User Menu

Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Forum Menu

More Staff Online

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

The Meh

So... Podcast der Toten?

"Podcast der Toten"  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys, Meh here.

Still getting used to the whole "Dweller" thing... definitely a new aspect of the forum to me. Glad to say I appreciate being able to reach this point, though. That said, I'd still prefer to level with you guys on these terms for a time. I like having these sorts of conversations with the community we have where anyone can have a say and not feel shut out because of all the people that are above them. So... that's partially what this is for.

...weird way to start the post, but, hey, I wanted to address that. Onto the juicy stuff.

I think a few of the older members - and the auth - would likely remember the name "Podcast der Toten". I know I do, but not very much as well as I could. All I can say I really knew of it was that it was a sort of community podcast, where most the auth would come together and talk. I don't recall if there were special guests from time to time in the form of YouTubers or not, nor do I remember a lot of the other pressing details, but I know that we used to do it. So, in light of this, I wanted to ask about it. What the plans were for it. All that cool jazz.

I know that we're planning to reform the place a bit... certainly hope we can, and we do it well, admittedly so. But I don't want to leave certain things in the dust. If there's plans for the Podcast to return, I would love to hear them... and perhaps, even, be a part of it. So... yeah.

As always, per aspera ad astra.

-The Meh

Admin

@GRILL @Flammenwerfer @FatedTitan the masterminds behind the podcast. It would be up to one of those gents if they wanted it to make a return. 

Check out all the old podcasts here >>> https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/xsdew-27251/Podcast-Der-Toten

Edit: who could forget @InfestLithium. Oh I did...

Admin
2 hours ago, Boom115 said:

@GRILL @Flammenwerfer @FatedTitan the masterminds behind the podcast. It would be up to one of those gents if they wanted it to make a return. 

Check out all the old podcasts here >>> https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/xsdew-27251/Podcast-Der-Toten

Edit: who could forget @InfestLithium. Oh I did...

That's right you put me right back in there or so help me...haha

To be honest, PDT was crazy fun but it does take up a lot of time to set up. Would be fund to have again though.

2 hours ago, InfestLithium said:

That's right you put me right back in there or so help me...haha

To be honest, PDT was crazy fun but it does take up a lot of time to set up. Would be fund to have again though.

How'd you guys typically run it? Did you put it through game chat or something? Skype?

Admin

It was done through skype and then Grill would go back and edit to ensure it was high quality. Mic quality would vary (if you listen to the one episode I was in *i've since upgraded :)*). Grill also created some awesome cutsom music!

Donor

PDT was very fun but also a labor of love.

At first we used a free program called “Pamela” that allowed you to record the Skype calls, but the quality sucked and we didn’t want to buy a program (more on this in a sec).

From there, I would put it into Audacity (free editing program) and boost it up/add effects/whatever.

After we decided to ditch Pamela, I had each PDT member download Audacity and taught them how to record themselves - then they would send me the audio tracks separately.  This proved to be exceptionally hard to line up given respective latencies for each member.

The final solution which worked best was to simply use a 2nd computer.  I created a 2nd Skype name “Grillmic”, which would join the conversation and record all parties onto one track.

1 minute ago, GRILL said:

PDT was very fun but also a labor of love.

At first we used a free program called “Pamela” that allowed you to record the Skype calls, but the quality sucked and we didn’t want to buy a program (more on this in a sec).

From there, I would put it into Audacity (free editing program) and boost it up/add effects/whatever.

After we decided to ditch Pamela, I had each PDT member download Audacity and taught them how to record themselves - then they would send me the audio tracks separately.  This proved to be exceptionally hard to line up given respective latencies for each member.

The final solution which worked best was to simply use a 2nd computer.  I created a 2nd Skype name “Grillmic”, which would join the conversation and record all parties onto one track.

I can only assume that the advent of Discord may or may not help, if you guys do return with it? I definitely think it would be great to see it again... given the difficulty, I'm aware with what you said that it isn't all too easy each time.

(That or maybe I read it wrong, I'm really praying I didn't xP)

Admin

Being able to adjust peoples mics individually on discord is a huge help. Skype is/was terrible. 

Donor

It would be great if the original crew wanted back in on PDT, but if they didn't want to surely the podcast could still return with a different cast right? I think it would be a great mission and would be interested in joining. Go podcasts!

Donor

Ohhhhh man. PDT. Podcast Der Toten. CoDzcast.

When I first pitched the idea to Grill, FT, and Festo, it seemed great. We all had free time around to call each other on Skype and get things rolling. The forum was alive with theories, speculations, and just general discussion that we felt that everything would just flow nicely. And for a long time, it did. We got support from the community, we got various guests on the show (including RadAustin and Milo (that one didn't go as well as we hoped)), and we got a nice following.

Eventually, however, like Grillboy stated above, it proved to be too time-consuming. We all started petering off, as we got busier and busier. I was in college when we started it, but after I moved back home after that year I had little to no private space. It also didn't help that the ways we recorded the cast itself proved to be troubling at best. Combined with a lack of discussion available after a while, we all just sort of...stopped. We tried to get it going again and again and again, but it never went beyond discussions on Skype.

However, back to the topic at hand, it would be fantastic if we could get the crew back together again. Revamped and ready to rock again. A Primis Podcast, if you would. But, it would all depend on our availability and wanton for success. I myself have had a difficult time trying to find free time in my day to browse CoDz. It's mostly the reason why I stopped coming back sadly. But I'll discuss that at a different time.

Thanks for expressing interest in a project so near and dear to my heart. It's definitely something to consider.

-Shawn, aka Flammenwerfer, aka Flappinweiner, aka WERF

Admin

@Flammenwerfer We get it you're popular 😝