Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Meh

Well... you guys can have a field day with this one.

Recommended Posts

I'm gonna cut to the chase.

 

I recently gifted an Xbox friend of mine Zombies Chronicles, and have been playing it with him recently. More-so, I've been playing for the purpose of achievements and aiming towards finally getting 100% achievements in a Black Ops game (even if I have one final achievement on BOII). We've talked about the maps and such, and in some cases he isn't okay with how different they look or how strange it is... especially considering the fact that he's very much not happy about Call of the Dead not coming back.

 

Anyways, moving on, we played Ascension the other day, and I made a comment regarding Widow's Wine in the spot PHD was. If I'm to be honest, my head canon's always been that Takeo was sick in COTD because he was allergic to prunes, which I guess was a thing in the mix of PHD? Could just be that I read the CoD Wiki back in the day and believed the strangest things, but I convinced myself of that, as it is one of the few things about the story in my head that makes things make good sense.

 

Anywho... my direct quote was: "Y'know, if you think about it, Widow's Wine kinda breaks the continuity, with COTD and all."

 

...*sigh*...

 

I shit you not, this is his response:

 

"Well, Zombies Chronicles is kind of in another universe."

 

*my headache intensifies*

 

 

I've had a few days to digest and argue this back and forth with him, as I very much understand that the purpose of Zombies Chronicles is to remaster the maps into something they previously couldn't be (literally the definition of a remaster). Unfortunately, he wouldn't have that. He's CONVINCED of this, and he's convinced that he is right because of the grand scheme of things revolving around the multiverse and the multiverse theory. I won't argue possibility, but at this point, pointing towards the multiverse as a reason for why this DLC is the way it is, pardon my french, such a fucking cop-out.

 

So, I'ma let you guys have a field day explaining why he might be right or wrong, in a way better than I could.

He'd think I'm an asshole for doing this, but I'm not gonna continually come back around to this conversation about Zombies Chronicles without evidence to support or anything like that. Either way, I'd appreciate a response.

 

Regards,

-The Meh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't played that DLC because well, I was upset that it existed. So I can't say whether it was an alternate reality. Could be though, the way the story looks. BUT, I've always attested that alternate realities should be a last-resort when figuring out story elements, because of its cop-out nature.

 

But the real reason I'm chiming in here is the Perks-A-Cola. Yes, PhD Flopper has prunes. Back in the day I made real-tasting Perks-A-Cola and combed through every character quote to discern their taste. I believe it was Tank who said that PhD Flopper not only tasted of prunes, but it was chewy. So yes, I drank not-fully-blended-prune-soda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Takeo’s sickness was due to teleportation and something he ate, “That’s what you get for eating raw fish!” For someone with a weak stomach teleportation seems to cause nausea. In the Der Riese trailer Nikolai is sick presumably after teleportation and Richtofen calls it “A mere side effect.”

 

As for the status of Zombie Chronicles, I think it is still Ultimis just with slight deviations to show this is a cycle, but things can change in each rotation. Differences like the perks, wunderfizz, guns, and gobblegums can be explained away as just gameplay conventions. But more subtle differences lead me to believe in something more. Things like Richtofen not having the space suit in Ascension, or the Shadowman. Not to mention the radios from Monty hinting that at one point they fought with Gersch, and that sometimes they were at Nacht and Verruckt, while other times not. So I think ZC is set in a different iteration of the cycle than the originals, but I do not think it is significant. I think the only reason it is this way was to explain inconsistencies, like new perks in BO3’s version, mule kick and cold war weapons in BO versions of WaW maps. I don’t think there is anything deeper. Just a neat bow to keep things contained and make anything possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MysteryMachineX said:

So yes, I drank not-fully-blended-prune-soda.

This kinda commitment is one of the reasons why I like you, MMX. I hope, you are doing good.

 

16 hours ago, The Meh said:

"Well, Zombies Chronicles is kind of in another universe."

This is exactly the reason why I do not care for this storyline anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the way your mate considers it as canon. Every zombie map or thing ever used to be canon. I know lots of stuff changed, but why wouldn't be that the case anymore? It kinda reminds me of the later added Mule Kick in Black Ops I.

Quote

The rockets hitting the earth will have made Moon's time loop, emerge with Earths normal time flow. Which would screw things up. But with the added impacts of the rockets. It would really screw things up, as you have this re-repeating point in time of rockets colliding into earth. The collision must be repeated, because if not, all of this would be null. Anyway, because Moon and Earth are now joined in a separate sub universe, then they can now share history. And in this case, it's mule kick.

TBXgRyan

Not sure if that theory is correct, though. Anyway, since Ultimis overloaded an MTD with a Wünderwaffe DG-2 and blew up Earth with three rockets containing Vril Eggs, the universe is pretty fucked up. I know it is lazy to say it like that, but the Temporal Rifts caused by these events are the explanation for for example the 1975 Kino note, the Perk-a-Cola machines and more out of place items. My best guess is that Blundell used this as a weak excuse to have Widows Wine in Ascension, instead of PhD Flopper (since you couldn't use that anyway in BO3, because of the sliding).

 

Anyway, if you can't have enough of PhD Flopper, @PINNAZ once made this very interesting theory about the story behind it:

 

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/topic/172599-floppermost-important-perk-storywiseconfirmed/

 

By the way, good to see you, @MysteryMachineX!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

On 4/23/2018 at 7:49 PM, MysteryMachineX said:

I haven't played that DLC because well, I was upset that it existed. So I can't say whether it was an alternate reality. Could be though, the way the story looks. BUT, I've always attested that alternate realities should be a last-resort when figuring out story elements, because of its cop-out nature.

 

But the real reason I'm chiming in here is the Perks-A-Cola. Yes, PhD Flopper has prunes. Back in the day I made real-tasting Perks-A-Cola and combed through every character quote to discern their taste. I believe it was Tank who said that PhD Flopper not only tasted of prunes, but it was chewy. So yes, I drank not-fully-blended-prune-soda.

 

DLC is what caused the Paradox’s and if we stayed away then we would be as closer to the main story than 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2018 at 8:49 PM, MysteryMachineX said:

I haven't played that DLC because well, I was upset that it existed. So I can't say whether it was an alternate reality. Could be though, the way the story looks. BUT, I've always attested that alternate realities should be a last-resort when figuring out story elements, because of its cop-out nature.

 

But the real reason I'm chiming in here is the Perks-A-Cola. Yes, PhD Flopper has prunes. Back in the day I made real-tasting Perks-A-Cola and combed through every character quote to discern their taste. I believe it was Tank who said that PhD Flopper not only tasted of prunes, but it was chewy. So yes, I drank not-fully-blended-prune-soda.

First (and least important) thing first, holy shit you came on to respond to this and I feel so humbled.

 

Second... it makes me happy to know you've seen the research regarding the whole "prune" thing with PHD. I don't know if you'd mind getting me an exact quote, but I'd love to hear it. Only supports what I've seen as head canon for... practically years at this point.

On 4/24/2018 at 12:20 AM, RadZakpak said:

I thought Takeo’s sickness was due to teleportation and something he ate, “That’s what you get for eating raw fish!” For someone with a weak stomach teleportation seems to cause nausea. In the Der Riese trailer Nikolai is sick presumably after teleportation and Richtofen calls it “A mere side effect.”

 

As for the status of Zombie Chronicles, I think it is still Ultimis just with slight deviations to show this is a cycle, but things can change in each rotation. Differences like the perks, wunderfizz, guns, and gobblegums can be explained away as just gameplay conventions. But more subtle differences lead me to believe in something more. Things like Richtofen not having the space suit in Ascension, or the Shadowman. Not to mention the radios from Monty hinting that at one point they fought with Gersch, and that sometimes they were at Nacht and Verruckt, while other times not. So I think ZC is set in a different iteration of the cycle than the originals, but I do not think it is significant. I think the only reason it is this way was to explain inconsistencies, like new perks in BO3’s version, mule kick and cold war weapons in BO versions of WaW maps. I don’t think there is anything deeper. Just a neat bow to keep things contained and make anything possible.

I wouldn't particularly be surprised if someone came out and said "oh hey, would ya look at that, it is actually just a stereotype from sushi and he actually did get sick from all the raw fish", and I can understand and certainly agree with the idea that teleportation causes adverse effects on the body and such. Not to mention that I completely forgot that quote from the trailer... though you could argue a lot of things about said trailer. I mean, zombies swarm Nikolai and you could say they killed him if you were so inclined to do so, and therefore un-canonize the whole thing. I won't make a big deal out of it either way, though.

 

Honestly, on the other half of things, I've not seen Zombies Chronicles as anything big or in effect to the story, more than I have seen them in a more artistic light.

 

Little Kid Doug: "Man, these maps are so different! They look so much more different compared to the previous maps, perhaps more detailed even! Complete areas look so different! WHOA, Der Wunderfizz is in a lot of these old maps! WHOA, Gobblegums too? Wowie..."

 

Well, of course it's different, Doug! It's a REMASTER! It's the point. You're bringing back fan-favorite maps, integrating them into the system of your game with all new mechanics (kinda like they did before with the four originals in BO1), and editing areas where, artistically for its time, probably could never have looked the way they do now. I get that you could totally denote that the Moon in this portrayal of it could be SUPER different to its portrayal in BO1, but it makes no sense to not boil everything down to artistic interpretation. Hell... if Black Ops III isn't a trial in such, I don't know what is.

On 4/24/2018 at 3:54 AM, Lenne said:

This is exactly the reason why I do not care for this storyline anymore.

I don't know if that's too harsh an understanding, but... don't worry. I can understand and somewhat agree.

On 4/24/2018 at 9:57 AM, anonymous said:

I like the way your mate considers it as canon. Every zombie map or thing ever used to be canon. I know lots of stuff changed, but why wouldn't be that the case anymore? It kinda reminds me of the later added Mule Kick in Black Ops I.

Not sure if that theory is correct, though. Anyway, since Ultimis overloaded an MTD with a Wünderwaffe DG-2 and blew up Earth with three rockets containing Vril Eggs, the universe is pretty fucked up. I know it is lazy to say it like that, but the Temporal Rifts caused by these events are the explanation for for example the 1975 Kino note, the Perk-a-Cola machines and more out of place items. My best guess is that Blundell used this as a weak excuse to have Widows Wine in Ascension, instead of PhD Flopper (since you couldn't use that anyway in BO3, because of the sliding).

 

Anyway, if you can't have enough of PhD Flopper, @PINNAZ once made this very interesting theory about the story behind it:

 

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/topic/172599-floppermost-important-perk-storywiseconfirmed/

 

By the way, good to see you, @MysteryMachineX!

I can both understand and respect that you are willing to agree with my friend's side of things. As much as I disagree with him, he deserves his counterarguments in a post that's biased to my beliefs more than they are his.

 

Truthfully, I don't exactly disagree with the purest notion or idea of his argument. I've the feeling, though, that I have had a lot of time with this story... and that, given all the different articulations and beliefs I would feel that separating the events of all of ZC (give or take Origins... I feel like Origins makes the most sense to be still canon) would be simply... wrong. As I've quoted above, my whole argument with this is that I separate the idea of the canonical from artistic interpretation. In my head, it's hard to denote ZC as literally anything else. It's the same maps with someone else's brand of paint in an attempt to blot out the blemishes, in my eyes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Call of Duty Zombies Code of Conduct

The Code of Conduct (CoC for short) for using the website can be found here

Our Privacy / Cookie Policy

Call of Duty Zombies privacy policy / cookie information can be found here

Our Terms of Use

The terms of use can be found here

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, Code of Conduct, We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. .