Why CoD 2018's first map will probably be set in London

• Moderators

So recently, I have been re-reading the comics and have been giving some thought to the direction this story may go given that issue #6 is the newest piece of media in this canon. I have been thinking of Blundell's tendency of teasing future maps with Black Ops III. There were little notes and coordinates connecting the current map to the upcoming one. But one small easter egg was found but shortly forgotten in Der Eisendrache that has only re-appeared once: at the last page of Comic #6. The easter egg in question is the London newspaper easter egg, which as of right now is not very well documented. There is a newspaper in the control room of Der Eisendrache which details a huge parade, pictured here:

image.png

Upon acquiring the flaming plunger through another small easter egg and killing zombies near the paper with the plunger, the zombies will warp away as if being teleported, and then upon looking at the paper it looks like this:

image.png

And after getting even more plunger kills, the paper will change once more. I appear to have run out of space for posting pictures, so I will post the others I mention in the comments. The last iteration of the paper reads "'ZOMBIE' ATTACK IN THE HEART OF LONDON!", with a nearby panel reading "Parliament gathers for emergency meeting"

The running theory with this easter egg is that since the plunger is taken from another time through time travel, killing zombies with it causes them to be sent through time to London, and we are changing the future through our actions. Now, this is a neat little easter egg, but it was not solid enough evidence of things to come to really be sure. However, over a year later, issue 6 of the comic series ended with an altered loading screen from the past, very similar to the ones in previous comics, but very few talk about this one. It appears like the original Mob of the Dead loading screen, but with a page torn and Richtofen's scribblings. But more interesting is the newspaper clipping tucked behind the page, which matches exactly the final iteration of the newspaper from Der Eisendrache, with the Parliament meeting text visible.

On one hand this could just be a way of connecting the theme of changing the past in the last comic to the paper which represents such actions. But I feel it is somewhat symbolic for this to be on the final page of the entire series, marking a sort of teaser for the future. This paper appearing twice is, I think an indication of London's future appearance in our game.

Personally, along with London, I feel Mob of the Dead will be remastered, with Victis as the playable characters, similar to The Giant. My primary reasoning is that Victis is put on ice at the end of the same comic teasing London, under Alcatraz. Also Blundell stated that since Mob was not in Chronicles, they had another use for it in the future. If that is the case, then I think the London map may be a stand-alone map with actors like Shadows of Evil, if we are following the same formula as BO3. But, Treyarch is known to break the formula, so who knows how this will play out?

What do you all think? Also, thank you @anonymous for suggesting I post this.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

@RadZakpak First off, I want you to know that I appreciate you, sadly I can't show it via liking your posts, cause for some reason I literally can't... like... the button isn't there.

Do you think the london map, which would be cool as hell, will be yet another night time map? Bit of a random question, I know, but I feel like it could really shine as a nighttime map. (No pun intended).

I also appreciate the fact, that you didn't call CoD2018 BO IV.

Thanks for the read and the pics and yourself.

• Moderators

@Lenne good to hear it's not just me who has that error. I also had it with Rad's prior post like the one about Richthofen he posted recently. I believe it might have something to do with the "edited" part underneath the OP page. Posts that aren't edited I actually can like. Not sure though.

@Radzakpak Excellent read as always. It seems that this London paper, together with the Victis-Alcatraz thing and an odd cipher in Revelations are the only intel about Zombies 2018 so far. I'll link this intel at the end of this comment.

Concerning London. In my opinion, it would be interesting if the map takes place in the three different fractures: the Parade one, the secret zombie attacks one, and the zombie outbreak one. Perhaps the characters "play" the map in the outbreak fracture, but through temporary Rifts they are allowed to travel to the other fractures as well. Or the starting cutscene takes place in one fracture, and the game itself is set in the outbreak fracture (similar to Shadows of Evil). And while talking about London, the City is also a good location for some Illuminati references (since we know, due to the Timeline and Alcatraz, that that organisation will reappear again): London is an old city, and has always been seen (espessially around WW2) as one of the, if not the most important global city's on Earth. An excellent location for a secret underground movement, infiltrated deeply into the city's important organs. 

And a final thing that popped into my head is that the Timeline is from Richthofen's vision, and it talks not about London. That means Ultimis or Primis (or Richthofen at least) won't be playable in that map. So you might be on the right track about the celebrities there.

Pröst!

NSA reports they found the Source on Venus

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Lenne said:

@RadZakpak

Do you think the london map, which would be cool as hell, will be yet another night time map? Bit of a random question, I know, but I feel like it could really shine as a nighttime map. (No pun intended).

That would be cool as a night map, but lately I’ve been wanting some brighter and more colorful maps like Shang. But I could go either way.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

It appears I was wrong about a map in London. Still, it begs the question what these easter eggs were meant to be. It could be they were just there to show we are altering history with every action we take in-game.

It's totally possible we will see more information about this easter egg in either Blood of the Dead or Classified. One thing that should be noted is that the paper appears pretty weathered, as if it were a pretty old paper, and we don't see a date or country of origin for the paper. My first thought was that the paper could be showing the events taking place in London during the events of "Five" and Ascension, considering the implication from the timeline and in-game is that zombies are appearing in many places around the world, and I'm sure Classified will give us some reasons as to why. But, why that paper from the 60s would be in 1945 Austria doesn't really make a whole lot of sense unless it was due to some weird timeline hullabaloo, and by now I'm sure Blundell has learned we are tired of that excuse.

More than likely, though, it doesn't mean much more than we are screwing up time and space.

Archived