Did Blundell Just Kill Zombies?

So...... elephant in the room. Everything you've worked for over the past 10 years just got thrown in the flusher in favor of a new zombies storyline that has nothing to do with anything. 

What are your thoughts on the reveal?

Personally I am really disappointing with the reveal. Was hoping we would get to continue the storyline but now it feels like it was all for naught except for Blood of the Dead which will probably be our final look into the Real Zombies Storyline. 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think it'll be similar to black ops 2, we will have a break from the origins crew for a few dlcs and they'll reappear around DLC 3 or 4. That storyline can't be finished, Blundell also had blood vials on his back I just don't feel that is the end of our OG story. I am a bit pissed after 2 years of waiting it's not being addressed straight away but we have BOTD to keep us keen. 

I have faith/Fingers crossed!

I'm not sure.

The statement was "a Brand New Storyline. Separate and distinct from the Aether story line", right?

I feel that is ambiguous enough to mean that the new story is unrelated to the quests of Victis, Primis, and Ultimis. It does not mean a whole new series.

Edit- Just thought about some connections.

In the IX trailer, the robes look like they contain Apothicon symbols among a variety of other mythological/religious symbols. 

In the Voyage of Despair trailer, it looks like the new crew has vials of Divinium. Not to mention the pneumatic tubes gave me a Monty's Gumball Factory Vibe.

The Cult the new heroes are chasing throughout time could be the Cult of Flesh.

I was also wondering if they are from Dimension 63.  Their story could be them trying to avert the assimilation of their universe from the Apothicons.  

Only thing that Amuses me though is that I had a concept mapped out called Die-Tanic. Don't think I ever really expanded it much but It was a joke concept and now there's actually a titanic map.

Also my fountain of worlds concept with the fountain that acted as a gateway to different time periods and dimensions. Never got around to the reveal of who the oracle was but it amuses me that I once again predicted shit by accident. 

coincidences aside I'd much prefer the old storyline 

I get the distinct vibe that this is really what Blundell was talking about when he said "brackets" referring to the story of the game from the beginning to Revelations, but this almost feels to much separated, and if this is an entirely new storyline then there were way to many holes in the old one to really call it complete, not to mention the dangling plot thread of Victis on MOTD and possibly breaking the cycle. At the same time though, I cannot help but feel that this is going to not only explore Agartha but the Apothicons as well, but this may very well be the end (for now at least) of the Primis/Ultimis story. I do not know though...

4 hours ago, Black Hand Smith said:

Only thing that Amuses me though is that I had a concept mapped out called Die-Tanic. Don't think I ever really expanded it much but It was a joke concept and now there's actually a titanic map.

Also my fountain of worlds concept with the fountain that acted as a gateway to different time periods and dimensions. Never got around to the reveal of who the oracle was but it amuses me that I once again predicted shit by accident. 

coincidences aside I'd much prefer the old storyline 

Haha, you should guess some lottery numbers.

Before black Ops IV comes out, why not reveal the identity of your Oracle?

My guesses for the disembodied female voice in the trailer are:

An older Samantha

Dolos from Nightmares

The Lady of the House from Buried-I know it is not at all likely. I just wanted a 3rd person for the sake of randomly guessing the identity. 

1 hour ago, CerealBro1 said:

I get the distinct vibe that this is really what Blundell was talking about when he said "brackets" referring to the story of the game from the beginning to Revelations, but this almost feels to much separated, and if this is an entirely new storyline then there were way to many holes in the old one to really call it complete, not to mention the dangling plot thread of Victis on MOTD and possibly breaking the cycle. At the same time though, I cannot help but feel that this is going to not only explore Agartha but the Apothicons as well, but this may very well be the end (for now at least) of the Primis/Ultimis story. I do not know though...

I feel the same way. The story may be a separate universe, a new section of the multiverse, or maybe even the universe before the current zombies' universe (if you really want to go crazy). Regardless, I think it will still stay within the zombies canon. I even think Nightmares has some connection.

Although some have speculated that Blood of the Dead takes place before Revelations, I want to say that it takes actually place after it. Mob of the Dead's central motif of damnation would fit the theme of Revelation's ending. It would also explain why Primis is out of commission for BOIV. They are lost in the afterlife, trying to break the cycle.

Having the Primis crew "move on" lets a new group of heroes pick up their mantle, while simultaneously saving Primis for the next layer of the story.

If this is the case, then I would speculate that the new protagonists' story will explore loose ends in the zombie storyline.

2 minutes ago, Mattzs said:

Haha, you should guess some lottery numbers.

Before black Ops IV comes out, why not reveal the identity of your Oracle?

My guesses for the disembodied female voice in the trailer are:

An older Samantha

Dolos from Nightmares

The Lady of the House from Buried-I know it is not at all likely. I just wanted a 3rd person for the sake of randomly guessing the identity. 

I feel the same way. The story may be a separate universe, a new section of the multiverse, or maybe even the universe before the current zombies universe. However, it is still stay within the zombies canon. I even think Nightmares has some connection.

Although some have speculated that Blood of the Dead takes place before Revelations, I want to say that it takes actually place after it. Mob of the Dead's central motif of damnation would fit the theme of Revelation's ending. It would also explain why Primis is out of commission for BOIV. They are lost in the afterlife, trying to break the cycle.

Having the Primis crew "move on" lets a new group of heroes pick up their mantle, while simultaneously saving Primis for the next layer of the story.

If this is the case, then I would speculate that the new protagonists' story will explore loose ends in the zombie storyline.

In the original Fountain of Worlds Universe the fountain could be used to travel through dimensions and time periods. The oracle was the fortune teller from Carnival of Evil. You can find this in the Zombie Labs section of these forums. Never got to that point in the story though. I got lazy and stopped writing. But she besically becomes the Keeper of the fountain due to her ability to see through dreams and meets another character from one of my other stories

2 minutes ago, Black Hand Smith said:

In the original Fountain of Worlds Universe the fountain could be used to travel through dimensions and time periods. The oracle was the fortune teller from Carnival of Evil. You can find this in the Zombie Labs section of these forums. Never got to that point in the story though. I got lazy and stopped writing. But she besically becomes the Keeper of the fountain due to her ability to see through dreams and meets another character from one of my other stories

Sounds interesting! I will have to check it out.

I could definitely see the voice being an Oracle or Fortune Teller. It fits the theme of IX being a variant of Rome. Plus, didn't Oracles use gas vents to divine messages from the gods? It is similar to how the new heroes inhale a strange mist to travel to Zombie-Cult Rome.

I hope you are three for three!

• Moderators

I know most of the people on here hold the original story dear to their heart, but how many more games do you want to have about it?

I am looking forward to playing the game and thanks to Blundell's promises, I think it has the potential to be the best zombies experience from a gameplay perspective.

• Moderators

So I am working on my exams last week and next week, and I know I shouldn't put time in CoDZ during that period, but due to the release I felt like I had to say something.

I'm kinda shocked- or amazed -not sure how to express it but I hadn't expected it. If Blundell sacrificed the storyline for this new thing, it better be something good and revolutionary. And I have faith it will be like that. No campaign as well so there might be put more effort into zombies.

Anyway, I would love it to do an analysis of all trailers together with the community, but unfortunately too less time for me at the moment. Maybe later. Though all maps have interesting notes, I'm solely going into IX right now 'cuz of time:

If it takes place in the year 9 AD, Emperor Augustus was in charge in pretty much the entire Mediterranean Sea: South (and parts of North) Europe, Turkey, the West of the Middle East and North Africa. I notice an eagle symbol: The Roman Eagle? Guy, whoever it is, is full of symbols, I will dive into that an other time. The people on the Tribune's of the arena are no ordinary citizens: They all have metallic gold-like masks and staffs, just as the master guy. Some kind of occult, I guess? A triangle is on the 'magic shield's, as well as on the mask of the master guy and on flags in the arena. People (slaves?) without masks are being sacrificed? The master guy has both the 'shield' and the 'scepter', two items also seen on board on the Titanic. And what he this to do with Alchemism?

We'll see. I hope and think it'll be something spectacular. And something different than the old 'survival mode in a few maps' thing too. I really thing this will be something new. Could be like a zombie campaign, could be like zombie minigames, man I don't know what. But something different than usually.

If anything it’s rejuvenated some interest in the game, for me at least. Say what you will about the previous story, but IMO it jumped the shark more than once and scrapped the bottom of the barrel by the end. I mean, the last map was basically a battle between “God” and “Satan”.

6 hours ago, anonymous said:

So I am working on my exams last week and next week, and I know I shouldn't put time in CoDZ during that period, but due to the release I felt like I had to say something.

I'm kinda shocked- or amazed -not sure how to express it but I hadn't expected it. If Blundell sacrificed the storyline for this new thing, it better be something good and revolutionary. And I have faith it will be like that. No campaign as well so there might be put more effort into zombies.

Anyway, I would love it to do an analysis of all trailers together with the community, but unfortunately too less time for me at the moment. Maybe later. Though all maps have interesting notes, I'm solely going into IX right now 'cuz of time:

If it takes place in the year 9 AD, Emperor Augustus was in charge in pretty much the entire Mediterranean Sea: South (and parts of North) Europe, Turkey, the West of the Middle East and North Africa. I notice an eagle symbol: The Roman Eagle? Guy, whoever it is, is full of symbols, I will dive into that an other time. The people on the Tribune's of the arena are no ordinary citizens: They all have metallic gold-like masks and staffs, just as the master guy. Some kind of occult, I guess? A triangle is on the 'magic shield's, as well as on the mask of the master guy and on flags in the arena. People (slaves?) without masks are being sacrificed? The master guy has both the 'shield' and the 'scepter', two items also seen on board on the Titanic. And what he this to do with Alchemism?

We'll see. I hope and think it'll be something spectacular. And something different than the old 'survival mode in a few maps' thing too. I really thing this will be something new. Could be like a zombie campaign, could be like zombie minigames, man I don't know what. But something different than usually.

I was trying to figure out the identity of the man in the Colosseum as well. I think having the map take place in 9 AD is fitting, but I don’t know if it is Caesar Augustus. The man in the mask seemed different. Excluding symbols like the Eagle and the Scarab, the markings on his dress seemed intentionally out of place and time.

Before they confirmed it was Rome, I was thinking it was a Rome-like civilization that is pulling combatants from space and time. Now I think it is either alternate history or altered history.

If it is alternate history, then I would say that the story will follow a universe where this cult and zombies have become commonplace in history. If it is altered history, then I would guess that the cultists are fellow time travelers trying to alter the course of human history. Although, I am not sure how that fits into the sinking of the Titanic. It could be unrelated. Or, maybe they wanted it to sink? It would a fun Easter Egg to actually save the Titanic.

I really like that Treyarch is trying to tie zombies back into history, mythology, and conspiracy again. Although the BOIII zombie maps took place between 1930 and 1950, I got the sense that history was just the backdrop for the story. I hope they tie the mythos back to history and not overwrite history.

Also- Good luck on your exams!

4 hours ago, Spider3000 said:

If anything it’s rejuvenated some interest in the game, for me at least. Say what you will about the previous story, but IMO it jumped the shark more than once and scrapped the bottom of the barrel by the end. I mean, the last map was basically a battle between “God” and “Satan”.

Haha. I saw Revelations more as Satan versus aliens. Aside from possibly Doom, I cannot think of another work of fiction that has done something to this caliber.

The Devil versus aliens fits the themes of zombies too. We have the interaction between the supernatural and science fiction. We also have the conflict being evil versus evil (or in this case, the literal embodiment of evil).

I think I'm one of the people who's... overall, VERY excited to see how this plays. A staff that pretty much zombifies things, with imagery the looks alike to Egyptian-esque stuff in the hands of what looks to be a secret cult-like group with origins back to Roman times. That sounds like something that's simply campy as hell, and y'know what, I love it.

Not to mention that... well...

Blood of the Dead is a thing.

Shit name, given, but... it exists.

I'm overall very hyped out for Zombies. They're delivering in a way I'd like to think is unprecedented compared to what they've done in the past, and it's an exciting prospect.

I'm very intrigued. I still think we'll see plenty of the OG crew. Don't forget that the campaign has been done away with and more focus is being placed onto zombies this year, and I firmly believe we'll start to get more than one zombies map per DLC, likely with two separate storylines running alongside each other that may end up being linked toward the end of the season.

Archived