anonymous

Investigating a real life Zombie map: the German bunkers

Hi all,

First of all, I would like to start with a quote by @Steelie, almost two years ago (jeh man, we're getting old):

I'dalso love to go touring through countries, searching for who-knows-what. Or walk through abandoned things like houses or factories or theme parks, I always wonder what makes them abandoned.

Not sure if that thought still goes for you, my friend, but I still have an everlasting curiousity to the Unknown. Which is why I felt I wanted to share my, if I can call it like that, 'personal adventure' of last sunday...

I knew the place from a friend of mine, who practised mountain biking in a nearby forest (10 km from my village). He talked about seeing large concrete complexes in the middle of the woods, bunkers of some sort. When I felt like walking with my dog in the forests, I thought 'why not there?'. The drive to the location was an adventure itself, with the fat little one next to me on a chair, sitting relatively relaxed for a car ride with Green Day way too loud on the music box. Anyways, we arrived at a parking ground at a pancake restaurant, near the bunkers. From here, we found a muddy way, not that much used (understatement) in the direction where the bunkers had to be. As the road turned into a river more and more, I eventually stumbled upon a fence, among with a sign saying NO ENTRY. The fence seemed to end my little journey, but when I walked a bit further I discovered a tree, blown over by the wind fallen exactly over the fence.

IMG_20190317_163941.jpg

As I climbed over this unforeseen helper, whilst carrying my little one, I saw my destination: A row of grey, grim structures that was hidden in a seemingly artificial planted coniferious forest. There was still an asphalt road connecting them, although overgrown by all sorts of grasses. The bunkers almost seemed to be Vaults of 'Fallout', with opened doors of at least 30 cm thick. They were buried under hills of sand, complete with trees and plants, probably to camouflage them for enemy sattelites. 

IMG_20190317_163648.jpg

Most of the once military highly guarded complexes were now fallen victim to vandalism and graffiti. One of the bunkers had a large white, almost fluorescent text writting on the backwall, eerily saying 'NO END'. Gotta admit, that one almost send shivers down my spine.

IMG_20190317_163552.jpg

The bunkers in this row were numbered 101 up untill 118, 115 not being excluded. At the end of the row was a small, brick building, consisting of a hallway with tree rooms. I ignored this building, as it looked like a stinky by junkies used house, looking not nearly as interesting as the bunkers. 

When I had seen enough, and exited the terrain, however, I heard a loud 'BANG' coming out of the little brick building. Probably the wind smashing a door, but the idea someone was there, watching me all the time, creeped me.

Duitse_basis_vandalisme_1.jpg

Once exited, I used internet to investigate the structures I had investigated. Apparently, the area was an enormous military ammo depot for the German Bundeswehr, used from 1962 till 1997, to store bullets and bombs. This would explain the thick steel doors. The trees overgrowing the bunkers indeed used to function as camouflage, due to fear for Soviet sattelites. Apparently after the Cold War, the Bundeswehr sold it to the Belgium ministry of defense (I was in belgium the entire time!), which demilitarised the area and gave it to nature, as it connected the wildlife of tree large forests. Another interesting thing I found out was that the terrain was 100 hectares big, containing 80 bunkers. I merely saw the tip of the iceberg! The area was still lightly guarded weekly by a soldier with a German shephart, and apparently some folks organized an illegal technoparty in one of the bunkers some years ago. Much more I couldnt find on internet.

IMG_20190317_163719.jpg

When I came back to the living world from this real life Zombie map, I went to the pancake restaurant to get some sort of 'pancake calzone'. The little one had to wait till we were back home to get her slobby food.

Donor
5 minutes ago, anonymous said:

Not sure if that thought still goes for you, my friend, but I still have an everlasting curiousity to the Unknown. Which is why I felt I wanted to share my, if I can call it like that, 'personal adventure' of last sunday...

Hell yeah I do! I still have a fascination with abandoned things, and I realized a little while back that there's a closed off abandoned section of a mall in my city as well! There's no way to get there anymore because it's an upper floor and they removed the escalators, but it's still wild to me that it's in the heart of the city (as other abandoned buildings seem to be as well sometimes).

As for your story, it was a super interesting and enjoyable read! I loved the pictures too, would love to go there myself as well. You were very lucky not to have come across that guard though, I can imagine that there'd be a big fine for trespassing onto such grounds 🤔😣

11 hours ago, anonymous said:

and apparently some folks organized an illegal technoparty

Now that is the perfect location for a once in a lifetime party. haha

That bang you heard while exiting would have creeped me out as well. :S In general I see the appeal both of you have for these locations, but I am way too much of a pansy to go there alone.

Thank you for sharing, Anon. But I was kinda hoping for a Nazi Bunker and you actually going in there to discover the golden rod or the focusing stone or whatever item is actuallly in the zombies story these days. haha

❤️ 

17 hours ago, Steelie said:

Hell yeah I do! I still have a fascination with abandoned things, and I realized a little while back that there's a closed off abandoned section of a mall in my city as well! There's no way to get there anymore because it's an upper floor and they removed the escalators, but it's still wild to me that it's in the heart of the city (as other abandoned buildings seem to be as well sometimes).

Glad you're still excited about such things. And agreed: Abandoned forgotten places in the middle of a crowdy city are great! I remember participating with some kind of school-organized technology event in an old factory in the heart of Eindhoven. It was organized at the ground floor of the building, but a friend and I discovered an old iron door, being 'guarded' by the stand of a food vendor. As we sneaked behind it, we discovered the door was actually open so we went across and entered a room with an old, steel staircase (the factory was built in the late 1800s/early 1900s). The door at the upper floor appeared to be locked, but it seemed that someone once went us prior, and a small manhole was smashed through the wall. As we crawled through it, we found ourselves in a large abandoned factoryhall...though a buzzing sound changed it. A small, cat-sized drone appeared out of nowhere (most likely from the tech event downstairs) and since we didn't want to get discovered we ran in a random room. This one was featuring an abandoned presentation room, complete with projector sceen and nasty fluffy red chairs (you know which ones). It kinda resembled some sort of small 'Kino der Toten'. Up untill this day, when we pass the old factory, we call it 'Kino'.

6 hours ago, Lenne said:

But I was kinda hoping for a Nazi Bunker and you actually going in there to discover the golden rod or the focusing stone or whatever item is actuallly in the zombies story these days

''And the next time in the sequel of 'Anonymous Jones', I'll travel to the dangerous area of.....'' LOL! I gotta admit, I'm sure that when we would explore such things together, if that would be possible, we would have an amazingly lot of laughter together.

Admin

Like Rave in the Redwoods meets Nuketown Zombies, but German-style.

I'd love to see an underground bunker map that has the outside like another NML scenario.