Armor detail and the Chaos Crew's character background

Mattzs

I originally thought that the attire of the Chaos crew was based on the various types of gladiatorial performances. However, Diego’s outfit, especially his chest piece, appears to have a Mesoamerican aesthetic. And so, I  wonder if each outfit of the chaos crew also reflects their heritage.

Based on their last names:
Stanton Shaw- English/Scottish 
Scarlett Rhodes- English
Bruno Delacroix- French
Diego Necalli- Mexican (Last name Aztec)
  Although I am not sure on the accuracy, Necalli appears to be an Aztec/Nahuatl name meaning “battle” (e.g. https://www.names.org/n/necalli/about, http://www.babynames.com/name/Necalli). This does explain why Street Fighter’s Aztec Warrior is named Necalli (and why he is the top of the Google Search results).

Looking at the gear of Each Character:

Bruno- By the First Century AD/CE Gaul was already under Roman Control. It would make sense that Bruno’s outfit has the most Roman-like appearance. 

Scarlett and Stanton- They appear to have Celtic markings on their bodies. This would make sense if Scarlett and Stanton are English and or Scottish. 
Interestingly, Scarlett appears to be wearing mail. At first, I thought it might allude to the fact that by 84 AD/CE, Rome had conquered Britain. Scarlett’s armor would be a cross between the two styles. Although, this does depend on whether or not the map is the Colosseum (completed in 80 AD/CE). Furthermore, it appears the Romans adopted the Celt’s style of making chainmail (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_(armour); specific Citation http://www.lordsandladies.org/chainmail.htm). Regardless, it fits either way.

In a similar manner, I wonder if Stanton’s appearance differs from Bruno and Scarlett because the Roman’s never conquered Scotland. 

Diego- As mentioned earlier appears to adopt a Mesoamerican style. If Diego is from Mexico, it would also account for why his outfit is the most unlike the rest of the crew. Diego’s appearance in the comic is slated for the issue dealing with the Mexican Revolution (https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/3003-494/Call-of-Duty-Zombies-2-3#prettyPhoto).

Overall, I think this is a neat attention to detail. I would also guess that this means we may have more Pantheon’s represented in the series’ future. The "doll" at the end of the IX trailer looks like a Voodoo Doll.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, The Meh said:

That's some great insight, man. It makes sense to the map, as well, as this generally seems to be a map that's meshing a ton of mythologies... and probably cultures as well.

Thank you. IX does seem to be meshing a lot of cultures and mythologies. Although, the blending of Greek, Roman, and Egyptian aesthetic isn’t too foreign given the time period. However, Diego’s armor, the Voodoo Doll, Vigor Statues, and a few of the Wonder Weapons are a bit out of place. In the initial IX trailer one of the gladiatorial sacrifices appears to be Asian. I even remember reading some theories that said IX had Carthaginian influence as well and possibly that the map is set in an alternate timeline where Carthage won the Punic Wars.

Something is amiss with IX. Maybe the villains are some relic collecting cultists? Maybe they pull people and things from all over space and time?

• Administrators

Really great detail here, really interested to see how the lore from all the different cultures plays into the overall story line. Based on the initial Voyage of Despair trailer is seems to carry overs. Also when they are inhaling the vapors is it possible that they are inhabiting the bodies of their ancestors? Just speculating but maybe their families have been brought together for centuries to fight this battles. Whatever is may be. 

8 hours ago, Mattzs said:

Overall, I think this is a neat attention to detail. I would also guess that this means we may have more Pantheon’s represented in the series’ future. The "doll" at the end of the IX trailer looks like a Voodoo Doll.

Yeah I'm calling him Mumbo Jumbo, it's been decided. 

Image result for mumbo jumbo banjo

16 hours ago, Boom115 said:

Really great detail here, really interested to see how the lore from all the different cultures plays into the overall story line. Based on the initial Voyage of Despair trailer is seems to carry overs. Also when they are inhaling the vapors is it possible that they are inhabiting the bodies of their ancestors? Just speculating but maybe their families have been brought together for centuries to fight this battles. Whatever is may be. 

Yeah I'm calling him Mumbo Jumbo, it's been decided. 

Image result for mumbo jumbo banjo

I was wondering that too; if the Chaos Crew is inhabiting the bodies of their ancestors or like an alternate version of themselves. I just want to know how Diego got to Rome. Maybe the cultists were collecting combatants from around the world? Plus, I am really curious as to how the vapors and the disembodied (Oracle's?) voice play into the story. The Chaos Crew was alive for the events of the Titanic, so I do not think any time travelling will be taking place during Voyage.

That is perfect. If Banjo and Kazooie don’t make it into Smash Ultimate, then they at least have a spot in Black Ops Zombies!

Edit- I just realized that Banjo-Kazooie is probably a part of a mod already.

Archived