About that DLC exclusivity

Lenne

• Moderators

So I thought about this occasionally since the BO IIII reveal back in may. At the end of the show Lamia said his thanks to sony for providing the consoles which the people got to play with during the day. And the only exclusivity in regards to BO IIII were the back in black maps (DLC 6) for BO III and the beta.

Now they haven't mentioned anything in regards to getting the maps a month in advance. Not for Sony or Microsoft. Then again they have been kinda quiet how the DLC season will properly play out.

Now my hope is that everyone gets the maps at the same time. Though they also have to think about PC since the sidequests can be data mined etc. So I think and kinda hope that PC folks still have to wait a month. 

What are your thoughts? Could this finally be the game since 2009 in which console exclusivity dies?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

If I remember correctly (and I can't site my source because I don't remember) they struck a 4 year contract in 2013/2014. So this past year would have been the final one freeing up for the possibility of another platform taking it over or just tossing it out all together. I don't think Sony hit a huge net profit from this deal and Microsoft has so much money that the return is outside of their scope of interest (only speculating). So I wonder if there is even incentive to continue the deal? Also how would that impact the developers if they needed to have all platforms ready to go at the same time?

• Moderators

I'm genuinely hoping there is no deal this year. It honestly benefited no one besides I guess Activision for quick cash. As an Xbox player, getting the DLC late or not will be a decider in how invested I will be this season. It's just not worth the effort getting into the story as much when I'm not even allowed to experience it for the first time through the game itself. My interest dipped quite a bit in Black Ops III because of this, and I didn't play the maps as much when they came out because it felt like there was nothing new to discover.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Boom115 said:

Also how would that impact the developers if they needed to have all platforms ready to go at the same time?

What do you mean by that? I don't think that would be a big problem, it also worked back in CoD4 and WAW. And other games handle that as well.

@RadZakpak I feel you it is horrible to see everyone have fun, figuring stuff out and just plainly playing the new map and having to wait a month. But I think it will be equal for everyone this time around. If one of the partys got the rights then they would have announced it by now.

Fingers crossed.

12 minutes ago, RadZakpak said:

I'm genuinely hoping there is no deal this year. It honestly benefited no one besides I guess Activision for quick cash. As an Xbox player, getting the DLC late or not will be a decider in how invested I will be this season. It's just not worth the effort getting into the story as much when I'm not even allowed to experience it for the first time through the game itself. My interest dipped quite a bit in Black Ops III because of this, and I didn't play the maps as much when they came out because it felt like there was nothing new to discover.

That is an excellent point.  I remember that feeling.  I was excited about the PS4 getting exclusive rights but only because I had not had them before.  Game drop and DLC should be on the same day for all platforms.  PC should be the only lag.  PC gamers ruin the EE experience with their ability to look deep into the contents of their applications.  

• 3 weeks later...

I agree!  This seems fair and just.  It is a way for the developers to still make rights exclusive and make money, but it is not such a drag to the rest of the world.  In an earlier post, someone mentioned that waiting a month spoiled the game play.  The EE has already been solved and they do not get to participate in the action.  I wonder, since Blundell said that he thinks the community will be split with which EE gets done first, which map are you guys dedicating the majority of your time to?

Archived