Project: Zombie Mode

Uneven Pixel

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The engine will be created in game maker studio 2, and will be completely made from scratch.

I did look at the unity series, and while it is an excellent set of maps, there are a couple reasons why I am not using them.

1. It ties into the official zombies storyline, which I dont want. It limits our creative freedom and could potentially get the project shut down should treyarch or Activision feel it's a violation of their copyright

2. With a map series that is all listed on this site, there is no intrigue into finding parts of the story through the game, especially if you can just go see the next map in the series online.

Again, love his maps, and may consider doing a series with them in it, but for the time being, I want to focus on an original story.

• Moderators

-Perhaps affecting the environment (open doors, turn the power on, traps) can be done in an alternative way than solely using points. Physically solving puzzles, shooting things, make a car as weight go down to open a gate, etc, might be an idea. Half life puzzles would be an inspiration.

-Are you thinking of a totally zombie apocalypse world setting or, like CoD:Z, smaller 'secret' outbreaks?

-Will be updated tomorrow

-

4 hours ago, InfestLithium said:

Funny, I was making a similar Zombies mode in GameMaker as well. I got as far as fixing the round spawn issue and then gave up because I realized my sprite animation skills were terrible, haha.

Good luck with your project! Can't wait to see an alpha version.

I wouldn't say my Sprite animations are great, but they are good enough to suffice. Again, open source so feel free to mod as you please.

On 4/12/2019 at 7:28 PM, anonymous said:

-Perhaps affecting the environment (open doors, turn the power on, traps) can be done in an alternative way than solely using points. Physically solving puzzles, shooting things, make a car as weight go down to open a gate, etc, might be an idea. Half life puzzles would be an inspiration.

-Are you thinking of a totally zombie apocalypse world setting or, like CoD:Z, smaller 'secret' outbreaks?

-Will be updated tomorrow

-

While the different way to open doors do sound fun and interesting at first, the fact is that it will drag down re-playability a lot. Or at least in my personal opinion. Puzzles are fun to solve for the first time, but once you know the answer it becomes a chore. This of course is true only if the opening of doors take effort and some time. Which it will if we don't want the whole map opened during round 1. In which case it's almost better to not have doors at all.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jiipee95 said:

While the different way to open doors do sound fun and interesting at first, the fact is that it will drag down re-playability a lot. Or at least in my personal opinion. Puzzles are fun to solve for the first time, but once you know the answer it becomes a chore. This of course is true only if the opening of doors take effort and some time. Which it will if we don't want the whole map opened during round 1. In which case it's almost better to not have doors at all.

Okay that's absolutely true

4 hours ago, jiipee95 said:

I think that for some donors, not all that this could work, (I.e. spider cave in zetsobou)

9 hours ago, Uneven Pixel said:

I think that for some donors, not all that this could work, (I.e. spider cave in zetsobou)

Yes, certain doors to "secret" areas this could be very well a fun way to access them. It would also be easier to hide the areas for the first time players since it doesn't have a text to open barrier.

Archived