sad bud true. What I think is needed, is going to the timeline of events and filling in some of the blanks. I mean, what was the point of the Tranzit Richtofen/Maxis EE's for example, it didn't develop anything, So they have a huge oppurtunity to correct some wrongs. Get the gobblegums to f**k and get back to the core of what was Zombies - teamwork, survival & classic perks.

On 6/16/2019 at 12:06 PM, Lenne said:

Yeah, what I mean is content meant for BO4 will probably end up being pushed to BO5 because of Treyarch being shoved head first into this project. Can’t say I envy the 3Arc devs currently, they have a lot of crunch time ahead of them.

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Spider3000 said:

Can’t say I envy the 3Arc devs currently, they have a lot of crunch time ahead of them.

I feel especially bad for good old DJ Vahn, my heart aches every time I read one of his meltdown tweets. I hope they can bounce back accordingly.

• Moderators
On 6/18/2019 at 5:06 AM, Lenne said:

I feel especially bad for good old DJ Vahn, my heart aches every time I read one of his meltdown tweets. I hope they can bounce back accordingly.

It really is heartbreaking to see because I know he genuinely cares about this game and wants the best for it but there is simply not enough time for his team. With every positive thing that happens there are five negatives, and he is berated constantly by his replies. I really hope that at some point he can leave Treyarch on his own accord and find a studio where he can be at peace.

This whole situation does not bode well for the series, even if people are optimistic about Modern Warfare. It is all too common in the gaming industry now for big publishers to have their developers pump out games until one doesn't reach record-breaking numbers, and then they swiftly dispose of them and move on with their money. I'm afraid we may not be seeing a Treyarch Call of Duty, or any game at all, after BO5 comes out if it does not sell well enough. Shit, I'm afraid that if public perception of BO4 does not increase and Modern Warfare doesn't break records, the whole game could be cancelled.

I'd rather see zombies hold out to BO5 and be zombies again.

Where zombies went in the main maps of BO3 was bad, but Chronicles and the cool PaP stuff helped save the game (unless you hated re-pap).

But BO4 shit the bed completely. I've adored zombies since WaW, WaW and the BO3 reprints are my favorite zombies. BO4, I could delete and trade in, it's trash.

Blundell needs to go or step down a notch or 2 to someone who loved what zombies was. Bring back what was.

Zombies was easy, mass kdr, and killing (mostly) human (looking) beings. It was camping or training. Humans have a visceral love of seeing humans hurt, killed, maimed, and tossed. Kiling zombies filled this dark corner of our psych without guilt, or fear, or actually hurting anything.

Now zombies is corny knock off creatures and endless, boring running. Every single corner, ceiling, wall is a zombie spawn point.

The PaP system forces you early (round 10) to decide which guns to use for the entire match. DT2 allowed one to go to about R30 without having to necessarily PaP, and losing DT2 added this issue. Now Juggs we could actually live without (in the new system), but really we just needed the 4 perk cap removed, not to have Blundell brutally defecate on the whole zombie mode.

Now zombies are fresh...well so is the crap I just took, and I don't want to play with either.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:46 PM, 83457 said:

I'd rather see zombies hold out to BO5 and be zombies again.

Where zombies went in the main maps of BO3 was bad, but Chronicles and the cool PaP stuff helped save the game (unless you hated re-pap).

But BO4 shit the bed completely. I've adored zombies since WaW, WaW and the BO3 reprints are my favorite zombies. BO4, I could delete and trade in, it's trash.

Blundell needs to go or step down a notch or 2 to someone who loved what zombies was. Bring back what was.

Zombies was easy, mass kdr, and killing (mostly) human (looking) beings. It was camping or training. Humans have a visceral love of seeing humans hurt, killed, maimed, and tossed. Kiling zombies filled this dark corner of our psych without guilt, or fear, or actually hurting anything.

Now zombies is corny knock off creatures and endless, boring running. Every single corner, ceiling, wall is a zombie spawn point.

The PaP system forces you early (round 10) to decide which guns to use for the entire match. DT2 allowed one to go to about R30 without having to necessarily PaP, and losing DT2 added this issue. Now Juggs we could actually live without (in the new system), but really we just needed the 4 perk cap removed, not to have Blundell brutally defecate on the whole zombie mode.

Now zombies are fresh...well so is the crap I just took, and I don't want to play with either.

Yeah they should go back to what zombies used to be if they want to win me back and be excited about zombies again. I personally don't like BO3 or BO4 a whole lot, mainly cause of all these things to make the game easier and easier. 

If I do play BO3 the chronicles maps are fun yeah, but I think it's ruined by double PAP and gobblegums. (Yeah yeah just don't use them if you don't like em, by that logic there wouldn't be any negative reviews of anything). And as much as I like the idea of remakes it's sad that by far the most liked BO3 maps are in fact the remade ones. Maybe Der Eisendrache fits in too. 

4 perks was fine back in the day, you had to make a choice and you could get all of them if you did the Easter Egg. In the end it never really mattered a whole lot since 4 perks seemed enough to me, im certain cases I could have wanted 1 one. The new perk system in BO4 is interesting but at the same time flawed. You have to make the choices before the game, which is boring. You can't decide to buy a certain perk instead of another if you didn't have it to begin with. In that way it limits your game more than the old perk system. Which is not a good thing. 

Archived